Poll: Your Favorite Herb Alpert SOLO Album

Which is your favorite Herb Alpert solo album?

• Just You & Me

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela

• Main Event Live

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rise

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Beyond

• Magic Man

• Fandango

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Blow Your Own Horn

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Wild Romance

• Keep Your Eye On Me

• Under A Spanish Moon

• My Abstract Heart

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • North On South St.

• Midnight Sun

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Second Wind

• Passion Dance

• Colors

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a sealed LP of Bullish a few years ago. The innersleeve has minimal credits way up in the upper left corner of one side of it. The innersleeve is mostly photos--one side is one of those four poses with the red background, and the other side is the long-exposure photo with the "ghost" image of the trumpet in two positions. The LP cover has very little on it.

This one barely squeaks by as "Tijuana Brass." It did result in the tour with some of the alumni joining up...and it does say "Tijuana Brass" on the cover. But instrumentally, the only thing it has in common is a certain trumpet player. :wink:

-= N =-

is as vexing a question as one is likely to find, and personally, I have an easier time figgering out those crop circles, but this isn't Art Bell's site, so getting down to brass tacks on the 'Brass' would be more suitable. I guess that the two factors that the classic 60's T.J.B. possessed, that are lacking in Herb's 'revival' music are both the marimba and trombone, and the presence of synths (and funk rhythms instead of shuffle), but apart from those considerations, Herb Alpert has managed to remain consistant, without becoming redundant, which is quite an accomplishment. Who else in the Pop establishment is able to boast such claims? The most difficult thing isn't neccessarily creating a 'sound', but being able to vary it, without losting it altogether, and Herb Alpert has done just that. Many can change, and in fact completely re-invent themselves, and in the process, abandon their past, along with their following, but the really cool thing about Alpert, is that he has managed to use the times, and whatever they have to offer, and yet create music that is recognizably his It's all down to what the liner noted on "The Lonely Bull" implied, and that's the T.J.B. were to be vesatile, and incompass *everything* that is Tijuana, which has come to mean funk, rock, and whatever that Americanized border town gets into, and so using T.J. as a reference has always meant the opportunity to freely synthesize sounds, styles, and genres. Basically, Herb's a guy that, although pressing 70, is still young...heck, if medical science allows him a way to regain his youth, Alpert will be creating and doing his thing for another 40, 80 years, or however long he has available. This is a case in point for being 'young-at-heart', and clearly, those that have attained it, are well-off for it! As (again) for what is,or not Tijuana Brass, well just give Herb Alpert the time and chance, and he'll find another slew of definitions. By now, it seems to be that group that debuted back in '62, and appears to be going strong. After all, Tijuana Brass is a label which has seemingly described the best rhythmic instrumentals of the 60's, but just when it seemed that the band was defunct, it returned, and doggone it all, they're vital as ever, whether they're T.J.B.,or whatever, cuz no-one consistently pleases (and challenges) like the 'Brass'...no-one! So bring on delightfull items like "Keep Your Eye On Me", or "Fandango", "Beyond", or another "!Going Places! This is real, genuine music that recieves a :thumbsup: from this here guy that has dug them for most of his life, and I'm ready for another36 years of it.
Warm Wishes,
Steve

Mike Blakesley said:
I'm probably the only one here who really doesn't care for Herb's solo albums all that much. I've rarely played one all the way thru more than once since RISE. I guess I'm not enough of a jazz fan.

I'm with you there, Mike. After Fandango most LPs left me feeling empty. But, fortunately almost every ablum had at least one track that I enjoyed. Until Under A Spanish Moon and Midnight Sun. Those two and the three ALMOSounds Releases were BIG disappointments to me... I think I've only played those 5 once or twice each.

--Mr Bill

I have to agree with Bill, that that later Alpert efforts tended to abandon the appeal that was abundantly available on most of those great 80's releases. Productions such as "Blow Your Own Horn", "Fangango", "Beyond", "Rise", and "Keep Your Eye ON Me" were all highly-accessable disks that contain the kind of quality that Herb was renoun for, and while a clearly different approach than the Tijuana Brass, those solo endeavors were satisfying, and have become great faves of mine. In fact, in my opinion, "Magic Man" could and shouldhave been issued years before it was; it would have been a nifty sequel to "You Smile, the Song Begins"...to me it's that good, but somehow, Alpert productions eventually became inaccessable, but a few such as "Under A Spanish Moon" are nice as special occasions, even though they're quirky as hell, but that's ok with me...every so often, that is. Others, such as "Midnight Sun" would have been winners, had a few uptempo tracks been included. I'm also a jazz fan, and can dig many of the selections on "Sun", as Herb's muted trumpet bears a pleasing likeness to Miles Davis, and the rhythm section played admirably, but over all, it was redundant; with a c.d.changer, one can program various items into other c.d.s., and the same goes with "Second Wind", which offers a nifty mellow counterpart to "Flamingo"; the Tijuana Brass version is of course a sheer classic in every respect of the word, and is clearly untouchable, but the slow verion provides a neat companion arrangement, and it's ditto with the remake of "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face", which also becomes the flip side of the coin of that fabulous '64 performance. These new versions won't ever hope to equal the originals, but they provide enjoyment nonetheless. As for the remake of "Taste of Honey", were it played in a quicker tempo, perhaps it may've been acceptable....the muted effect was nice, but alas, there's no groove, and that's the problem with Herb's later productions, and that's they lack groove.
Warm Wishes,
Steve[/b]

Although I really enjoy all of his solo efforts, I guess I most like My Abstract Heart, especially the title cut. Second choice would have to be the most popular Fandango, and third the dark and moody Just You and Me, especially the cut Grandpa Lou, which has kinda haunted me since I first heard it in 1976. Incidently, I remember going to the record store that spring and planning on buying Frampton's live album and seeing Herb's new one and quickly changing my purchase plans. It's nice to remember those nice surprises when I first saw his new albums sitting in the store. It was always so great to play his records for the first time. With few exceptions, there was no advance notice, as opposed to today when websites like this keep us informed on everything.

This is a tough one! How can you do this to us? I'm in agony. I would say it is "Midnight Sun". This album is one that I had hoped for for a long time. I believe it's Herb as his natural, relaxed self, complete with a few imperfections, if I may say that with all due respect. In this album, he's out in front (again) but with minimal backup and production. My 2 favorite cuts on this one are "Friends", because it's pretty and has Stan Getz and John Pisano with him, and the Charlie Chaplin penned "Smile" which is also very pretty and my favorite of the two. I suppose there is some meaning behind recording the song, including it being one of the last cuts he'd record in the studio built by the man he's remembering in song. The only thing I am not thrilled with is use of a "mute". I'm not a fan of mutes so that would appear to be my problem, not Herb's. In all, this is a very fine, natural, and pretty album. The orchestration is outstanding. Great job again, Herb...as usual!

Tom
Pensacola, Florida :D

Miles Davis used a mute almost exclusively on his later recordings. I agree it's a bit much. Different mutes give different tonal variations, but it can be too much of a good thing.

-= N =-

Rudy said:
I'm also thinking back to Wild Romance again...if I remember, it was reviewed in Stereo Review by Chris Albertson (who was more of a jazz reviewer). He'd stated that even if the albums weren't his favorite type of music, they were never in bad taste. Up until Wild Romance, which he panned.

To be honest, I'm surprised Chris Albertson was that kind to the pre-Wild Romance albums. He's not easy to please.

Actually Neil (and/or Capt. Bacardi)... you may have talked to Chris in the past without even knowing it. He used to post at 52nd Street under the name "Fred Nurdley."

- William

William said:
To be honest, I'm surprised Chris Albertson was that kind to the pre-Wild Romance albums. He's not easy to please.

The albums weren't always reviewed...but I like how he phrased it. The albums weren't exactly his cup of tea, but he never thought them to be in bad taste. Which sort of echoes my own thoughts on a lot of albums...I don't exactly have to like an artist (or composer) to realize a recording is a good one.

William said:
Actually Neil (and/or Capt. Bacardi)... you may have talked to Chris in the past without even knowing it. He used to post at 52nd Street under the name "Fred Nurdley."

No kidding!! Small world. Does he write for another site now? I thought i saw his stuff at another jazz website (possibly the one I mention below).

Recently, the website All About Jazz approached us about displaying our older reviews on their site. Not sure whatever happened to that, but i know that "Dr. Bob" (Bob Bragonier) on the Street interviewed David Benoit for All About Jazz. Bob's a cool guy, though--he's an avid jazz collector, big George Shearing fan, and loves to teach anyone who'll listen.

I could usually take Albertson's reviews as a good barometer of a recording. Used to enjoy reading his reviews.

Wow...this is a hard one!

I went with Just You & Me because it reminds me of a great time in my life - the high school years. It was a perfect album for a rainy day, a quiet night, a drive through the mountains - whatever the case - it fit so many moods. IMHO, it's a very personal album - a glimpse into the love that is Herb Alpert & Lani Hall. Aria has to be one of the greatest songs on the album. You can feel the inspiration, love and feeling behind Just You & Me - all the reasons I selected this as my favorite Herb Alpert solo album.

Next in line would have to be Main Event Live...incredible!! Herb Alpert & Hugh Masekela would follow as a close third. Magic Man and Fandango represent such a wonderful period in Herb's solo career - Fandango being a high time for Lani's Latin American solo career as well, with the debut of Lani, Lani Hall and Es Facil Amar. I always think of these albums - together with Fandango - as a magical time in Herb's solo career.

Of course, this is a difficult task, seeing as every album has something of merit - certain songs jump out at me. Always Have A Dream (I know...this is from Bullish, but I couldn't help it...) is goose-bump material (IMHO). Dancing In The Light is absolutely magical. Behind The Rain just makes you feel good - great mood lifter. The list goes on and on...

Long story short: my favorite Alpert solo album would have to be Just You & Me! :wink:

Jon...the "TJB Nut"

I think that most of Herb's stuff after the final A&M release "Midnight Sun" has been really tough for true fans. I would say that all releases since could have remained "in the can".
I feel that Herb and the TJB's first 13 albums, ending with "Summertime" (the definative final TJB outing), are essential. After that, in my opinion, it becomes really hit and miss, take "Under a Spanish Moon" for example, the sound was getting depressing, as compared to the TJB. A real 180.
"Magic Man"and "Fandango" were musically good, but did lack something for me- I just cannot put my finger on it.
"Rise" was excellent, but very uneven, lots of filler on that one.
The Janet Jackson album "Keep Your Eye on Me" was ok, but uneven and seemed forced.
Even averaging the bad with the good, Herb is still batting at least .500, nobody bats 1000.

Steven J. Gross said:
I think that most of Herb's stuff after the final A&M release "Midnight Sun" has been really tough for true fans. I would say that all releases since could have remained "in the can".

I couldn't disagree more with that statement, with the possible exception of Colors. I felt that both Second Wind and Passion Dance showed how much Herb matured as both a trumpeter and as an artist. He played with more openess than before, just gliding all over the horn. I think that him going back on tour and playing smaller venues helped his approach to playing, which seemed more free and flowing. He also has established himself as a master of ballads. I'd take SW & PD over a lot of his 80's works.

Capt. Bacardi
...kickin' back with a Heineken online... :wink:

I find it to be quite difficult to rate Herb's records, for the reason that, with few exceptions, all of them have such fine merit. As someone that dug the T.J.B. during the 60's ("Taste of Honey" just about blew me away when it was first released, and was the first 'Brass' item that I can recall hearing), of course I am biased towards Herb's music of that era, but then again, his material from the 80's on is also praiseworthy, and if anything, demonstrated what many had suspected earlier on: that the charisma that was the T.J.B. was actually, in effect, Herb's unique way with a trumpet, and throughout the decades, it has been proven time after time again that, regardless of the rhythmic styles that Herb employs, be it the shuffle of his earlier years, or the funk of his 80's gems, beneath it all was the Alpert trumpet., and that has always meant a special way of communicating musical concepts.
That, I believe, is what his records are all about, be they from any time, but again, because I am a 'Boomer' (close to 50 now), I have to accept that it's those groovy Tijuana Brass albums that recieve my top ratings...oh! what I'd give to hear a "Sounds Like", "S.R.O.", or any of those other fine productions again for the very first time. Perhaps it was because I was younger, or whatever, but back then, as new T.J.B. album or single was such a thrill, but nonetheless, I've loved so much of the guy's solo stuff.
I'll just arbitrarilly nominate "Magic Man" as my fave, and follow it with "Beyond", and continue with "Blow Your Own Horn", and...heck, most of 'em have provided me great pleasure, but eventually, no matter how I enjoy those musical treasures, me always puts on "South Of The Border", (which is arguably their finest effort) and gets back to me younger years, and that magic of the T.J.B... :D

Warm Wishes,
Steve, who's also a real T.J.B. nut...lol and for good reason:
the stuff's so damned enjoyable...love it :!:

"Funky Reggae" is tolerable...but NORTH ON SOUTH STREET would make a good frisbee..
Awww.......what's the matter, are your ears too rusty for NORTH ON SOUTH STREET? Keep in mind Dan that HERB had recorded NORTH ON SOUTH STREET for us YOUNG KIDS! Yeah, that's right Herb cares about the so called CHILDREN! He was only trying to follow the success from KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME. NOSS IS MY FAVORITE!

Nah, Jill...the rust is in my brain...I'd forgotten that FUNKY RAEGGAE was on NOSS. It's not all THAT bad....but when it first came out, I wasn't impressed. Kinda grows on ya...but I wouldn't like a steady diet of it.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom