• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Police DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Yesterday I picked up a DVD of the Police called Every Breath You Take - The DVD, which is great! I played it on the DTS 5.1 Surround Sound - cranked up, of course. :wink: Not only does it have all the old videos, but includes some extras, such as an old TV show called Old Grey Whistle Test, where they perform "Can't Stand Losing You" and "Next To You", as well as a documentary called "Police in Montserrat", where they were working on the Ghost In The Machine album. Each of the boys had a separate interview about their respective instruments, and Sting talks about how he writes songs using a drum machine and tape recorder. They all end up playing an improvised swinging blues (with Sting playing upright bass) that is pretty neat.

As for the original videos, there are a couple of differences that I've noticed. "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" is done at a faster tempo, with a slightly different mix, and "Invisible Sun" has a different ending added onto it. This should be a "must have" for Police aficionados! :cool:

Capt. Bacardi

I'll report on some new gear myself after the kiddies go to bed. :)

As for the POlice videos, I recall seeing "Every Little Thing..." somewhere, possibly on my videotape, and it is sped up by almost a half tone if I'm hearing it correctly. Also, "Invisible Sun" on my videotape ends with the quote, "All I want is a place somewhere....".

Sounds like an expanded version of the VHS I own already. Sounds like a must-buy. :)

Looks like ol' Rudy finally got his Steely Dan-themed license plate.

7859099113eea7bb58d129.jpg

Cool!

I've only had one person inquire about the meaning of mine:

b66license.jpg

Harry
...TJB B66, online...

Yours could almost pass for a legit plate number. I know here there are some "reserved" sequences nobody can use. Also nice we can check online to see if they are taken yet or not.

Although at least one member over at the Hoffman forum would have you believe the songs NOT from the new SACD(or the old DTS)are not in 'true discrete 5.1,' my ears tell me otherwise. "So Lonely" certainly sounds discrete, though the way most of the mixes were done, instruments appear in more than one speaker anyway, intentionally so, and thus, not discrete the way most 5.1 remixes tend to be.

Overall, I enjoyed the DVD a lot. They do use an alt. video version of "Roxanne"(there are several, in fact; what you see is the band's fave, I guess), and "Invisible Sun" does indeed end a little different. The mix for "Every Little Thing" is different than the original stereo, but at least it's not the alternate used for the DTS disc! Like the 45, it's sped up slightly, but the old VHS and laserdisc wsa sped up to fit everything onto an hour tape/CLV laser side! It was way, way too fast, done for 'time compression' purposes, I believe.

A keeper, as is the Queen DVD with the mainly 4.0 discrete Quad mixes of their key hits.

ED:cool:

Ed Bishop said:
They do use an alt. video version of "Roxanne"(there are several, in fact; what you see is the band's fave, I guess)

I've been wondering about this myself. Years ago when I used to tape music videos from VH-1/MTV/BET (remember when they actually played music videos???? :rolleyes: ) I had a couple of different versions of "Roxanne". I always liked the version where the background is all red and the Police are dressed in black playing along with the song.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Ed Bishop said:
They do use an alt. video version of "Roxanne"(there are several, in fact; what you see is the band's fave, I guess)

I've been wondering about this myself. Years ago when I used to tape music videos from VH-1/MTV/BET (remember when they actually played music videos???? :rolleyes: ) I had a couple of different versions of "Roxanne". I always liked the version where the background is all red and the Police are dressed in black playing along with the song.

Capt. Bacardi

I think that's the version fans were expecting; haven't checked my old VHS copy, but I could have sworn that's the version used there. But, the band calls the shots, they wanted the more conceptual vid, so they got it. No biggie to me, in this situation I'm more interested in the 5.1 multi-channel, not the video quality itself, which, much of the time, is passable at best, but could have been cleaned up much better, IMO.

ED:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom