• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Press Conference in Tokyo Oct. 15, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are all looking too old. If Richard is going to mean anything in 2009, he has to go with someone young as a partner. Radio won't play anyone over 50.

I would love to have him work with Frida of ABBA. She has a lovely and unique low-ish voice. Agnetha of ABBA also would be nice - love her clear and clean vocal sound.

Kirsty Starling or Jane Krakowski (of Ally McBeal/30 Rock fame) would be a good choice too - the latter sang Jim Brickman's "You" beautifully. It would also be nice to see him work with singers who mentioned they admired the Carpenters - Shania Twain, k d lang, Gloria Estefan come to mind. Plus I would love to see him work with some CCM artistes like Sandi Patty (have you heard her funny tribute to Karen and Barbra Streisand on her live album?), Amy Grant, Debby Boone, Kathy Trocolli and Christine Dente.

Moving in a different direction, it would be interesting to see what he can come up with together with AI alumni like Melinda Doolittle, Katharine McPhee...or if a guy, definitely David Archuleta!

So many artistes, so little "Time"....

Well at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who does the vocals on the tribute album because if they sound too much like Karen, they'll get criticized for trying to copy her; and if they sound too much unlike Karen or the arrangement is too different, they'll get criticized for ruining a classic song. So anyone who participates is walking a very fine line.

Mike Blakesley said:
Well at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who does the vocals on the tribute album because if they sound too much like Karen, they'll get criticized for trying to copy her; and if they sound too much unlike Karen or the arrangement is too different, they'll get criticized for ruining a classic song. So anyone who participates is walking a very fine line.

I really don't think Richard would try to emulate the Carpenters sound too closely. He said so several times, including when he was interviewed in Singapore in Oct 1983, when he came here to promote VOTH (See below). But of course, he might have changed his mind since then. In any case, IMHO, I am sure he will do whatever he feels is true to his heart - an artiste of his caliber would not be too concerned with what critics feel about a project which is obviously very dear to him personally.

[Extract From the Straits Times, Singapore, 25 Oct 1983]

...But one thing he is definite about - he will not concentrate on lead singing or cut a solo album trying to sound like the carpenters.

Nor will he try to team up with someone else and emulate the Carpenters of old.

“Karen had an absolutely wonderful voice. I could work with someone and try to sound close to her, but it would never be the same.
“If I did decide to work with another woman singer, it would be a different sound,” he figures.

“Karen had an absolutely wonderful voice. I could work with someone and try to sound close to her, but it would never be the same.
“If I did decide to work with another woman singer, it would be a different sound,” he figures.

Good.

Calvin R Murty said:
Mike Blakesley said:

I really don't think Richard would try to emulate the Carpenters sound too closely. He said so several times, including when he was interviewed in Singapore in Oct 1983, when he came here to promote VOTH (See below). But of course, he might have changed his mind since then. In any case, IMHO, I am sure he will do whatever he feels is true to his heart - an artiste of his caliber would not be too concerned with what critics feel about a project which is obviously very dear to him personally.

[Extract From the Straits Times, Singapore, 25 Oct 1983]

...But one thing he is definite about - he will not concentrate on lead singing or cut a solo album trying to sound like the carpenters.

Nor will he try to team up with someone else and emulate the Carpenters of old.

It would be hard to emulate. I think the closest to her voice and distinctive sound would be someone like Andy Connell & Corrine Drewry.

I still don't really understand it all, why after all this time has Richard decided to get back into the business? Does this mean band members from prior Carpenters will be joining Richard, Tony Peluso? etc.. Will this mean that Richard is teaming again with writer John Bettis? Is Richard looking to break into the top 40 radio sound? He has said music is not what it use to be and I really agree with him, music has changed so much since he and Karen were in the business. Since he says he's looking for a partner, this is going to be a duo act, he has to be prepared for critics to compare whatever he does to prior Carpenters with Karen. He doesn't want it but critics are still going to compare.

I'd also like to say that I will support Richard in whoever he chooses and will be there to buy his next release. I'd also like to mention that Richard has not really kept the fans up to date on his official site of Carpenters, even the news page could have let us know what he is thinking or just plain kept us up to date every 6 months or so but it just never gets updated. The fans have basically been kept in the dark, the fans ask Q/A seemed to stop completely. I'm assuming he has wanted to release this info only to Japan and not America. I wonder too if he is teaming with a Japanese artist?

Just so many questions. I guess it will all be answered late next year. Exciting news but so many questions.

Found another article:
http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=11569

Richard Carpenter Hearts Japan
Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 11:07AM

Richard Carpenter came to Tokyo the week of October 13 to take part in a special live TV program about The Carpenters, a group that enjoys a large and dedicated following in Japan.
The pianist-composer and his daughter performed Carpenters songs as various guests discussed the group's impact in the studio and then counted down their most popular songs based on a viewer survey.
On Richard Carpenter's 62nd birthday October 16, he held a press conference at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan and announced that he would be restarting the group.
"I am pleased to choose to relaunch The Carpenters in Japan," he said to the reporters. "Japanese people have always been loyal. They're not big on something that's like a flavor of the week sound. Once they like you, they like you.'
The Carpenters first toured Japan in 1970, and Carpenter said it was probably the first country where he realized he and his sister Karen, who died in 1983 of complications from anorexia, were popular outside the United States.
Even after Karen's death, The Carpenters remained superstars in Japan. Their songs have even been printed in English-language textbooks.
Carpenter said he plans to release an album of new Carpenters covers toward the end of next year along with a special solo Christmas album of new material.
Both records will be aimed at the Japanese market. He will also do a tour of Japan in 2010, his first since 1997. - Philip Brasor

Here is another I didn't see posted here. This one has nice photos. What does that mean re-release of Carpenters Christmas album?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...pays-emotional-tribute-late-sister-Karen.html

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:21 PM on 15th October 2008

Legendary pop star Richard Capenter, 62, is planning a comeback.
The musician best known as one-half of '70s group The Carpenters spent his birthday in Japan today where he is attempting to revive his career after years away from the spotlight.

He said: 'Our first big success here was Superstar in 1971. Ever since then, once they like you they like you, I'm honoured.'
His career comeback - dubbed 'Richard Carpenter Strikes Back - includes the re-release of a Carpenters Christmas album and a tribute album featuring cover versions of Carpenters songs.
Carpenter unveiled his plans for the first time at a luncheon for The Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan accompanied by his daughter Mindy.

'The worst thing in my life was losing my sister,' Carpenter said, adding: 'Karen was my number one supporter.'
Karen Carpenter suffered from complications relating to anorexia nervosa at the age of 32, in 1983.
Carpenter said he is ready to make a comeback but feels music has changed.

'It's a different business. Music is a different world from when Karen and I were signed by Herb Alpert in 1969,' he said. 'But I feel I have some talent.'
Carpenter said he would help to produce and perform on a tribute album of Carpenter covers due out late next year, then on the Christmas album and finally a solo collection of largely original material.

article-1077848-021DC34D000005DC-470_233x351.jpg

I read the articles when they were posted. Daily Mail has Karen's photo with Richard!

I read too many articles and felt they played message game. lol

Both records will be aimed at the Japanese market.
I felt this odd. If the writer meant that only to Japanese market, why did they invite foreign reporters? The producer mentioned the project is for worldwide. Why did he name the album "Carpenters Around the World"?

includes the re-release of a Carpenters Christmas album
I don't know if including the re-release of a Carpenters Christmas album or not. In Japan Christmas Collection was released again in November last year, and 2 Christmas albums were to be released as SHM-CD's. When Richard released his solo album, compilations were released again. So if Richard will release new Christmas album, they must release Christmas albums again.

I may ought to post what the producer mentioned.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom