• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Karen A Cappella

Status
Not open for further replies.

actcrna

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Richard would release an album of classic Carpenter's hits with only the lead / backup vocals, combined with just a pinch of his wonderful piano skills as a musical guide? Sort of the antithesis of karaoke!!

Since his big forte is arranging/conducting, I doubt he would do it...but it would be a very nice thing, no doubt.

I have, on more than one occasion, listened to the Singles SACD through only the centre speaker -- it's a pain disconnecting all the other speakers, but it lets me approximate hearing Karen a cappella.

Mike Blakesley said:
Since his big forte is arranging/conducting, I doubt he would do it...but it would be a very nice thing, no doubt.

He did the background arrangements and this format would expose them...big time. I think it'd be a fun thing to hear too.

Ed

Richard arranged for A Capella album several years ago when he was asked and asked again.

A few years ago I read that Richard wrote for chorus group or someone, and arranged "Merry Christmas Darling" for her daughter and school mates, I think.

I'd love to listen to Karen unplugged. However when Opal asked about this, Richard didn't seem to do it soon. Maybe someday....

Sakura

Gordo said:
I have, on more than one occasion, listened to the Singles SACD through only the centre speaker -- it's a pain disconnecting all the other speakers, but it lets me approximate hearing Karen a cappella.

You and me both, Gordo, but the pleasure I get out of just that voice is worth all the fiddling with the plugs and leads!!

John from Aus said:
You and me both, Gordo, but the pleasure I get out of just that voice is worth all the fiddling with the plugs and leads!!

Very true -- all that fiddling yields a few surprising moments that you never notice in the "standard" versions of the songs. For example, the overdubs towards the end of "Ticket To Ride" are split out amongst the speakers, and you get a really "raw" sound out of any one speaker that you don't notice until you're lacking the harmonization from the other speakers. Also, you can noticeably detect the splicing together of verse and chorus in "Goodbye To Love."

I think that would be an exceptional CD !!!- just having Karen's leads and background vocals with Richard playing piano - and a great way to continuing the preservation of their legacy - my 3 cents

Way back in 2004 I proposed much the same thing in this thread:

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3152&highlight=

I actually talked to my friends Paul Grein and Jon Konjoyan about this idea over breakfast once upon a time and they both liked the idea so much that they each offered to put together a letter proposing the idea to Richard. I don't recall exactly how the communication took place, but Richard received the proposal and emailed me (well, his assistant emailed me) saying it was a good idea and something to the effect of "Maybe some day." That's the last thing I heard.

The fact that this keeps coming up makes me believe the idea has legs. I don't know if anyone regularly checks email sent to Richard via the official Carpenters site—it's been practically moribund for a while now—but if it's still active perhaps we can send in a bunch of requests. Who knows?

Tony

Hello Gordo... this is my first post and I am SO glad to have found this forum! Thanks to a Jazz circular that came in the mail with a schedule of musicians on tour...Herb Alpert and his wife! From there I went online to take a look around and found the A&M website and that led me here!!

Anyway, I have a new home theater complete with the latest gear including SACD and DTS Master Audio 7.1 I was wondering why you would have to disconnect speakers in your system. You could simply turn down all the channels you don't want to hear, and leave the level UP for what you DO want to hear. If your levels still play at a minimum level, you could play your center channel level up to FULL, lower everything else and run the master level for comfortable listening.. I have the Onkyo here which lets you control in full all eight channels, or six in the case of SACD... Give it a try and let us know (O:

Also, I have been out of the Carpenter loop with regard to the latest releases, but how many albums are released in SACD ???

DO write when you get a moment.

Warm regards to all

....Gary

Hi, Gary! Welcome to the forum!

Alas, the issue is that my receiver is ancient and not likely to be upgraded anytime soon! It doesn't allow me to adjust the volume of individual channels, so that's why I need to fiddle with all the cables.

So far, there is only the one SACD Carpenters album: "Singles 1969-1981" from 2004 (not to be confused with the non-SACD album of the same name from 2000).

Hello again Gordo! Thanks for writing back..

Ok, I was also thinking that you would not be able to do what I suggested due to the limitations of your gear. Alas, that is true as you say. Well, I am sorry that you have to do it the old fashioned way with the cables. BUT, at least you could isolate Karen's vocal.

I have a few DVD concerts that make very good use of the center channel the same way. I have an Eric Clapton DVD that has his vocal and guitar ONLY in the center channel and its DRY with NO effects. This works great because it 'leads' the main right and left channels which are 'wet' and the rear surrounds with all the ambiance which really creates a nice live dimensional effect. I have other concert DVDs where the center channel is silent!!! Guess they don't want to expose the artist too directly (O:

Well then, I hope to stay in touch here, and it seems like a great group. Thanks for the info on the Singles CD. I will look into that, as I am sure it will sound very spacious with something different coming from each channel!

Is it safe to assume they routed the bass drum and bass THROUGH the subwoofer channel? That would be proper..

Take care,
Gary

Hi, again, Gary!

I must admit that I don't have that many SACDs. It's starting to feel as though I bought the SACD player solely for the Carpenters album!

That being said, the Carpenters album is most excellent, and I think it showcases the SACD format perfectly. From what I recall, the centre channel for most songs features the lead vocals plus bass & percussion. Richard's piano playing, plus the strings, tend to be on the front channels, while the rear channels (again, from what I recall) feature the rest of the band. The subwoofer does, indeed, feature the lower registers (as expected).

...The effect is more strong on some songs than others. I'd say the showpiece is "Calling Occupants," which closes the album; there are so many pieces distributed amongst the channels that they helped me diagnose connection issues when I first set up the system!

Ok Gordo..

Your last reply got me going, so, I went to Amazon, looked up the track listing and fell in love - and bought it !!! I can't wait to hear this in the theater with the full effect of 6 channels! Thanks for the continued writing and I look forward to your next one.

You know, I have pretty much every Carpenter LP except for a few of the last CD compilations. This will be the first in many years and a great way to get back into those great vocals and Richard's arrangements :)

Truly,
Gary

Congrats on your purchase, Gary! The SACD is truly stunning.

...Won't be long now until you, too, can hear Karen a cappella!

Thanks so much again Gordo. I look forward to this SACD and it should be in later this week. I will keep you posted. It will also be neat to hear the backing vocal tracks pretty much by themselves too!

Later my friend.

........Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom