• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Is there a video of the Carpenters performing "Sing" other than the "Live @ Budokan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

motownboy

I am working on presenting the quadraphonic mix of "Sing" from the Japanese CD-4 LP of "Singles 1969-73" on YouTube. Is there a performance clip that anyone knows of or has where Karen & Richard perform "Sing" - other than the Live @ Budokan?" Did they ever perform it as guests on a TV talk or variety show? Did they ever perform it on Sesame Street?

Any info and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
David

Didn't they first perform it on the "ROBERT YOUNG AND THE YOUNG" TV special?

Harry

I probably have a crappy VHS tape of it lying around here somewhere. I'll check it out and see whether or not it's YouTube-worthy.

Harry

They performed it on "Robert Young With The Young", but the leads are done by Arte Johnson. You can see them doing the 'la la's' along with the rest of the cast, kids, etc. They also performed part of it in 1976 during their fall tour. There's video from Holland. I can see if I can dig it up for you.

Harry & A&M Retro thanks for replying and for the info. I wasn't aware of the "Robert Young" special or the 1976 Holland video...Please let me know what you find. If there is no useable performance, I guess I will just have to be a little more creative...Again, thank you both :)

Sorry - I just checked that Robert Young special. I had it in my head that that's where they first performed the song - and it's true, but A&M Retroit is right - it is an Arte Johnson shtick number that Carpenters, Sandy Duncan and a bunch of kids all performed on it. So that's where Richard probably first came into contact with the song and they recorded it after that.

Harry

If my horrible memory serves, RC already had begun the initial "schmeckling" of doing Sing after he had heard it during the first rehearsals. Calls were placed and plans layed for the arrangement coming together in his head. Hence all the questioning concerns over the tune as a track let alone a single before RC could show off his ideas and forethoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom