• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Made in America-From the Fan Club Newsletters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I've been really getting into this LP more than I have ever in the past, for some reason these tracks on this Lp are meaning alot to me.

I found this interesting Q/A direct from the newsletters by Richard:

NEWSLETTER #75 - June, 1982

Q. Which Carpenter album was the most expensive to produce? A. "Made In America", followed by "Christmas Portrait".

Me-We know that CP was very very expensive for them to make but I had no idea that MIA was more costly. But what I read in the month before suprised me alot.

NEWSLETTER #74 - April, 1982

Q. To what does Richard accredit the disappointing chart listings for the Carpenters best ever album "Made In America"? A. There were no "Top 5" singles, and less than satisfactory promotion.

Me-Why was this not promoted more? I don't understand it. Who is to blame for less than satisfactory promotion?

In 1981 the "newsletter" informed me of MIA's imminent release. At the time I was living in a very small town quite near the gates of Yosemite National Park, Ca. Here in a town (population, not many) there was something of a 10 by 10 ft. record store. Very small. Anyway, I think it was June 16th or there abouts, I entered to find my brand spanking new copy. In this shop with its one record rack, existed a promo poster for the album. Employing my handy technique of persuasion...I soon left the little shop with my larger than life MIA cover poster in hand. Talk about your good days. Still have it...pristine. Are you surprised?

Jeff

I'm not suprised at all, :D I probably would have asked for the same thing upon leaving there. That MIA is a cool poster, Ive seen very few on ebay over the years.

I believe Richard has said that up until 1978 CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT was the most expensive production. I'm wondering why MIA has taken the cake? All I can figure is inflation. There's not alot of technical wizardry to this album.While they cut some great songs for inclusion, none of them are extraodinarily recorded. Save, Want You Back In My Life Again... As I understand it, this song features the most over-dubs. The most vocal layers. Ending vocals are fun but don't seem to match those of K's If I Had You. As I envision the future recordings of K& R they could've been the first to create the vocal stylings of Enya or maybe Basia.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom