LOST TREASURES Re-Issue

Too late. The prices on eBay right now are actually rather tame. Same with Discogs.

There are some really good things on LOST TREASURES. But as we discussed when it was new, there's a lot of stuff on it that wasn't quite "lost".

If I were compiling a new version of LOST TREASURES, I'd eliminate all of the YOU SMILE tracks (there are five of them - and YOU SMILE is back in print). I'd leave in "Fire And Rain" and "Whistlestar" since both of those were non-album singles and tougher to find. Yeah, I know 'Fire And Rain' appeared on a UK LP compilation, but again, tough to find these days.

Then I'd add in the two bonus tracks that were on the Shout! WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS disc, since those two have fallen by the wayside in the newest reissues.

Doing that would still give you a 51-minute album and just about all of the tracks were pretty much "lost".

Agreed with all of the above, and I would put add "Desert Dance" (from the T.J.B. TV special) if indeed it exists as a studio recording.

Either way I'm glad to see it coming out again; I always considered it quite a shame to be out of print.

f I were compiling a new version of LOST TREASURES, I'd eliminate all of the YOU SMILE tracks (there are five of them - and YOU SMILE is back in print). I'd leave in "Fire And Rain" and "Whistlestar" since both of those were non-album singles and tougher to find. Yeah, I know 'Fire And Rain' appeared on a UK LP compilation, but again, tough to find these days.

Then I'd add in the two bonus tracks that were on the Shout! WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS disc, since those two have fallen by the wayside in the newest reissues.
Harry, what about Mexican Drummer Man?

This got me thinking: A unique Herb comp would regard all the non-TJB songs to which he lent his distinctive trumpet. I know of these:
  • Claudine -- Manha De Carnaval ('67)
  • Waylon -- Rave On; Love Denied; Four Strong Winds; ('64)
I'm sure there are others -- particularly prior to WC&OD (mid-65)

Yeah, well, we'd all like to see "Mexican Drummer Man" too, but I wasn't digging to find stuff that wasn't out before, just the stuff that was deemed release-worthy for that first Shout compilation.

As for Herb appearances on others' recordings, that's a total other animal as LOST TREASURES is supposed to focus on the TjB. There are many one-off Herb appearances, but Herb doesn't own those masters like he does his own stuff. All of those Herb solos on the old A&M Records albums belong to Universal now and he'd have to license them back - depending on how many even still exist after the big conflagration.

The earliest example is probably "The French Song" on Lucille Starr's album.

I wouldn't expect anything different from the original release. My guess is that this recording and the others were licensed to Shout Factory for a specific period of time. It won't be a high-demand title like Whipped Cream, in other words--it's for collectors like us, not the casual fan who buys a Greatest Hits package.

I forgot about those two tracks from Whipped Cream--I hope they see light of day, one of these years. If anything else is added to Lost Treasures, which I doubt, it would be a pleasant surprise.

I dug out my copy about a month or two ago. "Tradewinds" still remains a favorite. I think now, as I did, fifteen years ago, that it's the best track on the album. I think it was a good choice to start with "Up Cherry Street" and then bookend it with "Whistlestar". As far as tracks to eliminate, I'd go with "And I Love Her", "Close To You" and "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". Since I stream my music now, I hope to see this release on Spotify.

Amazon had a new copy of this for $136.00 but now has some used copies starting at less than $8.
The "new" copy is not listed as of today.

As is, except for necessary logo & graphics changes.
I'm guessing that the Shout version booklet will NOT be included, though it probably should be. These re-releases are supposed to be replications of the original albums, and the first and original LOST TREASURES had a booklet.

I'm assuming this will be a CD. Any other formats?

Downloads for sure. Hopefully hi-res, like all the others. It would be interesting to know if this is just a reissue of the Shout masters, or if the tracks were newly mastered.

Vinyl would be fun, but very unlikely given the limited interest in this title.

I'd appreciate a PDF of the original Lost Treasures booklet with the download, as many labels do this with their releases.

Cool Corner feature idea - scans of the Shout! booklets (or maybe just the liner notes text itself) with the graphics and credits of each album. Of course it's probably all copyrighted by Shout! but I doubt they'd raise an issue with it, since the versions on their label are now out of print.

Yeah, it's probably a copyright nightmare. 😁 But it would be nice to read those again. Mine are all back in storage.

and the first and original LOST TREASURES had a booklet
(Yeah, containing one of those highly informative Josh Kun essays where he writes for the umpteenth time about how Herb wasn't trying to create a latin sound...)

True dat. I remember they got repetitive after the first couple of booklets.

Harry, what about Mexican Drummer Man?

This got me thinking: A unique Herb comp would regard all the non-TJB songs to which he lent his distinctive trumpet. I know of these:
  • Claudine -- Manha De Carnaval ('67)
  • Waylon -- Rave On; Love Denied; Four Strong Winds; ('64)
I'm sure there are others -- particularly prior to WC&OD (mid-65)
Interesting. Had no idea he was part of these tunes. Manha de Carnival is a good tune. And I’d love to hear him fully cover Ian Tyson’s Four Strong Winds.

Yeah, well, we'd all like to see "Mexican Drummer Man" too, but I wasn't digging to find stuff that wasn't out before, just the stuff that was deemed release-worthy for that first Shout compilation.

As for Herb appearances on others' recordings, that's a total other animal as LOST TREASURES is supposed to focus on the TjB. There are many one-off Herb appearances, but Herb doesn't own those masters like he does his own stuff. All of those Herb solos on the old A&M Records albums belong to Universal now and he'd have to license them back - depending on how many even still exist after the big conflagration.

The earliest example is probably "The French Song" on Lucille Starr's album.
If Universal still possesses those masters, of course. Given the notorious fire, I’d have doubts.

Cool Corner feature idea - scans of the Shout! booklets (or maybe just the liner notes text itself) with the graphics and credits of each album. Of course it's probably all copyrighted by Shout! but I doubt they'd raise an issue with it, since the versions on their label are now out of print.

Yeah, it's probably a copyright nightmare. 😁 But it would be nice to read those again. Mine are all back in storage.

I can't see why this would be a problem at all. Discogs has many, many images of liner notes on all sorts of releases.

Interesting. Had no idea he was part of these tunes. Manha de Carnival is a good tune. And I’d love to hear him fully cover Ian Tyson’s Four Strong Winds.

Is it confirmed that it is in fact Herb on Manha De Carnival? Doesn’t sound like him...

Back
Top Bottom