• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Pete Jolly SEASONS on CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Just received a note from Dusty Groove that SEASONS is now in stock ($12.99) and should receive this in 3-6 days.
Jolly's earlier album, LITTLE BIRD (1963), will come out on CD later this month.

JB

SEASONS arrived in yesterday's mail & sounds really great. Original cover art & liner notes, plus the back sleeve says "originally released in 1970 - A&M SP 3033."

The CD is a replica of a white label A&M promo, so it matches my LP copy. How neat is that?

JB

I just received Pete Jolly's SEASONS from Dusty Groove. This reissue is through Dusty Groove themselves - they've licensed the album from Universal Special Markets, and they're the ones taking the risk of doing so. On that basis, then, we should all get these reissues and support the effort.

From the description on the site, I was expecting a mini-LP style package. But it's a standard clear jewel-case, with the full original artwork on the front and back of the booklet insert, a reprinting of the original liner notes inside, and a large legible track listing on the back insert.

There's a note on the back stating that the album was originally issued in 1970 as A&M SP 3033, and the logo and catalog number remain on the front cover.

Inside the clear spine is the words, "ESSENTIAL REISSUE" and a Dusty Groove America logo. Under the clear tray are pictures of five other albums in the series (none of which I recognize), and the www.dustygroove.com URL.

The disc inside brough a smile to my face as it looks like an old white label promo. The face of the disc is white, the printing is black, except for the A&M part of the logo, which is orange.

A quick listen to the disc reveals that it sounds pretty good. It does not have that "too loud" mastering that's so common these days. Indeed, it was mastered at about the same level as my old CD-R from the LP. The big difference is that the sound of the new disc doesn't suffer from clicks and pops like my old LP does.

Good effort, Dusty! Keep up the good work, and bring on HERB ALPERT PRESENTS PETE JOLLY and GIVE A DAMN!

Harry

jollyseasons1.sized.jpg

jollyseasons6.sized.jpg

jollyseasons4.sized.jpg

jollyseasons3.sized.jpg

jollyseasons2.sized.jpg

jollyseasons5.sized.jpg

www.dustygroove.com

I received mine in the mail today! I think the people at Dusty Groove have done an outstanding job on this reissue. The packaging is pretty classy. The sound is far better than my old needle drop CD-R.

Well done, Dusty Groove!

Now, how about going to work on the other two A&M Pete Jolly LPs?

All the best,
Mike

LPJim said:
Jolly's earlier album, LITTLE BIRD (1963), will come out on CD later this month.

JB

I went to Yokohama yesterday and picked up “Little Bird” as well as “”Sweet September”. Both were just reissued on CD here in Japan. These two CDs will make a very nice addition to my Pete Jolly collection.

By-the-way – these CDs sound great!

Best regards,
Mike

Mike--do you have the RCA Pete Jolly CDs? The only one I grabbed was "When Lights Are Low". He had a few albums as a solo artist while he was in Shorty Rogers' Giants.

Rudy said:
Mike--do you have the RCA Pete Jolly CDs? The only one I grabbed was "When Lights Are Low". He had a few albums as a solo artist while he was in Shorty Rogers' Giants.

Hi Rudy,

I have the following Pete Jolly RCA recordings on CD:

The Five
Jolly Jumps In
Duo, Trio, Quartet
When Lights are Low

Regards,
Mike

Good deal, Mike. :thumbsup: I don't even know if they stayed in print that long. I was only able to get the one, and never did get the others. I might even try to find those on RCA vinyl if I get a chance.

Rudy, you might like to check out this recently released CD:

Pete Jolly "Quartet, Quintet & Sextet"
Featuring: Shorty Rogers, Conte Candoli (tp), Jimmy Giuffre (bars), Bill Perkins (ts), Pete Jolly (p, acc), Howard Roberts (g), Buddy Clark, Curtis Counce, Bob Bertaux (b), Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne, Bob Neal (d)

It's a compilation of Pete's RCA stuff.

Tracklisting:

1. Dancers In Love 2:16
2. Clickin’ With Clax 3:51
3. Black 3:24
4. I Got It Bad And That Ain’t Good 3:33
5. Whistle While You Work 2:28
6. Perkin’ 2:37
7. Beyond The Sea 3:36
8. I Dig Ed 3:14
9. Lullaby Of The Leaves 3:05
10. Forelock 3:01
11. Soft As Spring 2:55
12. Just For Judie 3:14
13. If I Love Again 2:47
14. Red Eyes 3:02
15. Pushin’ Sand 3:02
16. I’ll Be In Scotland After You 2:49
17. Jolly Jumps In 2:37
18. Pete’s Meat 4:45
19. Why Do I Love You? 2:29
20. I Get A Kick Of You 5:50
21. Hyacinth 2:32

More info can be found at:
http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/

It's available at Amazon.

Regards,
Mike

That sounds like a good one--with a lot of the best west coast players on it. :thumbsup: Thanks!

Seasons is a good, conceptual listen... If only the other two Pete Jolly albums could come out, especially via this Dusty Groove Exclusive-reissue program...!

Dave

I got this CD last year but for some reason have only now started listening to it. I was expecting a straight jazz album, but this is something different. It's got a rather "spare" or sparse feel to it and sounds a bit like a concept album, perhaps. I'm finding it rather addictive!

i thiunk I read somewhere here that Seasons was the same as Song For Herb (although I can't find that posting now). And I always thought that Song HAD been written For Herb!

Stephen

I got the CD.

I see a lot of experimentation here. There's a lot of funk going on. Jolly is just going places, and the other players are following him. Musette here, Wurlitzer electric piano there, fat synth tones another place, then Hammond organ and electric piano together.

I wonder if "Plummer Park" influenced Medeski Martin & Wood. The organ on this song reminds me of Medeski's use of the Hammond on the album Uninvisible. I'll have more comments after I finish listening the whole thing.

"Plummer Park" really belongs in the ranks of "Cherry Hill Park" and "Itchykoo Park" ("...It's all too beautiful...") and even "MacArthur Park"... Kind'a something about a park that is haunting and intriguing when set to song...

If only "Plummer..." could'a made it onto Liberace's "Parks & Recreations Suite" consisting of "Cherry Hill..." and "MacArthur..."...

Dave

Perhaps hip-hop cover versions of all these tunes could comprise a concept album for the band Linkin Park. They'd need to include Phil Ochs' "Lincoln Park" for sure.

JB

There is another "park song" I know of, too; "Sunshine Park"... Don't know who the author is but I had a version by Trini Lopez on his album The Whole Enchilada, produced by Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom