• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Neil Young remastered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

Neil Young's fine albums "On the Beach", "American Stars and Bars", "Re-act-or" and "Hawks and Doves" will be out soon on remastered CDs!!! :D
They are also priced very low. Someone is starting to listen.

Well,at 11.98 list,they are priced about what is expected,with seemingly no additional material nor notes. However,since Neil is about the last living artist to update his catalog(outside of a cetain trumpet player occasionally discussed here),this must mean the end of the CD era. I would have expected Rhino's participation,not only because of this being Warner product but because they did such a nice job on the Buffalo Springfield box and Neil contributed to that project. No one can figure out what will be next in his life,and I guess that is part of the fun. Talk about truly being so much older then and younger that that now... Mac

He is known for being very anti-digital/anti-CD, so it's no surprise. However, seeing how most CDs are mastered so poorly with gobs of compression and EQ, it's ironic he would wait until now to do it. He does have releases on DVD-A and SACD, I think...but I'll be the first to admit I lunge for the radio dial when I hear any of his songs...

DETAILS:
Forever 'Young'

Four vintage Neil Young studio albums that have never been issued on CD will finally be unveiled in that format this week via Reprise. "On the Beach," "American Stars 'N Bars," "Hawks & Doves" and "Re.ac.tor" have been out of print in any form for years and heavily bootlegged. The new editions have been digitally remastered but do not include any bonus tracks.

Of perhaps most interest to fans is the arrival of 1974's "On the Beach," which finds Young aided in the studio by his on-again/off-again collaborators David Crosby and Graham Nash as well as the Band's Levon Helm and Rick Danko. The album revels in a mellow, stoned vibe that underscores Young's attempts to cope with various personal issues, including the then-recent drug-related deaths of bandmate Danny Whitten and roadie Bruce Berry.

"American Stars 'N Bars," released in 1977 but recorded sporadically in the three years prior, is split between country-tinged numbers such as "Saddle Up the Palomino" and intense rockers such as "Like a Hurricane." Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, and the late Nicolette Larson contribute backing vocals.

"Hawks & Doves" was the 1980 follow-up to "Rust Never Sleeps," but moved away from that set's brash guitar rock in favor of nine country and acoustic numbers such as "The Old Homestead" and "Comin' Apart at Every Nail." The set only reached No. 30 on The Billboard 200, Young's lowest showing since his 1969 debut "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" peaked at No. 34.

"Re.ac.tor," issued in 1981, was Young's final album before leaving Reprise to sign with Geffen. Backed by Crazy Horse, the artist powered through eight loud, fierce tracks such as "Shots" and "Motor City." The album preceded Young's most idiosyncratic period of musical experimentation, which began two years later with the vocoder-dominated "Trans." :D

I never thought I'd have such a visceral reaction while visiting my beloved A&M Corner. Neil Young!?!?! Pass the Pepto! Gag! Ack! Heave, Ptooey... The only recording of his I can even slightly tolerate is Trans which is widely regarded by his most hardcore fans as his worst album. Which says a lot about the diversity of musical tastes out there. And that's about all I'll say since the lat time I brought up the lengthy discussion of a non-A&M act here I got spanked... I just hope crap like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin or The Eagles never comes up here...

--Mr Bill
whose cat does a swell Joplin imitation when I step on her tail...

While not owning any of Neil's work,his career parallels my interest in music and I can say that I've never heard a guy walk into so many different areas of rock and find somehing new to say. I can see why he has such a devoted fan base. Always an adventure,a high success rate,a guy who is both wise and foolish at once. The "forever young" description is not only an intended pun,but an accurate description of Neil. True heroes of the rock era-Hendrix & Joplin?-yes,yes,yes. Eagles? Mojo Nixon was right-Don Henley must die! Mac

Steven J. Gross said:
Worse than Kenny G., Bill? :)

Given the choice of falling asleep to Kenny G or going nucking futs hearing the "fingernails-on-chalkboard" screaches of Ms Joplin or the piercing untuned shrill of Mr Hendrix' guitar, yes... I'll take the Kenster any day over those two.

--Mr Bill
who shopped at the duty free shop right behind Neil Young in Heathrow last December on his way to Bahrain...

who shopped at the duty free shop right behind Neil Young in Heathrow last December on his way to Bahrain...--Mr Bill

That's pretty neat! :usflag:

This is not to antagonize Bill any further,but a reason why Neil may be loosening up on his catalog availability might be because of his current tour with Crazy Horse. Go to www.mcall.com/entertainment/all-cover_neilyoungjun26,0,3939527.story?coll=all-ent-hed and you'll see that Neil is not only bringing out quite possibly his least-accessible album yet;this from a guy who released,"Arc" a live "white noise" album along with a regular live album,"Weld", in the '90s. Of interest to me is his biting Clear Channel's moneygrubbing hand. The article was written by someone from the Chicago Tribune,owner of our local fish wrap,The Morning Call. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom