• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Lovelines

Kristopher

Lovelines is my second favorite album next to offering. Does it seem strange to me but when I listen to it it sounds like a full album. Every song on the album is perfect from start to finish. the only exception is two of the solo songs from Karen’s own which I really never cared for...
Title track and if I had you I was fine with them being touched by Richard making a massive difference and showcasing his talent. The album has a nice blend of songs. I read somewhere that Richard Carpenter recorded a song or two from passage with him as me the lead vocalist. I think it would’ve been better to include those instead of the other two solo tracks he didnt touch and make it feel more like a carpenter’s album from the old days and maybe it would’ve sold Better.

Thoughts? Do you guys feel about feel about this album?

I put an error doing speech to text sorry lol. I didn’t mean to put him as me I meant I heard he recorded the songs from passage with him as lead vocalist.

The album has a nice blend of songs.

Thoughts? Do you guys feel about feel about this album?
It's one of my favorite Albums and in my opinion it was worth all the effort and work Richard put into it and very well worth the cost of the CD I have a few favorite standouts on there "Lovelines." " If We Try". "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night." "You're The One". And "Honolulu City Night." And i was in my early 20s when this came out in 1989 and being a Carpenters fan I thought It was Nice to have something fresh and new From the Carpenters come out in the middle of a mostly electronically dominated music scene at the time

I really like `lovelines` and in fact, is my favourite album, I listen to it at least once a week.
I think it`s a shame more of these tracks don`t get radio play to be honest, instead of the 3-4 tracks they always seem to play here in the U.K on BBC radio 2 :)

All the songs that were deleted from Made in America could have easily been put onto the eight track. I have three copies of the eight track for made an America. I have an extra alternate version for those good old dreams On 8 track only as a bonus track.

I have hundreds of eight tracks where deleted b-sides appear on the album but not record or cassette. Take Cher’s 1971 album. “Don’t put It On Me” was the Bside to “way of love” but appeared on the 8 track.

They could have easily slipped all the deleted tracks on 8track (the ones that got finished obviously.)

I agree with one difference; Lovelines should have been Voice of the Heart in 1983 (and replace the Karen solo tracks with the few good tracks from VOTH).

I don’t think Lovelines would have worked in 1983. The album is rich, warm and full of romantic ballads, many of which have a positive vibe to them. For that reason, I don’t think they’d have been suitable for a KC tribute album, which is what VOTH ultimately was. VOTH as it stands is bleak and depressing, which is probably the mood Richard was feeling when he produced it, so I think it was the right album at the right time.

I don’t think Lovelines would have worked in 1983. The album is rich, warm and full of romantic ballads, many of which have a positive vibe to them. For that reason, I don’t think they’d have been suitable for a KC tribute album, which is what VOTH ultimately was. VOTH as it stands is bleak and depressing, which is probably the mood Richard was feeling when he produced it, so I think it was the right album at the right time.

Lovelines has its fair share of downbeat moments as well ('Where Do I Go From Here', 'The Uninvited Guest', 'Little Girl Blue'), particularly if you take the solo tracks out of the equation, which are all largely upbeat, but I agree that the overall mood of the tracks on Voice of the Heart was more appropriate to the circumstances in which the album was released in 1983.

I think a lot of the carpenters albums are about depressing sad things. I mean when I was a teenager i listened to goodbye to love one day and I could see girls going “emo” to this if they got dumped and they weren’t on their meds. Beautiful song but over and over similar messages.. “being forgotten about”, alone in “solitaire”, I need to be in love, I want you back in my life again (the relationship is over honey) Rainy days and Mondays the list goes on.

Carpenters are my favorite artist but I will say in just MY opinion they ALL have depressing songs on them. Even going back to Offering. Their original Christmas single was singing about being without the one you love on Christmas Eve. That’s sad. Lol

There are lots of happy songs on all albums albums which is why I like offering so much... but I remember one person reviewing that in an eerie way certain songs reflected her life.

What’s Makes those sad songs so amazing is that they are genuine.... I feel emotion in Karen’s voice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom