• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Make Believe it's Your First Time-45?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I have this 45 w/flip side being, Look to your Dreams

But I was wondering if there was a 45 made of Make Believe it's Your First Time, version from Karen's solo album?

I just love this version, Karen's pronunciation in her words is sooo much stronger to me & it's one of the many things I like about this version. The piano is another high point.

But were they making 45's when this came out (Solo CD time period)

If it had been released as a single off of the solo album, it wouldn't have been as a 45, but rather a CD single. Remember that the solo album wasn't released until 1996, and 45s had long been a thing of the past.

Murray

BTW,the manufacture of vinyl 45 RPM records has never really stopped. The market for "oldie" 45s has continued without a missed heartbeat and,while record companies have dramatically decreased the availabilty of current songs in this format,particular selections have been made,primarily for the country and rap/r&b markets. An interesting occurance has happened over the years is that a song may have not been available as a retail single in any format(vinyl,tape,or CD) during its chart run but was made afterwards in vinyl format or sometimes as a bonus track or B side on a cassingle or CD single. Fellow Cornerite Tim Neely writes a column in alternate issues of Goldmine magazine(as well as editing the many record price guides for parent Krause Publications),explaining this phenomenon and the interesting quirks of current vinyl availability. Mac

So what would have to happen in order for a single 45 to get pressed now after it's already been released?

Would A & M or Richard Carpenter or Phil Ramone have to have approved for it to be released as a 45?

Or is it up to who-ever manufactures them?

If only Karen's Solo Cd was released as a LP then I've have this track in a LP format. I wonder if any Lp's were pressed from her official Solo CD? I think I remember hearing someone say that Lovelines was the last album in LP format.

It's a shame a petition to Phil Ramone could not have been done back then but I guess the market is not really there, I'm just one of the rare fans that prefer listening to there music in Lp format. Guess were just a dying breed.

While we're on the topic of Karen's solo album....For the record,The decision to release Karen's solo album was made by A&M.Richard and Phil Ramone had nothing to do with it.A&M didn't want to release it too soon after Karen's death.But,by 1996,according to an A&M executive,A&M felt enough time had passed,and it was time to finally put it out.I remember when PEOPLE magazine first exposed the details about
Karen's solo album in March,1983.Probably nobody(except a few fan club members) knew it existed before that.One thing I know for sure,If the release decision was up to Richard,He would have remixed the whole album.(Has anyone ever noticed how much better the remixes of "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" and "Still Crazy After All These Years" sound on "From The Top"?They make the original mixes sound like demos!)

Karen's version of this song is available as a Japanese 2 track 3" CDS. The catalog # is PODM 1067...it's not the vinyl but still worth to have in one's collection!

Mr J,

According to the Ray Coleman book, Richard had a very negative say in the whole solo project. In fact it was even witnessed in front of Olivia Newton-John (Karen's best friend). It was evident that after the project was over that Richard did not like it nor wanted it to be released.

Don't you think A & M consulted with Richard to see how he felt about this? My guess is yes!! It might have been A & M decision but it was probably greatly influenced by the hand of Richard. Why did Richard even give his permission for Karen to go do this project anyway, that always has puzzled me. Yes I understand he didn't want her to sit idle while he was taking care of his issues but in the end, it still puzzles me. :confused:

And then what puzzles me even more was after she passed away, he went & released his solo album. Ok, I'm still not understanding.

But I am very grateful that Richard finally gave us this & to Phil Ramone for releasing it to us in the original format, untouched by remixes & the such.

Of course just my opinion.... :)

i always found it odd that richard, having labeled some of karens solo songs as 'too disco' , after her death, went and recorded some of the most disco tunes i've ever heard....i like his 'time' album, but you cannot say that 'say yeah' isn't disco??!!! more disco than karen's work , i think.

grainne
trying to shake off a bad cold :sad:

Chris-A&M may have consulted with Richard about releasing the solo album,But it was primarily A&M's decision,nonetheless.As you stated,Richard wasn't fond of the solo album,and the only reason he included 4 solo tracks on LOVELINES was because there weren't any more passable Carpenters outtakes to fill out the album.Also,Richard didn't give Karen permission to record the solo album-she didn't need it!

permission? Maybe that was the wrong phrasing.

But didn't Karen ask for his blessing? Wasn't that sorta expressed in the movie, The Karen Carpenter Story. I remember the scene in the lobby when she was going to discuss it with Richard. (Wasn't this the movie that Richard had a hand in? Played by Cynthia Gibb.

I always thought giving your ok or blessing meant the same as permission. Yes go ahead & do it. Also didn't Richard even set Karen up with Phil or coordinate the efforts to get her with a producer during Richard's down time? If not how, did Karen find Phil Ramone? I know she was friends with his wife, Itszy (sp?)

Hi Everyone,
A&M had gone to Karen and brought up the idea with Karen to do a solo album while Richard was getting treatment. She didn't want to remain idle, so they suggested Phil Ramone, a highly successful producer who had worked with Paul Simon, Barbra Streisand and many others. She was going to New York to do this album but she needed Richard's blessing. To know that he was okay with it. I always think that had he not given his blessing...she still would have done it...I mean it was the eve of her departure...but it would have caused her a lot more tension and grief...Of course I laugh when he told her not to do disco...It doesn't say in the Ray Coleman book that she said yes or no to that statment. I am glad she recorded the selections that she chose to do...23 songs that were recorded...and possibly more that even we are not aware of...( I know Church Choir and Basket Case are not available and were never leaked out)...and she had fun. I wish they were tons more pics available of her solo album. She looked so vibrant and so good! I love the way she looked!
I remember when it was finally released in 1996...and I got myself a copy and I loved it! To actually be able to hear more of our Karen singing a song(albeit a different type of song) was unforgettable. I am glad that RC and A&M released it...I think Karen sounded great and her vocal overdubs on the album even surpassed the overdubs that Richard had produced for them...Hers were more complex and definately much more challenging...Listen to the unreleased track DON'T TRY TO WIN ME BACK AGAIN is amazing!! Pure genius!!

My thoughts,
Cameron

Where can I find the unreleased songs that were recorded for her solo album?

I wonder if Richard will ever release it officially :o

Hi,
I think most everyone got them on Kazaa and Napster.

Something's Missing
Love Making Love To You
Don't Try To Win Me Back Again
Midnight
Keep My Lovelight Burning
I Do It For Your Love
Jimmy Mac
Truly You
It's Really You

Cam
[email protected]

Status