Karen on Drums on AS4U and Horizon

...AAND, then he announces a Japanese version of his book!
That one was (semi) news to me. We knew it was coming out, as I'd recommended Yuka for the translation. However, we assumed it would be later in the year.

Hey all! I was kept up last night thinking about this, as there were two titles in particular that I needed to go downstairs into my archives to verify.

"Saturday" and "Druscilla Penny" were in fact NOT played by Karen. I knew I needed to fact check these a little better, but went against my instincts. Anyway, Hal Blaine played on both of those recordings, of which the entries above have been corrected @ullalume and @newvillefan.

My apologies. And like I told Harry, I'm just grateful that I'm sitting on all of the resources needed to accurately fact check this stuff. It just takes a little time and I need to stop getting lazy on a few of these haha!
It's nice to know you're not perfect, Chris. I knew we'd find a flaw eventually.

But I do need to be a little less careless if I'm going to stick my neck out and post lists of things. My head isn't "in it" quite like back in the day, so I have to refer to the data to verify this or that occasionally. Like I said earlier, I'm just thankful I've been able to acquire the resources to do so. :)

But I do need to be a little less careless if I'm going to stick my neck out and post lists of things. My head isn't "in it" quite like back in the day, so I have to refer to the data to verify this or that occasionally. Like I said earlier, I'm just thankful I've been able to acquire the resources to do so. :)
Dude. You're a star. Less of the self doubt. Anything is great.

Hey all! I was kept up last night thinking about this, as there were two titles in particular that I needed to go downstairs into my archives to verify.

"Saturday" and "Druscilla Penny" were in fact NOT played by Karen. I knew I needed to fact check these a little better, but went against my instincts. Anyway, Hal Blaine played on both of those recordings, of which the entries above have been corrected @ullalume and @newvillefan.

My apologies. And like I told Harry, I'm just grateful that I'm sitting on all of the resources needed to accurately fact check this stuff. It just takes a little time and I need to stop getting lazy on a few of these haha!
But please tell me you were correct with Karen being on drums for "Help" because I love the drumming in that song. 🤗

Chris, In the very early years, a lot of the songs that Carpenters did live were songs where Karen was also the session drummer. Karen and Richard were sticklers for trying to make the live performances sound like the albums, Did Hal and Karen bounce ideas off each other on the ones that were with him so that she could mimic the studio sessions as close as possible?

Individually, Hal had such awesome sweeps up and down his toms, and Karen had some amazing licks and fills of her own. But on Hal’s numbers, Karen really was very versatile with everything Hal did and made it work for their performances. During the time you spent with Hal, did this ever come up in conversation?

Chris, In the very early years, a lot of the songs that Carpenters did live were songs where Karen was also the session drummer. Karen and Richard were sticklers for trying to make the live performances sound like the albums, Did Hal and Karen bounce ideas off each other on the ones that were with him so that she could mimic the studio sessions as close as possible?

Individually, Hal had such awesome sweeps up and down his toms, and Karen had some amazing licks and fills of her own. But on Hal’s numbers, Karen really was very versatile with everything Hal did and made it work for their performances. During the time you spent with Hal, did this ever come up in conversation?
Not so much with Hal per se, but Richard and I have talked about it. Typically Hal had his signature "licks" that he did whenever the bar chart he was given had a place where Richard indicated "fill." However, it wasn't uncommon for Karen (and Richard) to suggest something to Hal one way or the other. Karen learned a lot from Hal and emulated him to some degree. They were always happy with Hal's work in the studio and considered it essential to recreate live.

I'm not entirely sure I answered your question, but it was kind of a give and take, with Hal being given the freedom to do what he did unless given a specific thing to try if that makes sense. Case in point, the syncopation leading into the third grouping of "Waaahs" in "(They Long to Be) Close to You." Hal played it, but Karen came up with it. This wasn't entirely uncommon.

@Chris May Hi Chris, I've read your conversation message but I'm unable to reply with my email address. No text box to reply seems to come up is there another way to contact you? Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom