Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

From Exit 7A or 100B here....Bradley Beach, Ocean Grove, Asbury Park....now in Pittsburgh though

Hi all. I received the CD's last Thursday 10/22. I did not order the DVD's. Living in New York, I am pretty close to Warminster which would account for an early delivery. A much anticipated collection, and I was not disappointed, you all are in for real treat. Chas

TJL, I have a question that I think I partially know the answer to. Why does your "Treasury Collection" logo feature the image of TV's DARK SHADOWS Collinwood mansion?

TreasuryCollection.jpg

Collinwood.jpg

The answer I believe has to do with MPI, the company through which DARK SHADOWS has been released on home video, and the same company that releases CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS.

As a lifelong fan of both Carpenters *and* DARK SHADOWS, I find this fascinating.

Harry

Our logo is a nod to me also being a lifelong Dark Shadows fan (Grayson Hall being one my favorite all time actresses) and classic Doctor Who fan here (Tom Baker my favorite actor, Howard Da Silva being my favorite character actor) - - no direct logo correlation or logo connection to our friends at MPI - just a happy coincidence. But the old "Sea View Terrace" exterior (since parts of it first stood in Washington DC before being moved to Newport, RI ) has always had a special personal architectural inspiration for me - I just loved that kind of English/French style of architecture which I consider a treasure.

Of course another great connection inspired by DS was meeting my fellow collaborator - - Jim Pierson. Jim is a great friend, confidant and series producer of our MY MUSIC series, Jim - - who is the man responsible for so many things DS, and instrumental in all of our MY MUSIC offerings - - especially this Carpenters set which could not have happened without Jim's perseverance, dedication and passion (that we share) for the music of The Carpenters. We met each other many years ago before the days of VHS. DS connected us as fans of the series, and later professionally - - way back when it used to be syndicated to some local public television stations in the 80s.

As they say, like attracts like.....like all here who so love The Carpenters...and here we all are.

Gonna be an expensive December, between this, Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" box set, and Springsteen's "The River" package. Also a good month for reliving 1970s best. Thanks for all the additional details on the Carpenter PBS package. Seeing that it was a quality endeavor is making the difference for me.

Well unlike UPS or Fed Ex which scans a package and updates tracking every time it changes vehicles or facilities, USPS only scans it when it starts moving and when it arrives. That is, unless you are getting the high priced "overnight" service (which sometimes takes up to 3 days). And they wonder why they're struggling.

A quick observation on the booklet. It's missing artwork for some of the picture sleeves: "Rainy Days and Mondays", "Hurting Each Other", "I Won't Last A Day Without You", "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song", "Sweet, Sweet Smile" and "BEechwood 4-5789" (although that one is virtually identical to "Touch Me...").

A quick observation on the booklet. It's missing artwork for some of the picture sleeves: "Rainy Days and Mondays", "Hurting Each Other", "I Won't Last A Day Without You", "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song", "Sweet, Sweet Smile" and "BEechwood 4-5789" (although that one is virtually identical to "Touch Me...").

That's unfortunate they couldn't at least get photos of all the US picture sleeves in a fold out booklet, how hard could that have been? They could have asked any of us who have collected all the sleeves to scan them if they didn't have them. They could have even did what the Japanese did for the Single Box Set and include them all on a one sheet fold it up inside the inner booklet. I'm afraid the Japan fans have us beat with details and artwork.

I did receive an envelope from KQED in the mail today just re-affirming the set shipped and can take up to 8 weeks....I guess it won't be long....I feel like a kid at Christmas...when is it going to get here. :laugh:

Okay, I just finished watching the DVD. Here is a quick rundown of what I found. (I didn't do a thorough, side-by-side so feel free to correct me on anything I may have missed. This was just a "once through" so there could be some subtleties I didn't catch.)

The main program: Other than a short intro from our friend TJL, I didn't notice anything different from the previous edition (except for a PBS station identification intro following one of the commercial breaks.)

The main bonus material is identical to the previous DVD version (commercials, jingles, White House appearance, etc.) except there is no Photo Gallery or Discography feature.

The promised "extra" bonus material ("full length performances") are mostly videos from Yesterday Once More/Gold and Interpretations.

"(They Long to Be) Close To You" from Interpretations
"We've Only Just Begun" from Interpretations
"Rainy Days and Mondays" from Gold
"Superstar" from Gold
"Top of the World" from Gold

The version of "For All We Know" appears to be "new." It looks to be from the same appearance as "Reason To Believe" (from Interpretations) as Karen is wearing the same outfit and on the same set. (Was this from Make Your Own Kind of Music?)

Also, there is additional footage from Petula Clark's interview as well as the full length version of Petula's live performance of "For All We Know" from February 1983 that she dedicated to Karen.

Also, there is additional footage from Petula Clark's interview as well as the full length version of Petula's live performance of "For All We Know" from February 1983 that she dedicated to Karen.

That's a nice surprise! I don't think that's even available on the internet to view.

My CD's and DVD arrived!!
Mine too. Listening to disc 1. So far sounds good. One thing I seem to notice, is it my imagination? The sound is maybe a little warmer compared to the remastered albums, and the drums feel more present to my ears. Anyone else?

One of the bonus tracks is Yesterday Once More, which includes a photo slide show - not sure if it's the same one from the other DVD.

One of the bonus tracks is Yesterday Once More, which includes a photo slide show - not sure if it's the same one from the other DVD.

Good catch. I just checked and that is the "Photo Gallery" from the previous release, so I guess it is there after all. Not sure how I missed that. So, that makes the Discography the only feature that wasn't carried over.

I got the DVD earlier in the week but didn't post anything about it. I only scanned it quickly and was somewhat disappointed that it was so similar to the earlier one. Had I known in advance that it's so similar to the first DVD, I wouldn't have gotten it and would have been satisfied with just the COMPLETE SINGLES CD. I also thought I'd give a chance for others to relay the information.

Harry

The promised "extra" bonus material ("full length performances") are mostly videos from Yesterday Once More/Gold and Interpretations.

"(They Long to Be) Close To You" from Interpretations
"We've Only Just Begun" from Interpretations
"Rainy Days and Mondays" from Gold
"Superstar" from Gold
"Top of the World" from Gold

The version of "For All We Know" appears to be "new." It looks to be from the same appearance as "Reason To Believe" (from Interpretations) as Karen is wearing the same outfit and on the same set. (Was this from Make Your Own Kind of Music?)

I just went back to see TJL's notes on page 2 and he says there are 6 extra full length videos not previously shown on the original. So the 6 Actorman listed must be the ones. I'm kinda disappointed since the fans really already have this from the official DVD's. I was hoping for the full length of Merry Christmas Darling, man will we ever get that full length video?? Crying...

The video for "For All We Know" is from THE ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW in 1971 and appears to be the only "new" video here. The same video (with TV audience applause) is here on YouTube:

Harry

Like Harry, I am really enjoying listening to the single mixes! Even though I have the incredible Japanese set, I have yet to listen to them. I also haven't listened to the vinyl singles in about 20 years , and was very suprised to hear the abbreviated Richard intro on Your Wonderful Parade, and the all too soon fade out on Mr. Guder. It's fun listening and comparing...

I'm a little emotional at the moment and just a bit teary eyed...it's in my hands...still sealed...I still miss Karen after all these years!!

Carpenters%20Pkg%20KQED%20Nov%202%202015.jpg~original

The 3 CD set and Christmas CD were both sealed and then sealed again as a group. I have opened the CD but not listened yet. I put the CD into my iTunes library and of course gracenotes or whoever Apple uses does not recognize the CD name or titles....so I will need to enter all the information manually...that's a lot of work so this may take me a couple nights.

First impressions, I'm really impressed with the artwork on the CD's, nice showing the different logos for each CD.
Actorman is right, the inner booklet is missing quite a few picture sleeves for the singles. My OCD is kicking in....it's not really complete, if your going to show most of them why not show all of them? Perhaps TJL can provide some feedback why all the single picture sleeves were not displayed in the inner booklet.

It's nice to see an alternate photo of the Made in America sessions, it's similar to the cover on my piano book but not the same, Richard in burgundy shirt and Karen in burgundy pants and she has either purple or gray boots but this one they are sitting side by side and look so relaxed and comfortable. I really like this one.

One other quick note that I noticed...the single for "Because We Are In Love" is not listed as (The Wedding Song) on either the disc or the liner notes or the back cover. I actually have this US Single of Touch Me When Were Dancing b/w Because We Are In Love, however the US single displays it as Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song) on the picture sleeve and the inner 45 label. I thought it was interesting that they left this off on this set. I can't think of any other CD release where they did not use the full name of this track.

I have some listening to do.....

Back
Top Bottom