• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Ronald Isley/Burt Bacharach CD Due Out Nov. 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just a heads up that the new Ronald Isley CD, Here I Am, is being released tomorrow, 11/11/2003.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C9ZK5/amcorne-20

Tracks include:

1. Alfie
2. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
3. In Between The Heartaches
4. Make It Easy On Yourself
5. A House Is Not A Home
6. The Look Of Love
7. Count On Me
8. This Guy's In Love With You
9. Close To You
10. Anyone Who Had A Heart
11. ove's (Still) The Answer
12. Here I Am
13. Windows Of The World

Burt Bacharach also arranges and conducts this project...I think it'll be a good one! I'll provide a review when I get a chance to hear it. :)

burt_isley_300.jpg

Coincidentally, I heard a commercial running on our station today for eBay. Apparently they've licensed Burt's "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?" changing the lyrics to "Do You Know The Way To Use eBay?" I'm forwarding a file of the commercial to Neil as we speak.

This new album sounds interesing. I'll await some reviews.

Harry
...on a Monday, Monday, online...

Amazon has sound clips of the first five tracks. Definitely a "champagne and fireplace" type of mood. :)

Harry said:
Coincidentally, I heard a commercial running on our station today for eBay. Apparently they've licensed Burt's "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?" changing the lyrics to "Do You Know The Way To Use eBay?"

There are two eBay TV commercials as well that use the tune as well. Very entertaining.

--Mr Bill
still amused that 80's punk and new wave tunes are now being used in commercials these days...

Mr Bill said:
still amused that 80's punk and new wave tunes are now being used in commercials these days...

Dude, that music we grew up with is now.......OLDIES! :confused:

I popped this in and found myself disappointed in the first couple of songs. I think "Alfie" was a poor choice for an opening track...it doesn't set the tone for the rest of the disk. Too languid, and "Raindrops" following is even slower.

But things pick up rapidly. "In Between the Heartaches" and "Anyone who Had a Heart" in particular, are beautiful. The more uptempo version of "This Guy's In Love With You" was a nice surprise too. I'm sure more favorites will stand out for me as time goes on. The arrangements are, as expected, uniformly great. Pretty cool the way Bacharach has been able to re-think these classic songs yet again.

If I had to summarize, I'd say this album is quite a bit like the Bacharach/Costello PAINTED FROM MEMORY project but somewhat slower in tempo, on average at least.

Can't wait for Bacharach's previously announced solo project to surface now!

Still waiting to see if I get this for Christmas before I go out and buy it myself. Or maybe someone will give me a gift certificate.

"Alfie" is a pretty unusual starting track; think I'd program the CD and put it elsewhere. "Raindrops", I've been collecting a lot of versions of--and Andy Williams does it the BEST, while Andre Kostalenz made it a real Tear-Jerker--I feel so misty all over listening to it! I love "Windows Of The World" and don't think anyone will come close to Jimmie Rodgers' version of it. Think I'd have to reprogram the CD for it to play first, however--it doesn't seem to "fit" as a final track. Guess "Close To You" will also rank with other versions I have--Tommy Roe, Andy Williams, Claudine, Gabor Szabo's instrumental version--and I even like it the way Johnny Mathis did it--AND DeeDee Warwicke. "Make It Easy On Yourself" and "Anyone Who Had A Heart" are probably not going to be as dramatic and robust as Jack Jones, Tom Jones, or even Tim Curry have done and Isley would likewise do in this day and age, but Who Knows?? Would you believe Chris Montez does my favorite version of "The Look Of Love"? Well, at least SERGIO MENDES comes SECOND! As for "This Guy's In Love With You", it might rank with Burt's own version, not to mention those by Herb Alpert, Al Wilson and even B.J. Thomas. Wish there were a "One Less Bell To Answer"; don't think there are enough versions of it out there, least done by those whom I think could. I'm not as anxious to get this, but it looks like I might enjoy it when I do.

Dave

...who still doesn't seem to be inclined to buy "the newest product"...yet... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom