• Don't forget to let us know which streaming services you use regularly. Vote in our poll here.
  • The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Live At Palladium CD Quality

Kristopher

So other then LP I’ve Listened to a LP Rip I did back in 2007 when I was 18. Sounded good enough until I finally got the “pickwick” CD.

Omg it sounds horrible. I’ve upgraded to a nude elliptical stylus and just did a new vinyl transfer... my new transfer sounds better then the pickwick CD! (And very clean)

Is there a better disc version out there that has more depth?

GDB2LV

Pickwick is a budget label. Probably bad transfers or second generation. Sometimes they’re ok, often poor sound. I only have the 2 Japanese versions. First one from white box set, listening to it now. Pretty good. The Shm version is definitely good! Unfortunately they will both cost a small fortune to obtain them . Best of hunting though.

Kristopher

Pickwick is a budget label. Probably bad transfers or second generation. Sometimes they’re ok, often poor sound. I only have the 2 Japanese versions. First one from white box set, listening to it now. Pretty good. The Shm version is definitely good! Unfortunately they will both cost a small fortune to obtain them . Best of hunting though.
I’ll listen to my rip or try to find a lossless torrent until I find one. (I don’t feel bad downloading if I KNOW I’m gonna buy it and own it on other formats.) If I don’t find torrent vinyl transfer it is for now.

I saw an SHM disc but didn’t know if it was the same transfer. I appreciate you telling me.

Kristopher

So I just got the Japanese SHM of Palladium... and omg my mind is blown away. What were the source tapes for the original pickwick release and the newer release?

The original sounds terrible.

Strange this is only a hand limited release... came with all kinds of stuff I love it!

raz42289

I might have to get me a copy of the SHM CD if it sounds better than the Pickwick CD. I've always thought it was weakest in Carpenters catalog regarding sound quality.

GaryAlan

I always felt that the 'sound quality' of the UK- pressed vinyl LP sounded terrible,
so it was no surprise to me that the Pickwick cd suffered.
The japanese vinyl-pressing of the LP is hardly an improvement, if memory serves (I'll listen to it later today).

Top Bottom