• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Lung Capacity - Karen Vs Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Hello all,

We're all aware of Karen's stunning lung capacity on many songs, most significantly on Goodbye to Love - "Time and time again. . . .live without it".

However, when I sing along I think that Richard has her beat in the Como Medley. . .in one breath he sings "Love blooms at night. . . . .. you're the only one I'll ever love".

Try it. . .the second line's harder.

Neil

P.S. There's a chance there's a cut before he sings the line "Don't keep your heart. . . .", but I don't hear it.

Karen had incredible breathing control and Goodbye to Love's intricate demands in that area demonstrated how effortlessly she could do it. For a good amount of the song, however, it seems that she's so focused on breathing that, emotionally, her reading is rather sterile. She forgets to put the aching emotion into the words because she's concentrating on the technical task.

I get a lot more feeling in her voice after the first guitar solo where she is given a chance to focus less on the complex breathing, "...what lies in the future.." and so on from there. And those overdubbed "Ahhh's" are so sad and haunting along with Tony's amazing guitar.

Another is the end of the Rainy Days medley from the special (featured on As Time Goes By) "Me dowwwwwwnnnn..." She holds that note with a very slow, steady vibrato for quite a while. In fact I have the raw footage from the studio at Capitol where the harmonica is non-present and strings are dry with no reverb. You clearly hear the length in which she holds the note. Just beautiful!

Do you think you could get permission to post it? I once had a group of friends that claimed it was tweeked, but I could hear that it was all in one breath. It would be great to have diffinitive proof for all the doubters. It is the icing on the cake in Rainy Days and Mondays for me! I am sure it has copyright restrictions. I will just trust your descriptive words.
As an aside, I thought you used tracks the rest of us did not have access to in your radio download program, or possibly recordings from the Japan releases. It's nice to know all that work is treasured in the right hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom