• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

OLLIE MITCHELL, R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
From Denny Tedesco:

Such sad news from Hawaii. Trumpeter Ollie Mitchell has passed. Ollie became a top Hollywood studio musician during the ‘60’s and continued on into the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s. He became part of the sound of pop music on thousands of records, TV shows, jingles, cartoons, and movies during those years. The list of artists he has played with and for is several pages long and includes the Concert for Bangladesh held in Madison Square Garden in New York in 1971.

He has recorded with everyone...Barbara Streisand, BB King, Bing Crosby, Bobby Dari, Carole King, Donna Summer, Duke Ellington, Ella Firzgerald, Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, Harry James, James Brown, Nat ‘King’ Cole, Sammy Davis, Jr., Santana, Ray Charles, The Jakson 5, Tom Jones and The Rolling Stones and TJB.

I don't think Ollie ever put the horn down. Here is a clip that Aaron Loo put together from Ollies trip back to LA for a visit in 2009. You can see the love at the party. All ...of his friends of the past were there. Jackie Kelso, Chuck Findley, Ira Nepus, Gary Grant, Charley Davis, Gene Cipriano, Max Bennet, Dennis Budimer and so many others.

Rest in Peace Ollie. You gave the best to your family, friends and the rest of the world with your trumpet.

e hoʻomaha me ka maluhia

Note: For those with a sharp eye, you'll see Bob Edmondson in a couple of the shots.

Quite a lot of records equated w/ horns or "Hollywood Brass" incorporated him...

The obscure: John "Buck" Wilkin, Bob Thiele & His New Happy Times Orchestra, Michael Parks, and Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds...! --Many more...!

May good ol' Ollie rest in peace...!

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom