• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

I have listened to the first 2 tracks, some quick notes "Ticket to Ride" mono kinda sounds all over the place but the same goes for the mono 45 so no real surprise here, I've listen through several times and I think I hear a few vinyl pops one being at 1:12 that I don't hear on my 45 mono. However I may need to listen through some more to make sure that's what I'm hearing.

Your Wonderful Parade mono sounds really much better here, so glad to have this on CD, they did a much better job on this one. I have 2 45's of this shortened version, one on a white label promo mono and the other on the ochre regular single 45 release and it's so nice to have this without any surface noise or pops and ticks. I'm really impressed with this one. Also something I noticed, Your Wonderful Parade from The Complete Singles starts off right into Richard's speaking "Ladies" while the (2) 45's I have start 4 seconds in with audience sound (clatter) they omitted this on The Complete Singles, it just goes right into Richard speaking and leaves off those first 4 seconds or so. If you listen very closely to the word "Ladies" Richard says it slightly faster on this alternate take while the album version he holds the word out a tad bit longer, that's an easy indication this is an alternate vocal take, aside from the fact that's it's edited/shortened.

Mine arrived today as well. Is it me, or are Richard’s background vocals different on the B-side version of “I Kept On Loving You?”
[QUOTE=" If you listen very closely to the word "Ladies" Richard says it slightly faster on this alternate take while the album version he holds the word out a tad bit longer, that's an easy indication this is an alternate vocal take, aside from the fact that's it's edited/shortened.[/QUOTE]

Also his inflection when he says, “mind behind..."

Your Wonderful Parade mono sounds really much better here, so glad to have this on CD, they did a much better job on this one. I have 2 45's of this shortened version, one on a white label promo mono and the other on the ochre regular single 45 release and it's so nice to have this without any surface noise or pops and ticks.

Rick, if and when you get some time, I'd appreciate it if you could read any matrix numbers that appear in the runout grooves of those two. Maybe scans of the labels would be nice too. I've got the single with the longer version of "Your Wonderful Parade" and would like to compare it to what you have and see if we can figure out this anomaly.

Harry

I ended up finally getting disc 1 imported into iTunes last night so I could listen to this on my lunch hour. I'm up to Hurting Each Other now and so far I've been really impressed with the sound quality. It's like joining technology in 2015 to the original singles mixes from the early 70's (songs I'm up to so far) there's something special about that. There is no reverb or echo yet they sound so crisp and clear. On my way to work I was listening to Close To You and it really sounded like something they would have played on the radio. It was just the original sound without any reverb, echo or loudness just so pleasant to hear them like this sorta untouched if you will.

Must Hear This Album, I thought the same thing about I Kept On Loving You at first but yeah it's the same vocals. This has always been one my my favorite Richard vocals and it sounds great here.

Harry, yes I can do this tonight.

NP Goodbye To Love....

The video for "For All We Know" is from THE ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW in 1971 and appears to be the only "new" video here. The same video (with TV audience applause) is here on YouTube:
Harry

Great detective work, Harry! I knew I had seen it before, but couldn't find in on Gold or Interpretations. It's actually on disc 8 of The Best of The Andy Williams Show box set I have. So, it was previously released on DVD as well. :cry:

And watching it again, I correct my previous comment regarding this "For All We Know" video and the "Reason To Believe" video from Interpretations. Karen IS wearing the same outfit in both clips, but the sets are totally different. It is interesting that she would have repeated an outfit on two different shows, but people probably weren't as worried about that stuff back then. Since both were NBC shows, I originally thought maybe they were shot on the same day, but The Andy Williams Show episode aired February 13, 1971 and the Make Your Own Kind Of Music episode aired September 7, 1971, so that's probably unlikely. Perhaps it was one of her regular stage costumes.

On a related note, the duet between Andy Williams and Karen ("Ticket To Ride/I'll Never Fall In Love Again") from that same episode (which you can see on YouTube) is not included on The Andy Williams Show DVD. For some strange reason, that number was edited out. However, it does contain a comedy sketch with Karen, Jonathan Winters and Ozzie & Harriet Nelson!!

So, knowing now that I already had all of the "exclusive" bonus material (other than the Petula stuff), I would probably not have purchased the DVD either. Bright side, the cover art is nicer and at least a portion of it is tax deductible. LOL!! However, I have to say that I am completely over the moon about the CDs. It's an absolutely awesome set!! I've listened to the first disc a couple of times through already and am REALLY enjoying it. After being so used to Richard's remixes and tweaks over the years, it has been really fun and interesting to hear the original single mixes (many of which I'd never heard before). Gonna start spinning disc two tomorrow!

Also, I'm sure it was totally coincidental, but I thought it was interesting how the first disc covers the exact same time period/songs as The Singles: 1969-1973.

Harry,

The ochre label has this run in:
∆78673-X
going around the run in it also says A&M 1882-15
going around farther shows a circle with MR inside

The WLP only has this run in:
A&M 1882-17
going around the run in also shows a circle with MR inside

Your%20Wonderful%20Parade%20Ochre%2045.jpg~original

Your%20Wonderful%20Parade%20WLP%2045.jpg~original

I noticed tonight looking at the inner booklet along with the track name and usual credits with running time that if the single charted they have also listed what # the song charted for both the pop and adult contemporary charts along with the year.
For instance, Solitaire says Pop#17, AC #1 (1975)
I thought this was a nice added touch to the booklet.

There is also a 5 page write up inside by Joe Marchese with quite a few photos as well.

I'm liking it so far... I'm about halfway thru the first disk. It plays like an album, where you didn't hear just the hits but there were "album cuts" mixed in as well. I expect this might get more repeat plays from me than the typical Carpenters compilation.

I was surprised that "Mr. Guder" faded as quickly as it did!

In listening to this, I realized it's been quite some time since I listened to the Carpenters at top volume for an extended period - so this will be double the fun.

The ochre label has this run in:
∆78673-X
going around the run in it also says A&M 1882-15
going around farther shows a circle with MR inside

The WLP only has this run in:
A&M 1882-17
going around the run in also shows a circle with MR inside

Rick, are you sure about this? My copy is ochre label with:
A&M 1881-18 circle MR ∆78673

Note the discrepancy here: Yours says 1882, mine says 1881.

1882 is the number on the label for the supposed A-side, "Ticket To Ride". 1881 is the number on the label for the supposed B-side. I've mentioned this before, that I thought it odd that the B-side has the lower matrix number. On every single release I've ever seen on every label including A&M, the A-side, plug side, hit side always has the lower matrix number.

That would tend to make one think that the single was pressed with the idea of "Your Wonderful Parade" being the A-side and "Ticket To Ride" being the B-side. And the plot thickens: On my copy, the "Ticket To Ride" matrix numbers in the runoff grooves are A&M 1882-15 circle MR ∆78673. But the "2" in "1882" is actually scratched over top of a "1". It said 1881 originally and the 1 was changed to a 2.

Circle MR indicates a Monarch pressing. Both of our singles are Monarch pressings. Yours has an X after it. Mine does not.

Fascinating.

Harry

I was surprised that "Mr. Guder" faded as quickly as it did!

I'm glad you mentioned this because I was going to say that as well....in fact if you were to hear this song for the very first time and this edited version fade out was what you heard....to me it's a really nice fade out and one would never think there might have been more to the track. I remember hearing this on my 45 and thinking wait were is the rest of the song. lol

Oh, and my ochre label looks exactly like yours (except it's bumpy). Note that yours (and mine), both have timings printed of 2:45. In actuality, the timing of the short version is at best 2:36 (with the extended people noise in the front), and the timing of my longer version comes in at 2:55. Neither are 2:45!

Harry

Yes Harry, I just doubled checked again for my ochre label

Your Wonderful Parade side run in shows
∆78673-X
A&M 1882-15
circle with MR inside

On the other side is Ticket To Ride and this run in says
∆78673 (there is no X)
A&M 1881-15
circle with MR inside

I can scan you the Ticket to Ride ochre label if you would like but might have to wait till tomorrow night, let me know if your interested in that. What do you make of all this?

What's also weired with those labels is that the album that Your Wonderful Parade is from isn't named Both labels only say "From The A&M Album SP-4205". Like that is going to tell the listener or the DJ what album to promote.

Dumb question, probably, but can someone help me understand why “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” is included in this U.S. Singles Collection? When was it a U.S. single? Or was it like “Honolulu City Lights” and released years after it was recorded?

Also, can anybody shed some light for me as to why “Honolulu City Lights” was ever released as a single (thrilled that it was, but I can’t think of a song in their catalogue with less commercial appeal, especially at the time of its release)? I remember hearing it on the radio around the time it was released and thinking, “Hey! That’s Karen Carpenter...and I’ve never heard this song before.” I called the radio station, and the DJ gave me the name of the song, and I had to special order it at the local record store. The outer sleeve was the pink, A&M “Memories” series. Thanks for any information.

Also, can anybody shed some light for me as to why “Honolulu City Lights” was ever released as a single (thrilled that it was, but I can’t think of a song in their catalogue with less commercial appeal, especially at the time of its release)? I remember hearing it on the radio around the time it was released and thinking, “Hey! That’s Karen Carpenter...and I’ve never heard this song before.” I called the radio station, and the DJ gave me the name of the song, and I had to special order it at the local record store.

I had a similar experience except I heard it on a out-of-town sleepy automated easy listening station while in a car dealer and playing with the radio choices display. Since the station was automated, I couldn't really call anyone and I was so shocked to hear it that I wasn't making any sense of the lyrics. All my brain could grab hold of was "...on a loo, loo city lights" which made no sense at all. This would have been in 1986 and I never heard it again on radio anywhere.

The recording was resurrected by Richard for the Japanese ANTHOLOGY record in 1985, so I suppose, in the aftermath of her passing, it was considered a good idea to throw it out there as a single. I also suppose the "Memories" label was chosen since it wasn't designed to zoom up any charts, but rather to evoke a memory of the late Karen Carpenter.

I never reconnected with the song until LOVELINES came out.

Harry

What do you make of all this?

Frankly, I'm confused. With matrix numbers like 1882-15 or 17, I always thought that the 15 or 17 was the actual stamper number, and that they usually started with 1. A 15 or a 17, to me understanding, would indicate a somewhat later run, but that doesn't make sense in this context either, since this record didn't exactly burn up the charts.

Why yours would have a 1882 and mine a 1881 matrix is the real puzzler. As I said, the 1881 being the lower of the two would indicate an A-side, meaning that at some point in time, someone thought "Your Wonderful Parade" was the A-side. Whether that was a mistake at the record plant or the record company, I can't say. Then there's the matter of the "X" in the Delta number. I would think that an "X" appended to a number would indicate a later item, yet this appears on your short version of the record. If my theory is true, then the "Your Wonderful Parade" song was shortened later. But that doesn't make any sense either since your short version appears on the B-side of the white label promo and what should be the earliest pressing.

Very, very strange.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom