Merry Christmas Darling on 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Can someone help clarify what all these #'s mean on the labels? I have 6 different labels and want to know which was made first. I'm confused!!!

Here is what I have: Merry Christmas Darling = MCD

MCD ~ White Label Promo (Haeco CSG) Label # 1236-S
MCD ~ Ochre Color Label (Haeco CSG) Label # 1236-S
MCD ~ White background with Tan A&M (not indicated but it is Haeco CSG) Label #1648-S
MCD ~ Memories Label #8620-S (No Haeco CSG)
MCD ~ Forget me Nots #8620-S (No Haeco CSG)
MCD ~ White Label Promo (No Haeco CSG) #8620-S

Ok so who can decipher these? I'd like to know which would have been released first and which are re-issues. I'm assuming the 1236 is first issue and the 8620 are reissues? Then there is the 1648.

Any help with clarifying what I have would be appreciated.

Also has anyone heard of a 45 of MCD in mono form?

I'd love to get a minty single of MCD b/w "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" for a Christmas compilation I'm working on. I don't know of any that aren't beaten to a pulp, though... :sad:

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Ok so who can decipher these? I'd like to know which would have been released first and which are re-issues. I'm assuming the 1236 is first issue and the 8620 are reissues? Then there is the 1648.

The ochre 1236 and the white 1236 "Merry Christmas, Darling" are from the same time and are the originals. The ochres were sold to the public while the white promos were shipped to radio stations. Both of those are backed with "Mr. Guder". You'll notice that the stock version (ochre label) is pressed on that plasticky stuff while the white label promos are better grade vinyl.

I don't have a 1648, but would assume that it's a mid-'70s reissue. Back then, A&M would release this record every year at Christmas time, so the fact that its got more than one catalog number is understandable.

But I do have a later issue silver & tan label version, #1991-S. It's backed with "Christmas Song", which might have actually been the desired A-side, since it's listed first on the sleeve. This one's from around the time of the TV special, as it promos the show on the bottom of the sleeve:
Don't Miss The Carpenters' Christmas TV Special
Friday December 9th, 9-10 P.M., ABC

I also have the identical sleeve without the TV promo on the bottom. This one is the Forget Me Nots issue 8620-S.

I believe the "Memories" label would be the most recent issue.

I've not encountered a mono version of the song, since all of the promos I have seem to have either "Mr. Guder" or "Christmas Song" on the flip side.

Harry
...looking over his "Mery Christmas, Darling" 45s, online...

I'm not sure what happened to mine, but the one I used to have had "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" on the flip side. This was out before they had their first Xmas album. This one was #1648.

One thing about promo singles I've noticed from many labels: the sleeve may say the B side has a different song, but the promo version often has the same song on both sides...often the same version, but for others, either a mono version, or an edited version. (More the case on promo 12" singles.)

Anyway, some checking:

1236 was for MCD/Mr. Guder (active series--first release)

1648 was for MCD/SCICTT (active series--first release)

1991 was for Xmas Song/MCD (active series--first release)

8620 was for Xmas Song/MCD (Forget-Me-Nots/Memories reissue)

Even my promos are backed with either Mr Guder or The Christmas Song. So suprised that I've never seen a Mono/Stereo of this most popular song.

What else I find unusual is Karen's re-record was never pressed on a 45 for this song. Not that I'm asking for it. I love the original. Even the re-ssues are the original versions. Strange don't you think?

If I recall correctly Karen's 1978 re-recording of MCD was issued on 1990 UK chart single coupled with Close to You ...previously the original 1970 version was always released .... :o

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom