• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Midnight Sun" Singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I picked up a little something different - a promo CD that has radio edits of two songs from Herb's Midnight Sun album. Featured are "Someone To Watch Over Me", which clocks in at 3:43 plus a very bad edit of "A Taste Of Honey", which is at 4:19. By bad edit I mean it starts a couple of beats before the rhythm section kicks in, then it just fades during the piano solo. It's just awkward sounding. I never heard these radio edits on the radio, but "Taste Of Honey" got quite a bit of airplay on our local jazz station back then. So did "Friends", probably because of Stan Getz' appearance.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Herb Alpert's 9th

"Midnight Sun" is one of Herb's best albums, his last on A&M. It is one of my favorite jazz albums too- Herb "got it" with that one, then "missed it" on the subsequent albums- especially "Colors". :confused:

Captain Bacardi said:
I picked up a little something different - a promo CD that has radio edits of two songs from Herb's Midnight Sun album. Featured are "Someone To Watch Over Me", which clocks in at 3:43 plus a very bad edit of "A Taste Of Honey", which is at 4:19. By bad edit I mean it starts a couple of beats before the rhythm section kicks in, then it just fades during the piano solo. It's just awkward sounding. I never heard these radio edits on the radio, but "Taste Of Honey" got quite a bit of airplay on our local jazz station back then. So did "Friends", probably because of Stan Getz' appearance.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Herb Alpert's 9th

The video to SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME got a lot of airplay on the MOR channel, and I heard it on a couple of jazz stations, but I never heard ATOH on the radio or on TV...was a video available for it?

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
The video to SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME got a lot of airplay on the MOR channel, and I heard it on a couple of jazz stations, but I never heard ATOH on the radio or on TV...was a video available for it?

No, there wasn't a video of "Taste Of Honey", although there was a bit of the song on the promo video of "Someone To Watch Over Me", which had interviews with Herb on it, along with clips of other tunes, plus the making of the "Someone..." video. "A Taste Of Honey" was also on a promo CD put out by Jazziz magazine during that year.

Capt. Bacardi

Speaking of videos, wasn't there a video of the song Beba form the Passion Dance album? And wasn't there a website where it could be seen?

Captaindave said:
Speaking of videos, wasn't there a video of the song Beba form the Passion Dance album? And wasn't there a website where it could be seen?

There was, but I can't find it anymore. The link I had to it doesn't work anymore, so I don't know if it's no longer in existence or what. The post of that message was from the old forum, so I can't get the original post about "Beba".

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Boston - Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom