• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Alpert stuff...No foolin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT'S A GOOD THING was written by Sharon Sheeley[I think...] back in the late '50's; and Herb Alpert produced a recording of it. Some think he actually SANG on it, but I'm not sure he really did...I have a copy, and I don't think it sounds like it could possibly be his voice, even with the recording tricks that were available at the time...it sounds almost like Burl Ives, but it probably ain't him, either...

Most likely, this is another version of that same song; and Herb and Glen Campbell are sharing the vocals. If so, buy it! This is a rare one, indeed...Herb did some demo work in the late '50's...maybe this is from that body of work. Somebody help me out here...there was an album of demo songs that Sharon Sheeley wrote that was released a couple of years ago, and Herb was featured on a couple of tracks...but I forget the name of the album. I suppose you could go to Amazon or Tower and type in Sharon Sheeley in their search engine and find it...

And THIS: a "lost" Stan Getz" produced by Mr. Alpert coming our way in two weeks...

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2881700&cc=USD

After Stan Getz died, Herb wrote a eulogy about Getz in Rolling Stone, and said that originally they had recorded a basic Getz album with his quartet playing some straight-ahead jazz. Herb thought they were just rehashing old ground and decided to write some original stuff and put Stan in a bit of a different light. This became the Apasionado album. I had a feeling that the quartet stuff would eventually surface. I'll be looking forward to this.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom