• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Memories of Baja live in '67

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob knack

Egad, I just realized I have the entire Chet Baker & the Mariachi Brass LP collection. However, that’s not the subject.

I wanted to reminisce about a live Baja concert I saw…I think it was the summer of ’67…at the Chicago Opera House. Julius and the boys were an opening act for warbler Jack Jones. Arriving early, I recall seeing Julius & various band members coming in through the stage entrance near Washington Street @ Wacker Drive…but I was too nervous to talk to them. (I was very shy in my younger days, plus they looked a little shady!)

At show time, they made their trademark entrance with a lazy walk-on from various points, stage right and left. The recording of “Comin in the Back Door” played up to the raucous Dixie break, and then, with the band in place, they finished the song live. This was how they opened many of their TV appearances. Next was the up-tempo version of “Brasilia”.

Julius then sauntered from behind his Marimba to the front of the stage and said, “I bet you thought we were going to be rotten! We’re a little new in the concert business, in fact, we do our first show tomorrow night.”

It was so long ago; I don’t remember the whole show or sequence of tunes. They did “Yours”, “Georgy Girl” (which was their newest single at this time), “Spanish Eyes”, and “Acapulco 1922”. Curry Tjader was featured as a “master” of the Castanets for a wonderful Spike Jones like comedy bit on “Ghostriders” complete with bad timing, missed cues, falling asleep on and knocking stuff off the music stands during the quiet passages.

A real showstopper was Frank Devitos’ vocal on “Winchester Cathedral”. As he started to sing, through a megaphone, the only illumination in the theatre was from a strobe light that gave the illusion of watching a frantic scene from an old-time movie. Tjader took over on drums while Frank was front and center.

The band finished with “Gay Ranchero”, the audience happily clapping along at the urging of Dave Wells. This travelling band also had Lee Katzman, Bernie Fleischer, Frank Decaro, and Mel Pollan. If memory serves, this was shortly after Bud Coleman passed away and we were seeing Charlie Chiarenza for the first time. What has become of Charlie?

Most of the attendees came to hear Jones, but raved about Baja at intermission. I hope that the guys sold many records as a result of that concert. Sadly, I would not hear the band again until their 1980’s comeback. More on that another time if anyone’s interested.

Thanks for those remeniscences. You seem to have a pretty good recollection of things, considering how many years ago that was. I never got a chance to see the BMB in concert, but saw the Brass at least three times -- and my memories of those have faded considerably.

Harry
...What were we talking about?, online...

I saw the Baja Marimba Band on May 18, 1969, at the Civic Theater in Akron, Ohio. I remember the exact date due to some personal, romantic circumstances that were going on at the moment. :D I just don't remember much about what they played because I was more interested in the girl that went with me(now my wife) :tongue: I do recall that they seemed to be very proficient players and had a very good concert sound.
I also saw the original TJB three times - twice in 1968 and once in 1969.
I also saw the reformed TJB twice - I think it was 1974 the first time - maybe early 1975 the second time? - were they still together by then?
I always preferred the original group for various reasons. Guess I liked the sound and songs better. The original group seemd to me to have a "tighter" sound - maybe it was the playing styles of those players or maybe the nature of the arrangements and songs.

Does anyone definitively know if Herb Alpert played trumpet on the first 2 or 3 Baja Marimba albums. There are some songs such as "Guacamole", "Cast Your Fate", "Hecho En Mexico" for example, where the trumpet licks, although a bit higher than is typical for TJB music, sounds like Herb's tone and inflections. And he obviously did some singing on "Going Out the Side Door". Perhaps Herb could stretch his playing out a bit "incognito" behind Julius's marimbas without being expected to do it live night after night, also eliminating the need for a then shoestring company to hire an outside trumpeter. If memory serves, like Tonni in the TJB, Lee Katzman didn't join the group till the 4th or 5th album. Also, the drummer on "Rides Again" sounds like the same drummer that plays on "South Of The Border". Would appreciate the facts if anyone knows.

