• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

How many times will you buy the same music?

How many times will you buy the same music/album?

• I want every catalog number or variation, I don't care what it costs!

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • As long as there's SOMETHING new -- liners, photos or unreleased material -- I'm in

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I'm a stickler for packaging. If they restore or improve on the package, hook me up.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • It's gotta be remastered or forget it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As long as I'm upgrading in format (such as LP to CD), I'll buy it. Otherwise, no.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I'm more than happy with my original purchase, thanks.

• As long as I have good versions of everything the artist recorded, I'm usually a happy camper

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
If you are a big fan of a particular artist, how many times will you buy that favorite album (or albums) until you reach "the limit?"

Depends on how much I like an album. If it's just something I buy in passing, no new version is going to hook me.

If it was recorded before the CD era, lately I've been trying to get vinyl versions. Sometimes going to vinyl IS an upgrade. Many recent remasterings on CD sound so lousy, I won't waste my money on them. Helps to ask around first and find out what sounds good and what doesn't.

If a CD or artist is really a favorite, and I hear that the reissues sound good, I'll buy new versions. I'm still working on the Genesis catalog remasters, and even better, I have Peter Gabriel's studio albums on SACD now, as well as the five original Police albums (which I only have on CD in the box set...which is still valuable for the extra tracks).at least

That's another thing I consider--some CDs I've never liked the sound of, or felt they weren't 100%. Most (but not all) titles on the new formats like SACD and DVD-A are worth buying since they do surpass the sound on CDs I own. SACD being the most analog-like, it's the closest to having an actual master tape in the home. :) Not quite ashamed to say I now own four copies of Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue"...two bad CDs, one good one, and an excellent SACD that is essentially a direct transfer of the two-track master. :)

Thing is, talking about collecting music by certain artists, I don't just buy if packaging has been improved, or if it's a remaster "just because". My version of being a "completist" is to own all of the songs, not every version of an album (two LP versions, cassette, 8-track, three CD versions, etc.). Every collector follows their own path. :)

Yeah, you might have to add:

If there's a CHANCE of something new, I'll probably buy it.

And that's where I'd fit in to this poll. I guess the upcoming Mendes FOOL ON THE HILL re-issue in the US will put me into this category, since I'm eager to buy it, but have no clue if anything is new about it. Maybe it'll be packaging, who knows? I've already got three CDs for that album, but it's a favorite, and the hope of improvement will sway me.

When it comes to Carpenters or TJB, I'll just blindly buy everything that comes along, no matter how redundant, especially if it's easily obtainable. There are a couple of Carpenters compilation variations that I've passed on because of import expense, but I alway grab everything domestic.

When it comes to music that I just 'like' but don't obsess over, then my poll choice would be a lower one. A decent compilation or original album will suffice in those cases, and re-releases or upgrades just aren't necessary.

If one that I have is noticeably bad, then an upgrade, if it comes along, might be in the cards.

Harry
...unsure of which one to vote for, online...

Well, to me, some questions in the poll seemed similar, but "new packaging" and of course, "new liner notes" or "liner notes, PERIOD!" and especially, "bonus tracks" DO get me buying.

If I buy my UPTIETH vinyl copy of something and then FINALLY see it on CD, then I will move up to the newest format. But, by then, I could lose interest, all together, unless there's "something new in the packaging" or whatever.

"Two-Fers" of titles by certain artists are something I've taken a liking to, as well. But I'm generally disappointed in there sometimes being no "faithful reeinditions" of the original albums' "back-covers" and/or "inner sleeves".

Dave

...once "On A Roll" with the "New Stuff"...! :rotf: :wink:

As far as CarpenterS go I'm a completist. Every remix, remaster, new liner notes, domestic & foreign release etc...

I have several duplicate 45's of each C's release. several duplicate lp's of each release. Five sets of cd's spanning entire catalog. Three sets of which remain unopened. This collector's mentality is due to the WHAT IF it goes out of print issue. I have some that I may or may not give for gifts and so on.

When I will reach my limit? Hard to say. When the Carp's debut on SACD this too will tap the ol piggy bank.

Jeff

One thing that I also discovered recently is that I was buying discs based on music I was hearing on XM, as well as other discs recommended by other music fans or based on reviews. With that in mind, I tend to prefer buying new music I've never owned, vs. buying more versions of music I already own. I do "bargain hunt" and buy most stuff used, especially SACD and DVD-A titles, which sometimes have a higher list price but sell as used about on par with CDs.

Difficult to answer this one (a really good question, by the way, Mike) because as Harry observes it depends on the level of obsession you have for a particular artist. My well-known obsession with anythins that Sounds Orchestral did, for example, caused me to buy a white label promo copy of something that I not only have on 45, but also on two LPs, a CD and a 15ips quarter inch copy of the original master!!!

My penchant for Mr Alpert is slightly less obsessive (heaven knows I only bought a copy of SRO last week) but I have almost everything he did and some of it twice over.

What makes me go out and buy? An attractive sleeve always works for me (The first Sergio Mendes album was such an attraction!) and if it's something I already have, any kind of bonus - new sleevenotes, remix, bonus track, or even just an album I already have but with a new sleeve design.

Hey - if we could isolate what makes us buy things the marketing guys would be on our doorstep 24/7!!

In my post at the top, I said "if you are a big fan." So that would I guess assume that you are inclined to want everything that artist produced.

I hastily snapped up the recent three Heart reissues of BEBE LE STRANGE, LITTLE QUEEN and DOG & BUTTERFLY but was disappointed in them. The packageing did NOT include the lyrics, even though the previous CD releases did; the bonus material (as expected) was nothing to shout about; and the "liner notes" by Nancy Wilson were about one sentence for each song and sometimes not even that. Buyer beware.

It depends on the artist...I like to have all the variations of the TJB and BMB material because I really like the music, and respect the artist. And, I'm a sucker for the different pressings and cover art changes. I have needed to update my collection, because of the different listening media. I recently bought an 8 track version of CONEY ISLAND just to have it...no 8 track player, but the item was of definite interest. I have several copies of VOLUME 2...both back covers and even the rare CD. I have a copy of one TJB album that was originally sold in Canada...can't remember which album offhand...

I can't wait to hear TBAC and SUMMERTIME on CD after being remastered...and; believe it or not...there are some songs on SRO that I've never even heard in stereo...

As for other artists, there are some that I've been known to buy CDs of because I had the lps as a kid...BS&T, for example...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom