Karen on Drums on AS4U and Horizon

NOW & THEN:

All drums played by Karen Carpenter, except "Jambalaya"—drums by Hal Blaine.
Now that surprises me. With the previous couple albums seeing Karen pretty much only drum on the album cuts, I never would have guessed Karen would have drummed on both Sing and YOM.

That's Karen. :)
Thank you very much Chris. And the last question is about This Masquerade from Now & Then: In Karen / Ella Medley of ATGB it is indicated that the drummer is Cubby O'Brien, but I am sure that the track used (including the part sung by Karen) of This Masquerade is the one from 1973. If this is correct, shouldn't Karen also be credited as the drummer on that medley?

I am sure that the track used (including the part sung by Karen) of This Masquerade is the one from 1973.

It's definitely the 1973 version, faded out into the rest of the newly recorded medley backing track recorded in early 1980.

Now that surprises me. With the previous couple albums seeing Karen pretty much only drum on the album cuts, I never would have guessed Karen would have drummed on both Sing and YOM.

I think Karen's light jazz chops stand out a mile on 'Yesterday Once More'. Same with 'This Masquerade'.

When I have a few minutes, I can give a breakdown of each song (by album through Horizon) in which Karen played drums.
Thank you so much, Chris!! There were so many tracks I did not know Karen had remained on the drums on the studio albums. For example, I always thought "Help" was Hal Blaine.

Great info Chris but I’m a little confused .. on the “Carpenters “ album , Karen didn’t drum on Rainy Days and Mondays but in the promo video, she’s drumming ?

Great info Chris but I’m a little confused .. on the “Carpenters “ album , Karen didn’t drum on Rainy Days and Mondays but in the promo video, she’s drumming ?
She's playing along and lip-syncing to the pre-recorded track for the promotional video to which you're referring, that's correct.

Offering (of course) was all played by Karen. So, here's the first of the album run-down "who's who" for albums 2-6:

CLOSE TO YOU:

1. "We’ve Only Just Begun": Hal Blaine

2. "Love Is Surrender": Karen Carpenter

3. "Maybe It’s You": Hal Blaine

4. "Reason To Believe": Hal Blaine

5. "Help": Karen Carpenter

6. "(They Long To Be) Close To You": Hal Blaine

7. "Baby It’s You": Hal Blaine

8. "I’ll Never Fall In Love Again": Karen Carpenter

9. "Crescent Noon": Karen Carpenter

10. "Mr. Guder": Karen Carpenter

11. "I Kept On Loving You": Hal Blaine

12. "Another Song": Karen Carpenter
Chris, thanks for the run down on the albums for which tracks Karen played drums.

I really think this would be valuable info to place on each of the official review album threads.
I would suggest sticking it maybe on the first page (can you edit your first post and place it there?) instead of adding it on the tail end that will just get buried over more pages yet to come. If that makes sense?

A SONG FOR YOU:

1. "A Song For You": Hal Blaine

2. "Top of the World": Hal Blaine

3. "Hurting Each Other": Hal Blaine

4. "It’s Going to Take Some Time": Hal Blaine

5. "Goodbye to Love": Hal Blaine

6. "Intermission": N/A

7. "Bless the Beasts and Children": Hal Blaine

8. "Flat Baroque": Karen Carpenter

9. "Piano Picker": Hal Blaine

10. "I Won’t Last a Day Without You": Hal Blaine

11. "Crystal Lullaby": Karen Carpenter

12. "Road Ode": Hal Blaine

13. "A Song For You" [Reprise]: See Track #1
I’m quite shocked that Karen did not perform more drumming on ASFY album, 2 tracks seems barely any.
I like that she performed more drumming on Horizon.
I’m also dumbfounded that she did not perform any drumming on her own solo album. It’s a question I would have loved to ask her had the album been released. Someone who loved it so much, did she not even think, hey I want to drum on this particular track on my album. It makes no sense, what was the reasoning?

Looking at the recording dates for Karen's drumming on Horizon I see all her selections were recorded in mid/late '74. They then took Nov/Dec off and when they resumed in Jan '75 in comes Jim Gordon - interesting. . .there's plenty of beef behind her drumming in Postman but I guess they wanted even more might for potential singles like Only Yesterday and Solitaire.

I really don't know when she wasn't featured on the Hush album because that whole LP is kind of soft so her jazzy playing would've fit in perfectly on songs like Goofus, Boat to Sail and I Have You. In fact the first 2 of those tracks featured their live drummer Cubby so she could've easily laid down the tracks on those. They were tracked in Dec '75 - maybe her strength hadn't properly returned yet after her hospitalization in Aug.

Who knows.

Great info though.

Neil

Many thanks @Chris May for putting this together! :b-drums:

s-l1600.jpg

If there was more contracted real estate available in the Musical Legacy book, I would have included the names of ALL of the musicians that played on each and every session—including the orchestra. Just didn't have the space (nor the time) to populate all of that.

Hey all! I was kept up last night thinking about this, as there were two titles in particular that I needed to go downstairs into my archives to verify.

"Saturday" and "Druscilla Penny" were in fact NOT played by Karen. I knew I needed to fact check these a little better, but went against my instincts. Anyway, Hal Blaine played on both of those recordings, of which the entries above have been corrected @ullalume and @newvillefan.

My apologies. And like I told Harry, I'm just grateful that I'm sitting on all of the resources needed to accurately fact check this stuff. It just takes a little time and I need to stop getting lazy on a few of these haha!

Last edited:
...AAND, then he announces a Japanese version of his book!

Back
Top Bottom