David,
who loves the song "Guacamole" more than the food......

Julius Wechter himself answered the question here a few years ago, when he said that the only one of the BMB recordings that Herb Alpert played trumpet on was "Las Mananitas." You can read his answers for yourself at:

http://www.juliuswechter.com/gallery/julius.php

Like you say, it would be logical to assume that in the shoestring-budget A&M's early days, that Herb would've played himself rather than pay someone, but we can only go on the information that we've gotten straight from the source.

Harry
...remembering the thrill of seeing a post from Julius Wechter on the board, online...

I have a question: On the Julius Wechter main page of this website, who are the men with Herb Alpert and Bob Findley as the BMB? :?:

alpertfan said:
I have a question: On the Julius Wechter main page of this website, who are the men with Herb Alpert and Bob Findley as the BMB? :?:

According to my program, the members of the Baja Marimba Band were as follows:

BERNIE FLEISCHER-flute/clarinet

FRANK DeVITO-drums

DAVE WELLS-trombone

CHARLIE CHIARENZA-guitar/mandolin

in addition to these 4 original members of the BMB, the following members of the regrouped band from the '80's also were present:

CARMEN FANZONE- trumpet

JULES GREENBERG-marimba

HARVEY NEWMARK-bass

in addition, JOHN PISANO payed guitar and BOB LEATHERBARROW played second marimba.There was also a house band that consisted of MICHAEL ASHER-piano/conductor, JIM FOX-guitar, KIRK SMITH-bass, RICHARD WELLER-drums, and DOUG WALTER- synth/woodwinds.

Quite a lineup...ain't it?

Dan, wishing he could have been there... :cry:

For selected tunes drummers included Dave Alpert and Hal Blaine as well....

--Mr Bill

The "Heads Up" LP was the first that had the travelling band's names and photos on the back cover. This included Bud Coleman, who I don't think made it to the next record, which was Fowl Play? This had my second favorite cover besides "Whipped Cream", with the boys raiding that hen house. Upon buying "Heads Up", this gave us the hope that they might be playing Chicago soon, and as it happened, they came to the Opera House.

The previous LP, Watch Out, had many of the same faces on the front cover, but some different ones too. I always wondered who they all were. Style-wise, it sure sounded like Katzman on "Watch Out". Did you know he played with Stan Kenton?

And hey Captain Dave, I'm glad you found a woman to marry who has some taste in music. In 1969, all the girls I could find were only interested in The Doors, The Stones, Steppenwolf, etc. I took the girl I married to hear the re-formed BMB at the Blue Max Club near O'Hare airport in the 80's. I'm sure it's a coincidence, but she dumped me soon after. I'm still looking.

And Harry, I do have a pretty good recollection of 1967, just don't ask me about today!

Hey, I'm glad someone is interested in hearing about it. Thanks

It was a coincidence...wasn't it??? :?: :cry:

big noise from chicago said:
The previous LP, Watch Out, had many of the same faces on the front cover, but some different ones too. I always wondered who they all were. Style-wise, it sure sounded like Katzman on "Watch Out". Did you know he played with Stan Kenton?

So did TJB bassist Pat Senatore--he really rips it up on the Adventures In Jazz album. Dave Wells played in one of Don Ellis's big bands. I think he's on the Live In Monterey album (although he's not a featured soloist, as far as I can tell). The late Curry Tjader, of course, had a brother with quite a reputation on the vibraphone, as the legend goes. :wink:

-= N =-

Dave also played bass trumpet in a group called "The Page Seven" led by pianist Page Cavanaugh. I have two LP's on RCA which aren't bad. Their two 'bone sound was almost a forerunner to the Trombones Unlimited. Dave recorded in that group, also.

I saw a mini-documentary on Page Cavanaugh not too long ago...it covered his work with the Page Cavanaugh Trio which was also known as The Three Sargeants[how do you spell that word?], due to the fact that they were all in the Army wuring the war. Quite a group.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom