• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

LA REDCAT - April 3rd - FULL Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to wait until the morning, but I have tomorrow off and I am still
"up", so I thought I would report in now. Let me start by saying, that if they were not rolling tape or hard drives tonight, man did they miss something special. Tonight easily smoked both San Diego shows and rivaled the Vibrato shows. The REDCAT theater is just the perfect spot. No one even coughed during the show! The crowd as so quiet during the music
and then just erupted after each take. No dishes or glasses tinkling or people talking. You would have thought that the entire audience was told that they were recording this evening and we were the privileged few to witness this historic event. Which we were! The acoustics are just stellar and it is such a small little theater. It is going to be tough to top any of these two REDCAT shows sound and crowd wise. They were filming the entire show tonight with a mobile steady cam and second camera that was fixed! Man what was the last time Herb Alpert played in a small theater in downtown Los Angeles?
What is also really cool is that the REDCAT is general seating. I grabbed a prime seat 4th row dead center in front of Herb. A few minutes later a gal
put six reserved signs on the seats to left of me. The name on the reserved signs? Jerry Moss! Sure as $#!^, Jerry and family stroll in and Jerry Moss sits right next to me. I got to chat with the man before and after the show. It was such an amazing thing to watch him bobbing his
head the entire show and just beaming at his friend and wife while they created lightning in a bottle this evening. Such a friendship and partnership
he and Herb share. And all those memories they must have together. Jerry was like a proud papa the entire night. Eden Alpert and family were also in attendance. I got Herb's own set list once again, so let's get to the music that was played on this magical April night in Los Angeles.

BERIMBAU

WHAT NOW MY LOVE/NIGHT AND DAY - Did I just type "What Now My Love"?
Yeah I did. The hair on the back of my neck is still standing on end and vibrating! Herb brought out the twin-belled Gemini for the first time. He is now calling it the "Mutant Trumpet"! What else can I say, just jaw-dropping.

PARARAIO

BESEME MUCHO - I used the term "Stunning" to describe this track live in San Diego, I have no words to describe it this evening. It was that good.

THAT OLD BLACK MAGIC

LET'S FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE - Herb made a mistake and and was going to announce the two Bill Cantos songs and Lani waved him off like presidential spin doctor or a good cop taking over for the bad cop during an interrogation gone awry! Herb Laughed and said, "That's what happens when you get gray hair and all of sudden you get that old Satchel Paige ringing in my ear - 'How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was'!
Well I'll tell you, I would be 53. But when I look in the mirror I don't see it man!" Priceless. Jerry Moss chuckled through this entire exchange.

MORNING COFFEE

WHO ARE YOU

I'VE GROWN ACCOSTOMED (Spelled this way on the set list) TO HER FACE - Sung to Lani with such love and feeling. Not a sound from the crowd, they hung on Herb's every note. The new "This Guy's In Love With You" as far as I'm concerned. If A&M were still pressing 45's, tonight's rendition would be hitting the streets in the morning.

DINORAH/MORNING

JUST LIKE A STAR/A TASTE OF HONEY - Simply killer. Lani devoured "Like A Star". Goosebumps. Then Herb kicked into "Taste" and Jerry was rocking like Ray Charles! Best take on these two tunes so far.

I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN/RISE - Best version I have heard so far

PAPER MOON

CORCOW-TRISTE-ONE NOTE SAMBA - First standing ovation

FIRST ENCORE - That's right, we got two Encores tonight!

YOU GO TO MY HEAD/LIKE A LOVER - The lyricists of "Like A Lover", Marilyn & Alan Bergman were in the audience and Herb thanked them before starting. Lani then proceeded to tear up "Like A Lover" with
such nuanced heartfelt phrasing, it brought tears to many in the crowd.

LAURA - Second standing o

SECOND ENCORE

HAPPY WOMAN - Third standing o

ALTERNATE SONGS - NOT PLAYED

MY FUNNY VALENTINE - We still have not heard this yet this tour. I hope maybe tomorrow night.

WHEN SUNNY GETS BLUE - Wow. I would love to hear this also!

WILD IS THE WIND

Well I'm off to bed. Looking forward to tomorrow night. Until then.
Did I just hear Herb Alpert play "What Now Love"? Couldn't be.

I better get some sleep.

Thanks guys. I know I am not the best writer on this great board,
but I always try and write from my heart. I've added some more to the
report after I recalled a few more things after waking up - this afternoon!

Great job, Scott!

If they keep getting better and better, the roof should be coming off in the Big Apple and Beantown! We can't wait...

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom