my dream Carpenters compliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilo

Sorry if this has been posted before. New here. What does a fan of some thirty five years want in a dream compilation? No, not the hits (at least not in the way we usually get them every couple years). Well here goes. 1) A medley of Carpenters hits with Richard on lead piano replacing Karen's lead vocals, orchestra, and the backing vocals of Karen and Rich. A great way to open the set. 2) An unpluged medley of several hits using only Richard on piano and Karen on lead vocals with limited background vocals. 3) The completion of "Something's Missing" utilizing Richard's magical studio touch. The rest of the album should include updated remixes of the all time great album cuts like "Desperado", "One More Time", "Two Sides" and "I Can Dream Can't I'. Add a new remix of "Another Song", with additional instrumentation, and you have a killer new compilation for the die hard fan and a nice introduction of the group to new fans. Well, I can dream can't I?

Hi Nilo!

Your dream compilation sounds amazing. I'll second a wish for a disc like that, especially the unplugged mixes which is something many of us have been wishing for. Nothing sounds quite as amazing as Karen with just a solo piano.

To those cuts you named I'll add, "You", "Ordinary Fool", "Now", and the solo album version of "Make Believe It's Your First Time".

We Can Dream, Can't We? I hope these ideas become more than just dreams one day. They are truly wonderful ideas to showcase the greatest female vocalist of all time.

I thought I would jump into such an interesting post. I too dig the idea of the piano/vocal thing. However, the only way that it would be sonically "correct" is if Richard replaced all of the original piano tracks with new ones (most of which he has done anyway).

The reason for this is because the amount of studio "bleed-through" you would get as a result of the way the Carpenters tracked their rhythm sections would have the original piano track smothered with background noise (mainly drums), at least from time to time. There is also the reality that if Richard pulled the rest of the orchestration out of the mixes and stripped it down to a lead and piano, there will most likely be distracting bleed-through throughout the lead vocal track via Karen's headset (i.e. drums & strings) due to the E.Q. aspect. We know that Karen sang very close to the microphone when tracking and also preferred that the strings be cut prior to recording the master lead.

I don't know if Richard has ever considered this (probably not, knowing him), but he inevitably wouldn't do it because of the factors I just mentioned (like any of US really care :) ) -Chris

Hi Nilo.

I just thought I might update you that Desperado has been remixed. It can be found on the Euro release of Interpretations and Anthology.

Thought I'd add, it's a lovely idea. Don't know if I picked this up right but the 1st wish in the list has already been done to some extent on his PACC album hasn't it?

If you mean a medley with Richard on lead vocals with K&R backing vocals, that could never really happen, since all the songs featuring Karen's back up would have to be the original tracks retained in Karen's key!!!

Fair do's, Richard could sing them all an octave lower, but that's not his natural range as he is a tenor, and singing copy key with Karen would probably send him into a lower register than is his best!

Have a listen to him explaining the birth of Goodbye To Love on Remembering The Carpenters and you will see what I mean :)

Dream compilation -well probably something different from the usual Universal hits sets :rolleyes:

Ideally Richard will compile an updated companion to 1987 Treasures-album favourites 2 CD set with more remixes / alternate versions and different track listing / sequencing ..... :)

Best of all would be an American Standards or Standards album with all Carpenters studio / TV & Live classic standards included plus several unissued or rare versions to boost Carpenters collectors fanbase plus new liner notes , rarely used photos and new artwork to create long overdue release :cool:

Previously unissued studio / rarities etc should be used for a follow -up to As Time Goes By ....or another Box set of unusual tracks not suited for regular album release ..... :o

Peter

Since we are discussing Compilaton CD, I would assume these are songs already released. Therefore, may I submit a two-CD compilation of ALL the singles (varying slightly per country in which it is released). For example, the American CD compilation would have:
1. Ticket to Ride
2. Close to You
3. We've Just Begun
4. For All We Know
5. Rainy Days
6. Superstar
7. Hurting Each Other
8. It's Going to Take Some Time
9. Goodbye to Love
10. Sing
11. Yesterday Once More
12. Top of World
13. Won't Last a Day
14. Please Mr. Postman
15. Only Yesterday
16. Solitaire
17. A Kind of Hush
18. I Need to be In Love
19. Goofus
20. All You Get From Love
21. Calling Occupants (edited Single Version)
22. Sweet Sweet Smile
23. I Believe You
24. Touch Me
25. Want You Back
26. Beechwood
27. Those Good Ol' Dreams
28. Make Believe
29. Your Baby
30. If I Had You
31. You're The One

And a companion CD with the Christmas and Solo singles as a bonus.

Of course, all would be original single mixes.

Sorry if I forgot to list one or two, but you get the idea.

Of course, Rich would be blowing the total wad on one compilation instead of getting people to buy more than one CD to get all the songs they want. But it would be nice....

Shannon

One song that I routinely pine for is the COMIN' THRU THE RYE/GOOD VIBRATIONS duet. This featured Karen and John Denver. Thankfully on W/O A SONG Richard deleted the J. Davidson vocal. Seems that John Denver could disappear as well. I'm wondering if K&J were recorded on the same track? Maybe it's a licensing thing. As far as I know Olivia's duet with Denver FLY AWAY, hasn't appeared beyong his catalog. Karen's vocal and overdubbing on GOOD VIBES came complete with lower register and the effervescent chill factor.

Is there or isn't there a studio version of THANKYOU FOR THE MUSIC? Why the mystery pertaining to C's vaults at A&M? Trust me, I'm not sparking a Buried Treasure fury. BUT, Richard's comment that the cupboards are empty is in question here.

Just pokin' around,

Jeff

Great question! I'd love to know if a studio version of "Thank You For The Music" exists. We've heard rumour of it for years, and on the "Tonight Show" where they sang it live, it was introduced as their 'new single'. Someone has to know.... anyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom