• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Made in America Photo Shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someday

Does anyone know how many photo sessions took place for Made in America? I'm thinking most of these were conducted in early 1981.

RC: yellow shirt, KC: white 'eagle' top
RC: white 'Members Only' jacket, KC yellow top

RC: black top, KC: green jumper

One of my favourite later pictures is on the inlay to the Only Yesterday CD/LP, which I'm guessing is also 1980/81.

Then there are the others -

RC: red top, KC: red 'bobble' cardigan
& both in alternate maroon/white outfits sitting on blocks. 1979/80?

I have these pics too...

This infamous jacket that Karen wore numerous times during 1980/1981:

6981aus.jpg

...which turned up at the European TV show performance of 'Touch Me When We're Dancing':

k81mc1.jpg

kcm.jpg

811.jpg

kc812.jpg

and was also seen here in 1980...

121798c.jpg

And these alternates from the 'red top/yellow t-shirt' session (same session as the inside sleeve picture on the 'Only Yesterday' compilation):

RolandChayer-Carpenters-KC81-01.jpg

Roland-Carpenters2006Calendar-Mar.jpg

kcrc.jpg

kcrcgoof.jpg

This alternate from the 'black top/green top' session is not often seen:

postie.jpg

How about this session (CD image flipped as the original picture was reversed the wrong way):

3a16_1.jpg

Karendies.jpg

And this one (although I think this one is more of an informal 'in the studio' picture)

1981---3.jpg

Just an aside. Karen looks really drawn in that last pic. Kind of hard to look at, actually. Still, nice to see these photos as I hadn't seen them before.

Ed

Here are some photos taken during the promotion of the album Made in America. I want to say this is Brazil because of Richard's shirt but I could be wrong. It would have been cool to attend such an event, one can see the MIA poster in the background.
The photos can be located & purchased here
http://www.photoshot.com/

CJN_135427_wtm.JPG

CBB_135431_wtm.JPG

CBB_135430.jpg

Stephen, don't forget about this alternate take from your photo above. :)

MIAPromo.jpg

Here are some photos taken during the promotion of the album Made in America. I want to say this is Brazil because of Richard's shirt but I could be wrong. It would have been cool to attend such an event, one can see the MIA poster in the background.

Chris, those pictures were actually taken on Saturday 24th October 1981, when they did a personal appearance at Harrod's store in London to promote the album. She appeared on Swap Shop the same morning with Noel Edmonds, wearing the same outfit (lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6be8Mt0k2k

This is the same UK visit described in the Coleman book where Babs and Peter Knight recalled meeting them for dinner on Sunday 25th October.

:)

Chris, those pictures were actually taken on Saturday 24th October 1981, when they did a personal appearance at Harrod's store in London to promote the album. She appeared on Swap Shop the same morning with Noel Edmonds, wearing the same outfit (lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6be8Mt0k2k

This is the same UK visit described in the Coleman book where Babs and Peter Knight recalled meeting them for dinner on Sunday 25th October.

:)

That's totally correct. I was there at Harrods also taking some photos. I got to meet them both, although Richard wasn't feeling great - he had some sort of stomach bug and kept on having to be excused! Karen said "Oh he'll be fine. He makes such a fuss!"

That's totally correct. I was there at Harrods also taking some photos. I got to meet them both, although Richard wasn't feeling great - he had some sort of stomach bug and kept on having to be excused! Karen said "Oh he'll be fine. He makes such a fuss!"

Nice memory!!

He wasn't right when they did Swap Shop as well earlier in the day, Noel explained he'd gone off to have a warm drink and Karen was left to do the interview alone.

SOMEDAY-I agree with you about the inside cover of the British "Only Yesterday" comp-Karen looks pretty good in that pic.And,I'm pretty sure that pic(along with the two alternate pics above) was taken in early 1979 during a photo session for the "Carpenters-First Ten Years" fan book that was put out later that year.It's pretty obvious that Karen looks much healthier in those pics,than in the later 1981 "Made In America" pics.

I wish we could see the full Swap Shop interview. It's neat to see/hear these older interviews of either the pair of them or just Karen alone. Does anybody at all have a full copy they could put on youtube?

Another interview I would love to see in full is from 1981 when the journalist Sue Lawley (BBC Nationwide) quizzed Karen about her weight loss. I've seen a really short snippet of this interview on You Tube, Karen evading the question by not understanding UK weight measurements and raising her eyebrows to the heavens! When Sue Lawley does the math, Karen finally gives an answer.

Can you share the photos you took that day ?

Thanks Tony! It's always nice to see "new" pictures, and we appreciate your sharing them with us.

Harry

Wow Tony, all of these are new to me except the last one. These are amazing "action" photos, thank you so much for sharing them. I would bet these are new to alot of fans who watch this forum. Karen never lost her trademark smile so lovely even though she was not well. Great to see new photos, finally!!

Yes, thank you so much!!! I noticed a few things: We can finally see that Karen was wearing cowboy BOOTS!; She's wearing her wedding ring set; Karen has water, Richard has wine(?); there are a man/woman with A&M jackets on behind K/R; they appeared for 1 hr only (1230-130p).
I was about 14 when the "Made in America" album came out, and I remember seeing the illustrated album cover with Karen & the long flowing hair, perky Osmond smiles---and then seeing her on TV & saying "that doesn't look like her at all". The juxtaposition of the album portrait with the way she looked in person in these pics is very drastic.

Can you tell us how the atmosphere that day was? Was it a big crowd/mediocre crowd? Did you think most people at Harrod's recognized who they were?

Yes, thank you so much!!! I noticed a few things: We can finally see that Karen was wearing cowboy BOOTS!; She's wearing her wedding ring set; Karen has water, Richard has wine(?); there are a man/woman with A&M jackets on behind K/R; they appeared for 1 hr only (1230-130p).
I was about 14 when the "Made in America" album came out, and I remember seeing the illustrated album cover with Karen & the long flowing hair, perky Osmond smiles---and then seeing her on TV & saying "that doesn't look like her at all". The juxtaposition of the album portrait with the way she looked in person in these pics is very drastic.

Can you tell us how the atmosphere that day was? Was it a big crowd/mediocre crowd? Did you think most people at Harrod's recognized who they were?

The Evening Standard (a London evening newspaper) advertised that they would be signing albums at Harrods and it whipped up quite a lot of interest. The TV listings also showed that they were due to be on TV the same morning. I lived in London at the time and stayed at home to watch their live appearance on BBC's Multicoloured Swap Shop (a very popular Saturday morning kids TV show). Incidentally, as I think someone mentioned before, Richard didn't actually appear on the programme. The Presenter (Noel Edmonds) said Richard had been 'complaining about the smell of something used to clean the desk in the studio' and that he'd was feeling unwell. Karen gave a very lively interview in Richard's absence and demonstrated a Space Invaders game which she'd bought in as a 'Swap' (all part of the show). She was really funny, saying "We were all playing with this on the plane. This is how it works - these little aliens come down from the top and you're down here with a gun and ..you..er..kill them" And she pulled a face as she said it.

As soon as the interview was over, I rushed across to Harrods and managed to beat them there! There was a general feeling of anticipation, waiting for them to arrive and quite a large crowd of people (possibly a couple of hundred) were lined up, waiting to get autographs. They arrived to a round of applause and cheers from all the excited people. I stood there taking photos and could hear what they said to some of the people. One couple had brought their little boy with them and announced to Karen that they had fallen in love to Carpenters songs. Karen said to the boy "So we're responsible for you?". She was really good with the children, especially when she said things to make them laugh. Several people gave Karen and Richard audio cassettes of songs they had recorded (I suppose some people just can't resist and opportunity!). But most of then just had various albums and photos signed. I had already got them to sign some photos for me outside Capital radio a few days earlier, so I just concentrated on taking photos. About halfway through the signing session, Richard had to rush out, clutching his mouth. He was really not at all well and reappeared, looking very flushed and perspiring heavily. He tried to give a few more autographs, but he was really not in any condition to continue, so he disappeared through a door at the back of the music department. Karen stuck at work for the full hour and then posed with various Harrods Managers for photos, before moving through the crowd towards the door. At one point, we ended face to face and she stared right at me and said "Oh, hello again!" She remembered me from Capital radio. Then she disappeared into the staff only part of the store.

As I was leaving Harrods, I noticed the same limo and driver who had been at Capital radio a few days earlier. He was waiting by one of the side entrances to the building, so I guessed that was where they'd be emerging and waited alongside their car. Sure enough moments later, Richard exited the store clutching a small towel to his mouth and being helped to the car. He made as if to stop and sign an autograph for me and I said "Oh, it's OK. I know you're not well" and waved him on. It was sooooo NOT the thing to say, as he immediately gave me this look, as if he was saying 'Yeah, well why would you want MY autograph anyway, when Karen's right behind me". Oops! Karen came out and stopped for a chat! She had Jerry Weintraub with her. I said "I hope Richard's OK" and she said something like "Oh, he'll be fine. He makes such a fuss!" and just giggled. I said "I haven't got anything for you to sign!" and she said "How about another photo then?" and tried (unsuccesfully) to pull Jerry into shot, which is the outdoors photo above.

Well, that's all I can remember! Hope it gives you some impression of what it was like on the day.

Tony

Well, that's all I can remember! Hope it gives you some impression of what it was like on the day.

Wow!! I didn't expect the request for some photos to come back with as much great stuff as that! Thanks so much for posting...all unseen to me except the last one as Chris also said.

Great memories of the day to treasure as well...loved your anecdotes about the day... :)

Tony,

Seriously, I haven't seen that many new photos and anecdotes about the duo for a decade. Thanks so much for posting that stuff. I live in London myself, so adds an extra "something", even if I was only 3 when this signing took place.

Neil

Tony, that was a great read, thanks for taking us back to that moment.

This must be the video of when Karen appeared on the multi coloured swap shop, looks like she is wearing the same jacket.

Sorry, I don't know why I can't edit my own posts, it's frustrating.
I was going to remove the youtube clip I posted above as it was already posted on page 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom