• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Other 12" Single Favorites

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Non-A&M, what are some of your favorite classic 12" singles? I could list dozens I'm sure, but I'll start by listing a few I still enjoy listening to even today.

Chicago: "Street Player." Bought this one back when it was first released, on the standard hot pink Columbia label. It differs from the album version in that it has added percussion, a more rhythmic mix, and it features a different mix on the solo trumpet part as well (a cameo by Maynard Ferguson). It is also shorter by, I think, half a minute, and Maynard's soloing (if you can call it that :laugh: ) does not reappear at the end like it does on the album version. Copies of this in recent years have sold in the hundreds of dollars, due to rarity, although prices have relaxed in the past couple of years to somewhat more sensible levels. The latest reissue of Chicago 13 has the remix as a bonus track, albeit played back at a slightly slower speed (oops), and it also appeared on an 80s compilation that Columbia put out, with the last minute or so faded out.

Sheila & B. Devotion: "Spacer." Essentially a Chic recording with a different lead vocalist. The 12" is not so easy to find, and it is an extended version. Not sure if this is the same as the album version.

Earth Wind & Fire: "Let's Groove" (Special Holiday Mix). I remember radio playing this quite a bit back when it was popular, but never could find the single in the stores. Turns out it was a promo-only release. It was only in the mid 90s that I finally nailed a copy, from a former DJ who was selling off duplicates. The difference here is the added synth parts--the synth is up higher in the mix, and a synth solo plays during the horn breaks, twice. There are other minor differences.

EW&F's "Getaway" is another nice one to find, but much more rare...I would have to count my rekkids if my "twin" pays me a visit. :D (I think I willed it to him, just to be safe! :D ) This is a promo-only extended version, and is somewhat different for Columbia in that it is cut at 45RPM, stereo on one side and mono on the other. Aside from some extended parts, it is the same basic mix as the album version.

Isaac Hayes: "Don't Let Go." This Polydor promo 12" has the album-length cut on one side, and an even longer 10+ minute extended version on the flip side. I didn't realize it until several years ago that it was a remake of the Roy Hamilton song! (Never listened to 50s music all that much, so was never able to make the connection.) Great rhythm on this one, with sort of a stripped-down feel to it.

Q-Feel's "Danciung in Heaven"
a good chunk of early Spandau Ballet 12-inchers
Modern English's "I Melt With You"
Blancmange's "Dancing On The Ceiling"
Just about any 12" version of songs by any of the McLaren inspired "fashion" bands (Hayzi Fantayzi, Wide Boy Awake, etc. (but not Culture Club -- ecchh!))
McLaren's own 12" versions of his tunes.

Back
Top Bottom