🎵 12" SotW M: "Pop Muzik" b/w "M Factor" (Sire Records SRK 6084)

M1697599555380.png
"Pop Muzik" b/w "M Factor"

Sire Records DSRE 8887
Released 1979
Speed: 33â…“ RPM

A1: Pop Muzik (Long Version) / 4:58​
B1: M Factor / 2:32​

Alternate promo version released as Sire PRO-A-824

A1: Pop Muzik / 3:20 (single edit)​
B1: Pop Muzik (Long Version) / 4:58​

M is a pseudonym for London-based singer, musician and composer Robin Scott

Credits from the album New York, London, Paris, Munich (Sire SRK 6084):

Bass, Guitar – Julian Scott
Drums – Philip Gould*
Engineer – David Richards, Rafe McKenna, Tim Hunt
Illustration [Cover Illustration] – Stan Kerr
Mastered By – Denis Blackham
Photography By [Inner Sleeve] – Stephen Morley
Producer – Robin Scott
Saxophone, Flute – Gary Barnacle
Synthesizer, Keyboards – Wally Badarou
Vocals, Guitar, Synthesizer, Keyboards – Robin Scott
Vocals, Harmony Vocals – Brigit Vinchon*
Written-By – Robin Scott

All versions:

Sire DSRE 8887:

Sire PRO-A-824:

The album from which "Pop Muzik" was featured had a worldwide release. M was signed to Sire (a Warner label) in the US, but was signed to MCA in most of the rest of the world. This was a popular single (reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100) that bridged the era between dance club music and New Wave. The B-side of the single is the non-album track "M Factor." A friend of mine once commented that "M Factor" sounded like an early Talking Heads record. M released albums in 1979, 1980 and 1982, and the project disbanded around 1984. Session musicians who contributed to M's project in those years included Thomas Dolby (synthesizers), Tony Levin (bass), David Bowie (handclaps), Andy Gill (guitar, from the group Gang of Four), and a handful of members from the jazz/funk band Level 42 (Mark King, Philip Gould, Wally Badarou).

1697600920999.png

"M" (and other cutesy names like "The The"), probably thought they were clever, but searching for them on the Internet is problematic,

Also the group The A's who has a minor song "A Woman's Got The Power" in 1981 on Arista. Also the punk rock group "X" (which was produced by the late Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek) who did "Johnny Hit And Run Polene" in late 1980.

I usually just search for "Robin Scott" when I need something, but yeah, trying to find it based on a single letter doesn't help.

Back
Top Bottom