• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Sergio Mendes CD from Concord - now JANUARY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

We got a release date, kids! :D :laugh: :cheers: !!

Got an Email today from the Concord Customer Service Department with the note "We are anticipating a mid to late Sept release for Sergio Mendes."

No track lists or personell, but thats OK. For now! :twisted:

Good news - all new material, not reissues. Some of the songs are new, very different versions of songs that Sergio has already recorded at one time or another ("Deixa" aka "Let Me" from his Brasil '65 days, for one) or Brazilian tunes he's never recorded before (Jobim's "Surfboard" being one of those). Some songs are brand new, too.

Bad news - no "Dindi"....

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Good news - all new material. Some of the songs are new, very different versions of songs that Sergio has already recorded at one time or another ("Let Me" from his Brasil '65, for one) or Brazilian tunes he's never recorded before (Jobim's "Surfboard" being one of those). Some songs are brand new.

I have always liked "Let Me", but I'm worried about Sergio's new project sounding too hip-hopish and too club like. With all due respect to Will.I.Am , I hope it doesn't sound like Blacked Eyed Peas. It should be interesting to be hearing Sergio doing Surfboard. Herbie mann had recorded it for the Red, Hot, and Rio compilation in 1996.Surfboard is also featured on Tom Jobim's final cd called Antonio Brasileiro.

I somehow don't think Sergio's new CD will be that hip-hoppish. But who could guess that he would go off into rap with "What Is This?"

The funny thing is, I think a lot of classic B'66 would make scorching dance club tracks. I'd love to hear what Victor Calderone or Junior Vasquez could do with "Ye-Me-Le", or "Lapinha"...or see what kind of deep 21st. century funk to "For What It's Worth" or "Crystal Illusions"! :o

Cortnee said:
It should be interesting to be hearing Sergio doing Surfboard. Herbie mann had recorded it for the Red, Hot, and Rio compilation in 1996.Surfboard is also featured on Tom Jobim's final cd called Antonio Brasileiro.

In fact, Antonio Carlos Jobim recorded Surfboard twice before on the 1965 Warner Bros album The wonderful world of Antonio Carlos Jobim with orchestra arranged by Nelson Riddle and on A certain Mr. Jobim from 1967 with Claus Ogerman as arranger and also on Warner Bros.

a quote`from the Warner Bros Archives serie album; Antonio Carlos Jobim Composer;
"Riddle delivers a memorably vivid schock with his film noir string interjections on "Surfboard" (Ogermans "Surfboard" with features Dick Hyman on organ, puts more swing into the breaks.)

And about Will.I.Am, don't worry Cortnee, Sergio will also control
his production Will.I.Am is a collaborater in the production so they will work together and Will.I.Am is a creative comtemporary musician / composer / producer so the product will be interesting enough and I expect some fine acoustic piano parts from Sergio on his upcoming Concord release.
And as Billl Cantos spoke in a former thread what he heard was very contemporary.
Will.I.Am is a great fan of Sergio's music and he listened a lot to records of Sergio Mendes and Astrud Gilberto.

BTW, the recently Black Eyed Peas release, Monkey Business is a fine produced album in terms of sound, songs, vocals, rhythms and commercial appeal.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

It's an amazing project which combines a bit of the old with some of the new.

As a band member told me recently, "Sergio and the band are very excited. We love all of the support and we're looking forward to gaining some fans as well as pleasing the current Brasil fans." Then added, "All of Sergio's dedication to his gift is coming together in a whole new way. Forty years of Sergio and Brasil. For this we are grateful."

I can definitely promise one thing: it's not going to be "Sergio goes hip-hop" as some might expect. Rather, it's a groovy mix of new, updated sounds.

Few (if anyone) will be disappointed. Come September, we'll all be a bunch of Happy Campers!!

Jon :D

As of July 5, there iss still no new information from the Concord site. They only list the JULY releases.

Now, I ask you ... is it really TOO MUCH to ask for a track listing, cover art and personell listing? And just MAYBE a sound clip or three? Bah. :confused:

Can you tell I'm just a TINY bit impatient for September? :laugh:

More info from Bill Cantos.....:

"Hey all - as you may know, Sergio's doing the Blue Note clubs in Japan (Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, and Fukuoka) during late July and early August; I haven't heard any final mixes of the new record yet, but I hope to soon. As I get more details, I will pass them on. I can give you a couple more names of guest artists - Stevie Wonder, Guinga, and Jill Scott. Also, Leo Nobre, Mike Shapiro and Kleber Jorge are all there......"

Sergio's doing the Blue Note clubs in Japan (Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, and Fukuoka) during late July and early August.

It looks like Jessica Taylor is not part of the Japan tour line-up... I hope I'm wrong.

Mike said:
It looks like Jessica Taylor is not part of the Japan tour line-up... I hope I'm wrong.

Tes, you are right....Jessica's unavailable, so it will be just Dawn and Gracinha handling the vocals....

JTCW

Not to worry, JTCW... Tes isn't the worse thing I've ever been called.

Do you know if Jessica is moving on to other things permanently, or is this temporary?

All I know is that no live gigs other than Japan are even on the schedule right now (however, that will surely change soon with the release of the album)....

JTCW

That's all very nice to hear about Sergio's Japan concerts and sad to hear that Jessica has REALLY left the group...but..CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC?? Please? ARRRGH!!! :) (Banging head on PC)

I want to know more about the album......its TITLE....the song selection...whether Lani & Herb are on it...what other vocalists besides Gracinha...what is the very earliest I can get a copy...you know, all the juicy stuff... :)

CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC?? Please? ARRRGH!!! (Banging head on PC)

Geez, lighten up, eh? More info will follow when it's available, which may be today or may be in a month. Stay tuned.

Can I help it if I'm cranky, grumpy, irrititable and impatient? :)

I do feel this will be another HORIZONTE ABERTO and worth the wait.

I'm so desperate for anything half-way Sergiesque that I finally bought THE CARNIVAL CD in desperation (had a well-word LP and thought it was a cheesy guilty pleasure).

"Walk on By" isn't bad (makes me wonder if B'66 ever tackled this) and "Son of a Preacher Man" and "Laia Ladaia á Go-Go" are so-bad-its-fab. And "Take Me For A Little While" is a masochistic gem.

But whoa, those liner notes. Janis needs to stop drinkin' those bitter juices!

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
More info from Bill Cantos.....:

" I haven't heard any final mixes of the new record yet, but I hope to soon. As I get more details, I will pass them on. I can give you a couple more names of guest artists - Stevie Wonder, Guinga, and Jill Scott. Also, Leo Nobre, Mike Shapiro and Kleber Jorge are all there......"

It's about time that Stevie and Sergio collaborate again! As for Jill Scott being a guest artist, I am BLOWN AWAY!I have been told that another surprise guest artist will be hip hip rapper Q-Tip. So I guess I was right after all, Sergio's new project will be hip-hop samba. Jill's a remarkable r&b vocalist and I'm sure that she'll blend in well with Sergio's style. Jill is also a dear friend of mine, i have known her since our childhood days. She hasn't said anything to me about being on Sergio's new project, and she knows that I'm a big Sergio fan.I guess Jill's trying to surprise me..............

Paul is correct here...where is the song list for the new album???

We do, however, have a tentative title...Sergio's new Concord Release is entitled "Timeless" -- rather fitting, seeing as his music has, indeed, stood the test of time.

Now...if only we could magically snap our fingers and make September 27th roll around say sometime...tomorrow?

The stuff that dreams are made of!!

Jon

Hooray - I'm thrilled you found an actual RELEASE DATE, Jon! I'm thirsting for a song list and especially the names of more guest artists - Jill Scott and Q-Tip make for an tantalizingly intersting addition!

But Gee, that Concord site sure doen't give out any more new info that it absolutely has to! :sad:

Hi All:

I have made a new contact at Concord Records through friend and former A&M Promotion guy, Jon Konjoyan. I am requesting more info about Sergio's upcoming release and will pass it along as available.

I also have received a promo copy of the new Rita Coolidge CD and will soon post a review. The track that Herb guests on sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom