• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Press Conference in Tokyo Oct. 15, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

Richard is at more than 20 newspaper sites now.
Tokyo Simbun(Newspaper), Kyoto Simbun, Kobe Simbun,....Sports/Entertainment papers.

20081015-4803496-1-N.jpg

According to the articles,
The press conference was held at Yuraku-cho, Tokyo.

Richard will start to perform in 2009 to celebrate 40th anniversary.

Tribute album (produced by Richard himself?) is to be released in October 2009.
Artists around the world will perform, including Julian Lennon(SP?)

Solo album is to be released in December 2009.

Richard will perform at Expo 2010 Shanghai.

and
Tour!!

mono08-83402_pho01.jpg

The following may not be shown.
PN2008101501000548.-.-.CI0003.jpg

( The same but smaller,
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s/article/images/2008101501000548.jpg )

Sakura

I would like to see 40th Anniversary "Deluxe Editions" of at least some of the albums in the U.S. As nice as the Remastered Classics were, the booklets were not so good - just reprints of the previous ones, in some cases. I probably wouldn't buy them all, but would definitely go for the first five albums.

Way to go Richard! I am so happy he is taking a role in keeping the Carpenters legacy alive. Let's hope all of these projects come to pass.

This is great news to any Carpenters fan!.

...solo album 2009? Hopefully more like 'Time', unless the solo refers to a Christmas album? Thanks for the updates. This provides nice hope for next year.

goodjeans said:
...solo album 2009? Hopefully more like 'Time', unless the solo refers to a Christmas album? Thanks for the updates. This provides nice hope for next year.

You are welcome.

I haven't read all the articles yet, but one article says solo is for Christmas.

Sakura

Asian news and lots of Australian sites started to report the press conference in Tokyo. They have more details than Japanese articles. Here is one of them;

Carpenters' legend plans comeback

From correspondents in Tokyo

October 15, 2008 10:41pm

RICHARD Carpenter, one half of the legendary pop music duo The Carpenters, today announced a comeback bid, saying he would release two albums in Japan where the band enjoys a large fan base.

Carpenter, celebrating his 62nd birthday, said he would release an album towards the end of next year featuring covers of his songs followed by a solo Christmas album with new material.

He plans to go on tour in 2010 when he hopes to complete another album.

"I am pleased to choose to relaunch The Carpenters in Japan,'' he said.

The Carpenters still enjoy a strong following in Japan, where textbooks have used their songs to teach English.

"Japanese people have always been loyal. They're not big on something that's like a flavour of the week sound. Once they like you, they like you.''

The Carpenters, featuring Richard and his sister Karen, were one of the best-selling groups of the 1970s, topping the charts with hits such as Yesterday Once More and Top of the World.

Karen Carpenter died in 1983 of complications from anorexia, throwing a spotlight on the eating disorder.

"I will never overcome it, it's impossible,'' he said of his sister's death.

"But I soldier on.''

"Just writing these songs these past couple of years, I think of how happy she would be. Karen was my number one supporter,'' he said.

Carpenter said that he was hoping to find another singer to take the lead in his new songs.

"I like background work,'' Carpenter said.

"I am always seeking inspiration which is given to me.''

Artists in discussions to perform Carpenters songs on the tribute album include Asian stars along with Simon Le Bon of British pop group Duran Duran and Julian Lennon, the son of Beatle John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24503881-5012752,00.html

Sakura

Great news - here's another article on the same subject. This states a Christmas album AND a solo one...

Richard Carpenter planning comeback
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 7:26p.m.

Richard Carpenter, of the Carpenters, is almost ready to make a comeback. All he needs is a partner.

Carpenter, who along with his late sister Karen was one the most successful pop acts of the 1970s, announced in Tokyo on Wednesday that he is planning to get back into the music business, first by helping to produce and perform on a tribute album of Carpenter covers due out late next year, then on a Christmas album and finally a solo collection of largely original material.

Carpenter, who turned 62 Wednesday, said he still prefers singing duets and is looking for a female vocalist to partner with in his upcoming projects.

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/Enterta...tabid/418/articleID/75956/cat/55/Default.aspx

Thanks for the post!

The news reached to
CBS News, NY

The Press Association

Pulse 24, Canada with AP Photo

Wed Oct. 15 2008 10:04:41 AM

Singer Richard Carpenter planning comeback
The Canadian Press

320_CP24_carpenter_081015.jpg

Richard Carpenter, of the Carpenters, smiles as he speaks during a news conference at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan in Tokyo Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2008. (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye)

TOKYO -- Richard Carpenter, of the Carpenters, says he is ready to make a comeback.

All he needs is a partner.

Carpenter, who with his sister Karen was one the most successful pop acts of the 1970s, announced on his 62nd birthday Wednesday in Tokyo that he is planning to get back into the music business.

"It's a different business. Music is a different world from when Karen and I were signed by Herb Alpert in 1969," he said. "But I feel I have some talent."

He said he will help to produce and perform on a tribute album of Carpenter covers due out late next year, then on a Christmas album and finally a solo collection of largely original material.

The Carpenters' phenomenal rise to the top of the pop world, with such hits as `Close To You' and `Yesterday Once More,"' came to an abrupt end in 1983, when Karen died of a heart attack at age 32 following complications from an eating disorder.

Carpenter said he will never get over his sister's death, which he called the saddest moment of his life.

He said he still prefers singing duets and is looking for a female vocalist partner for his upcoming projects.

"I'm looking for someone who has her great talent but does not -- doesn't try to -- sound like Karen," he said. "I've been looking for years."

Carpenter said his work continues to be along the lines of the soft rock albums that he and his sister produced.

"There is always a market for a good song and a good melody," he said.
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/loca...015_carpenter/20081015/?hub=CP24Entertainment

Sakura

Richard Carpenter planning comeback

[photo]
Singer Richard Carpenter is almost ready to make a comeback

Singer Richard Carpenter, of the Carpenters, is almost ready to make a comeback.

All he needs is a partner.

Carpenter, who along with his late sister Karen, was one of the most successful pop acts of the 1970s, announced in Tokyo that he is planning to get back into the music business.

He will first help to produce and perform on a tribute album of Carpenter covers due out late next year, then work on a Christmas album before finally releasing a solo collection of largely original material.

Carpenter, who turned 62, said he still prefers singing duets and is looking for a female vocalist to partner with in his upcoming projects. [/size]
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5vGPu6wXLqSul1dt7Xu0orjM16w

photo : http://ukpress.google.com/media/ALeqM5gxxE4dLKf-6qf5GLRQOInCVA8xQw?size=s

Happy Birthday, Richard!
Cheers!

Sakura

Sakura & All,

Great news & announced / confirmed on Richard's 62nd Birthday .....:cool:

Having seen Richard perform various new songs over the last few years plus his ongoing production & solo project sessions ....definitely always a case of when ....Richard returns ....rather than if ..... :wink:

Richard's children are all growing up ....even youngest Taylor is 10 this coming December ....so more time can be focused on Richard's music & projects that will require more time away for promotion, radio & television plus long overdue concerts with other vocalists & orchestras .... :thumbsup:

Next few years could be Richard's best career wise .....plus new forms of music online & downloads will develop further .....

Happy Birthday Richard .....looking ahead to 2009 / 2010 .... :D

Peter UK

That's great news! He must have been reading A&M Corner....I've been wishing he'd look for a new singer for a long time. Not to replace Karen - that's impossible - but to allow him to continue to produce great music.

Here is yet another article forwarded to me by a friend in Canada. In this version he speaks of already having found a singer - an alto, but he didn't want anyone that sounds like Karen. Fair enough. I'll be curious to hear the end result. He created the Carpenters Sound and I'm wondering if he'll do background vocals, etc - if he does, unless he takes the music in a totally different direction, comparisons to Karen will be made and I hope it doesn't hurt the end result.

Carpenter finds his voice, 25 years after Karen
Peter Alford, Tokyo correspondent | October 16, 2008

IT'S taken time, but Richard Carpenter has found another alto singer and yesterday, on his 62nd birthday, the survivor of legendary 1970s pop duo the Carpenters relaunched his recording career.

The newfound singer, whom Carpenter declined to identify at this stage, will grace his Christmas album next year.

But he insists she is not meant to replace his sister Karen, whose death at the age of 32, 25 years ago, finally ended the on-off attempts to revive their formerly stellar career as the Carpenters.

"I don't want anyone who remotely sounds like Karen other than her being an alto and being able to sing," he said.

As with the Carpenters, he is the "behind the scenes guy": he does the composition, arrangement, music and background vocals, but no lead singing.

"So I've been looking for one who could inspire me, who would be able to cut these things; I've been looking for years, so now I think I'm ready to go." Following Karen's death in February 1983 of complications from her long struggle with anorexia nervosa, her brother finished one solo album in 1987.

The Carpenters, who produced 11 albums and 15 No1 hits including Close to You, We've Only Just Begun, Yesterday Once More and Top of the World, had hit the skids in the late 1970s.

Alongside Karen's mounting problems, Richard had sought treatment for sedative addiction.

These days, ruddy-featured and fit, looking and sounding like a cheerful veteran golf pro, Carpenter says he believes Karen, who was his best friend and musical supporter, would be happy he's writing songs again.

And she would have been happy that he was relaunching on his birthday in Japan, "the most loyal, the most supportive" market for Carpenters music.

"Once they like you here, they like you forever. Karen was, and I am, honoured," Carpenter said.

Backed by a Japanese team led by producer Naoki Tachikawa, Carpenter plans to produce and release in the second half of 2009 an album, Carpenters Around the World, covers of Carpenters songs mostly by Asian pop stars.

Next December he will release the Richard Carpenter Solo Christmas Album, featuring mostly his new songs, in a traditional pop vein, and his mystery alto singer.

Having spent the second part of his life with the family he and wife Mary Rudolph began in 1984 and tending to Carpenters legacy projects and the back catalogue, Richard Carpenter says he leads a happy life, needing only to work for enjoyment.

But he doesn't expect ever to fully overcome Karen's loss.

"I miss her in any number of ways and I've always been in awe of her talent but I soldier forth, you know.

"I have a terrific life and a lovely family and she would have loved to have seen the kids."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24502795-5013575,00.html

This is all very good news for all of us who have hoped for years that Richard will continue in his songwriting and producing the kind of music we delight in! So, he already has an alto singer in mind. May I venture to make a guess it's his daughter, Mindi? By the end of next year she will be finished with high school (?). If she has a mind to persue the music business, she has a great teacher in her dad. Can you imagine how much Karen would have loved to see this happening?

Happy birthday, Richard, and many more. You've made this one an exceptional one for us!

Marilyn
who's letting her imagination run wild!

PS Many thanks to Sakura for all this info!

Half of me wants to say AWESOME- and I think the mystery singer is Mindi- and the other half says "I'll believe it when I see it."

The amount of performances he's been doing with Mindi lately makes me wonder, too... maybe he's ready to record with her? Who knows! I haven't heard her in a long time now. I hope someone is able to record even just a clip at one of these upcoming charity performances.

Randy

"I am pleased to choose to relaunch The Carpenters in Japan,'' he said. "

Well, if it is Mindi, it's still the Carpenters...

I can't imagine him still calling it "the Carpenters" if it's him and some other non-Carpenter singer! Unless he's talking about the name as it applies to the past work and the tribute album, as opposed to the new original works to come.

There are alot of questions in the air but this is good news to see him back in the music business. I'm actually quite suprised to read and see all this, I always thought he retired from the music business at this point.

After reading all these articles, I don't get the impression that it's Mindi but I could be wrong.

This statement above:
"So I've been looking for one who could inspire me, who would be able to cut these things; I've been looking for years, so now I think I'm ready to go."

That makes me feel that he is finally cutting ties with everything Carpenters. He has found someone to work with and this will mark the end of Carpenters and the start of his new career with this new artist. That is what I am getting from the articles.

thestitch said:
PS Many thanks to Sakura for all this info!
You are welcome, Marilyn!

I just find a blog. Someone attended the video taping another BS2 program. According to the blog;

Richard played the piano.
His daughter sang with Richard's piano.
Richard sang at piano.

"Duo is only with Karen. Not duo with Mindi."

The program will air on December 27.

SakuraSYayoi said:
Richard is also at
( AFP )
Splash News
and Getty.
Checked the photo sites?

http://www.gettyimages.com/Home.aspx
Type Richard Carpenter in search box.
If you click the photo, larger one with water-mark will appear in another window.

Sakura

I bought some newspapers. Two of them have Richard's photo, another without his photo, only article.

I checked early morning shows, but I couldn't find Richard's clip.

Someone wrote in BBS that she/he saw Richard's clip at afternoon entertainment info yesterday(15th).

Sakura

I'd love to hear a Carps tribute with Karen's friends- Olivia, Dionne, etc.
The Asian artists thing is cool, too. I hope some of this stuff is Rchard solo on vocals as well. These days, I'd probably take anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom