• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Kinks' Davies Paralyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Some sad news: The Kinks Dave Davies has been hospitalized by a stroke. From CNN:

Kinks' Dave Davies partially paralyzed

LONDON, England (AP) -- Dave Davies, one of the founding members of British rock group the Kinks, has been partially paralyzed by a stroke he suffered in June, his spokesman said.

Spokesman Alan Robinson said Davies, 57, would have to spend at least another month in the hospital but that doctors were confident that with physiotherapy he would recover.

"He is paralyzed on the right-hand side of his body but he retains some feeling and he can still hold a guitar plectrum," Robinson said Monday. "These small things mean ... a lot. They're small but very important."

Davies, who founded The Kinks in the early 1960s with his brother Ray, collapsed June 30 while promoting his new solo album, "Bug."

One of the best of the guitar-driven bands of the 1960s "British Invasion," The Kinks had a string of hits including "You Really Got Me," "All Day and All of the Night," "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" and "Lola."

Ray Davies, 60, the band's chief singer and songwriter, was shot in the leg by a thief who snatched his girlfriend's bag as the pair walked in New Orleans in January.

Capt. Bacardi

Back in 1980, I heard a song called "Imaginations Real" from Dave Davies on "AFL-1-3603" (RCA) on the former FM station WHNN 96.1 in Saginaw, MI & that song blew me away. Another good song is "In You I Believe". There is a Japanese import of the album as well as BGO (Beat Goes On) label as well as 1981 "Glamour" (2 albums on 1 or 2 CD's). Found out at: www.circuitcity.com (Circuit City). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Dave Davies' AFL-1-3603 (incidentally that was not only the title but the stock #) was the first LP to feature a UPC code, hence the strange title and picture of Davies as a UPC code.

There is much debate as to what LP was first to carry the UPC. DEVO claims the title of "first LP to bear a UPC" as well and featured the UPC code of their second LP Duty Now For The Future prominently all over the packaging (similar to Davies' packaging gimmick)... The dispute is likely more a "WB vs RCA" thing than a "Davies vs DEVO" thing...

--Mr Bill
who prefers pre-UPC clean 12x12 packaging

Mr Bill said:
Dave Davies' AFL-1-3603 (incidentally that was not only the title but the stock #) was the first LP to feature a UPC code, hence the strange title and picture of Davies as a UPC code.

There is much debate as to what LP was first to carry the UPC. DEVO claims the title of "first LP to bear a UPC" as well and featured the UPC code of their second LP Duty Now For The Future prominently all over the packaging (similar to Davies' packaging gimmick)... The dispute is likely more a "WB vs RCA" thing than a "Davies vs DEVO" thing...
Although, pre-UPC, there was a group called Crowbar who recorded for Epic Records; in 1974, they put out an album entitled KE 32746 which, by some strange coincidence, happened to be the catalogue number Epic assigned to that LP. I.I.N.M., there was an act on Capitol around that same time that released an album whose title was the same as its catalogue number. So Mr. Davies wasn't blazing any trails in that regard; and then, there was Yes' 90125 . . .

Peter, Paul & Mary's ALBUM 1700 was Warner Bros. # 1700 when it was issued in the late '60s.

The first album I purchased with a bar code was STORMWATCH by Jethro Tull in late 1979.

JB

"The act on Capitol", who named their LP after its catalogue number was none other than Former A&M Recording Artists, Mike Brewer & Tom Shipley.

I had a new copy of that album (which I forgot the name [and NUMBER] of!! :tongue:) and enjoyed the first song "Free Play", I think it was :?: and another title that escapes me, "The Ecocatastrophy Blues". :?: I think a new version, or rather, a remake of their earlier A&M recording, "Keeper Of The Keys" is on there, too! :badteeth:

Dave

...Yeah...The guys who did "One Toke Over The Line"...!! :goofygrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom