• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Jo Stafford - 1930s/40s Vocalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayJayVA

This morning, while listening to PandoraRadio, I heard American singer JO STAFFORD
" an American singer of traditional pop music and jazz standards and occasional actress, whose career spanned four decades from the late 1930s to the early 1960s. She was admired by both critics and the listening public for the purity of her voice and was considered one of the most versatile vocalists of the era".
The song I heard her sing was AUTUMN LEAVES. She immediately reminded me of Karen's voice and singing style. I'm NOT saying she sounds LIKE Karen.:tsk: I'm just saying Jo Stafford's voice/tone/singing style was similar to Karen, decades before.

Her biography:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Stafford

I always loved the stuff she did with her husband Paul Weston as alter-egos Jonathan and Darlene Edwards. He'd play these ridiculously off-key piano riffs while she'd wreck the song with horrendously off-key, very-near-the-actual-melody, stylings.

Someone at the radio station used to drag out one of these comedy albums, all done totally tongue-in-cheek, with dead-serious artwork and liner notes, and we'd all have a great laugh.

Here's a sample:

It actually takes a great deal of talent to play that badly and sing that off-key.

Harry

Wow, this brings back childhood memories. Autumn Leaves was a favorite song of my mother's. When I'm feeling nostalgic and missing my mother I get out a homemade CD I have with songs by Jo Stafford, Ella Fitzgerald, Rosemary Clooney and Nat King Cole and give it a listen.

Beautiful song - thanks for posting. :agree:

I really like the remakes of "Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars" & "Try To Remember" by Jo Stafford. Both songs can be found on Readers Digest "Sweet With A Beat" (6 record or 9 record set) from either 1971 or 1972. Besides Jo's version of "You Belong To Me", I also liked The Duprees 1962 version & Vonda Shepard's remake (from one of the "Ally McBeal" TV Soundtracks). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom