• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New "Live in London" DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
How odd after our recent discussion of Horizon and yet they use the same album cover. The logo appears to be legit. It's funny cause usually for us U.S. people these are imports yet now in other countries it's an import for them. lol

I'm not familar with Studio: Hudson Street??

41hrTsKqIvL._SS500_.jpg

It appears to be a placeholder page for when and *if* the title is ever released. It's probably a result of the hub-bub a year or so ago when it looked like a DVD was going to be released.

Harry

I did a quick search of Studio: Hudson Street and it appears they have released other well known DVD's.

This video must have just showed up on Amazon, kinda odd with such a close to release date, usually pre-orders are further out.

Does anyone remember who the distributor was on the other one that was suppose to release but never did? I wonder if this studio picked it up? Wouldn't these have to already have been made to be released in just a few weeks.

Could this be a dub from when this was broadcasted recently on BBC?

More details here:

http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=1302193

It looks like a bootleg copy of the 1971 BBC Concert to me. Such titles are becoming more frequent unfortunately. For example, there have been lots of Frank Zappa live dvd's available on Amazon recently that are sourced from TV broadcasts.

I would find it strange if it were a legitimate release why we have heard no mention of this title earlier, either from the BBC, Universal Music or Richard Carpenter, especially with an impending release date of March 9th.

Well, we know in the past sometimes bootleg's can yield some interesting suprises. Remember, A Video Biography Carpenters, Music Video Karaoke from Singapore, also using the true C logo and yet that was a suprise with a live track from Karen tucked in and Richard's automobile collection shown.

If that is the true track listing, it does appear to be the BBC which was suppose to be release before but never did. Will be interesting to see what this is all about and who will be the first to get it if it materializes.

It doesn't list a run time, does anyone remember if these track are in order from that show and what the time would consist of if these are the true tracks included?

I also noticed it does not state the region code. I can't imagine any legit release that is able to play worldwide.

It seems like it's the "edited" re-broadcast version of BBC '71 with the same track sequence, running approximately 30 minutes. By edited, I mean it does not include "I Fell In Love With You" or the Tony Joe White segments.

I would strongly urge members not to purchase products from such companies who profit from selling unauthorised material.

Yes, I have a couple of legitimate European DVDs that are region-free. I think companies will do certain titles this way so they can sell them in both the UK (Region 2) and Australia (Region 4) without the expense of making two versions. Those of us in North America just benefit by default.

mstaft said:
Chris, what live Karen track? I'm unfamiliar with this.

Hi Mark,

The complete DVD was really strange in the way the music was incorporated with the video, it would keep switching back and forth between the official videos and live concert footage but each time the live concert footage appeared it was not "live". It's a Kareoke DVD so there are always subtitles. There is also a strange piano track on one of the channels that plays over the original. The audio quality is pretty bad. Of all the live concert video footage they showed the only song that was truly "live" was the track I Need to be in Love and was taken from the Live in London/Palladium show that's been shown on the BBC recently. So why was that song out of the 21 songs included the only one that was truly "live"? Good question. Still...it's a bootleg DVD but still one that I consider worth the purchase because of that and Richard's automobile collection.

At first glance you would think it was an official release, the A&M logo is all there in the packaging and on the DVD and Polydor indicating original footage on the back cover and the Carpenters logo is correct.

Oh, I almost forgot the best part. Track #20 (Please Mr Postman) on the DVD is the true video taken from the Bruce Forsyth TV Show Karen appeared on in 1978 without Richard. The video is really pretty nice quality, never before released, however the bad thing is we don't get to hear the live track so it's the studio song playing over the live concert she performed at Christmas. That video for me was really worth it's price in GOLD because this show is one of those gems that has never before been released to the public and one I would love to see on video. It also confirms that this Christmas concert must be out there in quality of this same footage which is very good on DVD. I also wonder how Singapore was able to obtain this rare footage.

I hope this helps you. Sorry I just ramble on when it comes to the Carpenters :laugh: :wink:

Yeah, the audio on that Video Biography DVD is a strange animal. As I recall, the "real" Carpenters audio is on the right channel, while the left channel has an instrumental track for the Karaoke operation.

The weird part is that the instrumental and Carpenters tracks when played together are sometimes a bit out of synch, and you can tell that it's not Richard or any of the real instrumentation over there on the left.

So, the advice is to turn your stereo balance all the way to the right to listen to the official Carpenters music while playing the DVD. And Chris is right that there's just the one actual live track for "I Need To Be In Love." The rest are studio audio from the records.

Harry

I've noticed the past few days that the ranking at Amazon for this DVD is going lower and lower, people must be pre-ordering this.

Now it's at
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #7,222 in Movies & TV
a few days ago it was over 11,000

I also noticed they have a description listed I didn't see before:
Product Description
Connecticut-born sister and brother Karen and Richard Carpenter ruled the radio airwaves in the early seventies. Their big break came in 1970 with the release of the Burt Bacharach-Hal David song "(They Long To Be) Close To You," which stayed at #1 on the music charts for over a month. Their next single, "We've Only Just Begun," made it to #2 and became their second major hit in less than one year. Over the next several years, their debut album Close To You would sell over seven million copies, becoming one of the greatest sellers of all time. In this studio concert filmed in 1971, The Carpenters perform many of the hits that helped establish them as them a truly great musical team.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Be) In this studio concert filmed in 1971, The Carpenters perform many of the hits that helped establish them as them a truly great musical team.

...but did you notice that the larger title at the top still says "Live in London (1976)"

a little misleading.......

I just wish Richard would put together a DVD of various live performances...that would be nice.

Jonathan

Song4uman said:
I just wish Richard would put together a DVD of various live performances...that would be nice.
Jonathan

I don't think Richard cares for the video aspect of the business. I think there was a fans ask question about him releasing Make your own kind of music on video and he said that would never happen. It's a shame because there is still alot of video out there yet to be released. If only he had the same admiration for video as he does for audio we would be happy. I've often wondered if Karen were still alive if the fans would have more video for their collections. Karen might have softer heart toward fan's request. Until then it's bootlegs and copies from friends is all we have except for the official DVD's.

I'm dying to find out what this new released is really all about. Is it taken from an original master or a DVR copy, DVD quality from BBC or poor quality how about the audio? I don't know much about how this tally works but just looked and Amazon is showing this release is now:
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #6,880 in Movies & TV
I guess people are still buying this. uh? down 5000 from my earlier post.

Much to my surprise, I received notice from Amazon last night that this DVD has shipped. I fully expected it to just get delayed and delayed and never actually be released, but apparently it's on its way.

Will report more upon receiving it.

David

I'm sure there are many out there with their fingers on the "Add To Cart" button just waiting for your review, David. I'm one of them!

Harry

I'm with David, mine's already shipped as well. For me this is probably one of the most anticipated "video" to finally be released on DVD in the past few years. I'm suprised this made it to release. Can't wait to see what this is all about, maybe it will contain bonus material in the menus :D :D :D

OK, the LIVE IN LONDON DVD has arrived. It is a real DVD, not a DVD-R or DVD+R, but the packaging is minimal -- just a DVD case with a front and back cover (front cover as pictured in post above), and the disc itself.

There's a main menu, giving you the option of selecting "Play" or selecting an individual song title. If you select "Play," you get a brief FBI notice (funny how a bootleg item has an FBI notice on it), then video of a gentle stream flowing over some rocks as the production credits are shown.

Once you get the program itself, you notice immediately that this video was taken from a Japanese broadcast of the 1971 BBC concert, not the BBC broadcast. (Maybe Korean or Chinese, not sure if the characters are actually Japanese or a different language). The song titles are shown in English and Japanese, and the song lyrics are shown as captions in English at the bottom of the screen. There is NO option for turning of the captions, so you have to see the lyrics while you watch.

The video quality is quite good, at least for the 30 minutes of the BBC 1971 concert. At the end of DVD is footage of a different televised concert from about the same era -- I'm not sure which concert it is, but Karen's hairdo is very similar to the one in the BBC footage. The song from this concert is "Superstar," and it looks and sounds absolutely awful. It appears to have been taken from a 4th or 5th generation VHS copy.

So the first 30 minutes of the DVD are good, and the last four minutes are terrible.

And that's it. Nothing more. For what it is, it's not bad, although it could have been better if they had used the BBC's version of the broadcast instead of the Asian version.

David

Hi David, I have not received mine yet. So how long is it, you said 30 mins and 4 mins, amazon lists it as 45 mins.

Can you provide the list of song in order. Why would they include 1 song at the end from a different tape?

Still I'll be glad to get it because I don't have any of this 71 concert on a DVD format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom