Interesting New Album: More Than Carpenters...By Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Everyone,

A friend of mine who knows I am a Carpenters fan, bought me a CD when he was in Taiwan recently. It is an album of cover versions of their hits, sung by a Gaynor Ellen. The whole album has its text written in Chinese (except for her name), so I really don't know its background, but Ms Ellen does sound a bit like Karen here and there, and in any case, she sings very well.

The interesting thing about the CD is that it uses the actual Carpenters Logo on its cover. The rest of the cover is just scenery (trees, a path etc). It is very nicely packaged - the CD jewel case comes in a hard cardboard insert with the same design. The music tracks are also arranged in a style close to the original, but sounds more like programmed music as opposed to the 'real thing'.

Track Listing:

There's A Kind of Hush
Please Mr Postman
Goodbye to Love
Yesterday Once More
I Won't Last a Day...
Jambalaya
Solitaire
Sweet Sweet Smile
We've Only Just Begun
Close to You
Superstar
Rainy Days...
Calling Occupants
For All We Know
Top Of The World
Only Yesterday

As I don't know how to post pictures, those who are interested in seeing the CD cover etc can drop me an email and I'll email them the attachment to view.

cheers,
calvin

When I saw this in Tower Records I was a bit confused and dubious because the cover didn't have their photo (very rare for recent releases, except maybe Love Songs). But because it has the authentic logo, I thought it must be official and I went ahead and bought it (I paid Japanese import price too!!! :evil: ) and was horrified to hear it wasn't the Carpenters recordings.

Don't care much for this myself - I am a completist but never really got the point of these types of ventures. Why settle for second best???

Stephen

Well, I tend to see this release as more of a tribute album kind of thing, and so for me, it does have 'a point'. In any case, mine had a paper 'covering' around the actual box (over which there was the shrink wrap) that had a photograph of the singer and her name, so when my friend bought it, he knew it was another singer singing their songs. In any case, my friend knows Chinese - must ask him one day what the writing was all about! Sorry to hear that you were 'duped' though.

BTW, I would imagine that most CD stores allow customers to test potential purchases, right? Or at least, their in-store staff should know whether they were all originals or by other artistes...

Hi Calvin

We dont have the luxury of testing potential purchases here in the UK, which is a shame. Some record stores have a set list of CDs you can listen to, but only CDs chosen by them (e.g. this week's hot releases).

Different to mainland Europe - in a record store in Munich I was able to listen to absolutely anything in the store first, with no obligation to buy.

My fault for not trusting my original hunch in the first place I suppose!!! :laugh:

Stephen

Speaking of Japanese release,

About "Carpenters Best Collection - Close To You -"(CD, BVC3-37015, 2004/9/22) on some websites they say it was performed by Carpenters, but I saw it would be music box CD on another site.

"BACHARACHMANIA(CD, CRCP-20356, 2004/8/25 )" which has "Close To You" is performed by Tito and nona. (I don't know them.)

"Remember The Carpenters - Close To You" is re-release DVD(CRBL10006, 2004/8/25), Of course by Carpenters.

Paul Weller will release "Studio 150"(CD, V2CP-200, 2004/09/01) which has "Close To You".
(In UK LP and SACD will be released.)

Sakura

Well, I guess one should be forgiven for not being able to tell if the CD was by the original artiste or not, since the official Carpenters logo was used. It's a pity this logo is not copyrighted (at least I don't think so)unlike ABBA whose logo, with one of the Bs inverted, is I believe, restricted from use except on official releases, because it is a registered trademark (ie if you look carefully, there is always a circle with an R at the top of the second A in all their official releases. In other non-official albums by ABBA, eg the many cover version, instrumental and karaoke albums available here, they don't use the logo but just spell ABBA in the normal way without the inverted B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom