• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

THE COMPLETE SINGLES arrived today. Here are some quick and dirty pictures of the fatboy case in which it's housed:
IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1948.JPG IMG_1949.JPG IMG_1950.JPG

A note in VERY TINY print on the back cover says:

All tracks have been sourced from the original single version master tapes with the exception
of Ticket To Ride and Your Wonderful Parade, which have been digitally remastered from vinyl.

In my listening so far, all is as has been expected. I'm heading for the third disc now and working on the Resource.

Harry

OMG!! That looks absolutely fantastic!! I'm on vacation right now, but hopefully my copy is waiting for me when I get home.
They really hit it out of the park with the disc art. That is exactly how I would have done it!! (I made a post a few years back about the A&M 50th Anniversary Collection suggesting that same concept.) And the additional tray art with the stock paper sleeve art just takes it to the next level. I love the amount of thought and care that went into the packaging!

I can't wait to hold my copy in my hand. I haven't even heard it yet, and it's already worth every penny!!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting these pics, Harry!!

Very nice! I like that they've "archived" the various types of plain-Jane single sleeves. (non-picture sleeves). i'm surprised Harry got his before me, since he's in Florida but I'll bet mine shows up tomorrow or the next day. "The wilds" of eastern Montana are a little more remote than the metropolitan area he lives in!

And I think I've just uncovered something fairly unique. On "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)", the album version of the song has two synth stabs at around :50, simultaneous with the words "it isn't..." When Richard remixed the song in 1985, he eliminated those two synth stabs. Most CDs have used one or the other of those versions.

I'd already noted that the mono promo single had the synth stabs, but was sped up. Well, here, on THE COMPLETE SINGLES, we also have the sped-up version and from what I can tell, the synth stabs have been minimized somehow.

Harry

Thanks for the pictures, Harry! It sure does look like an awesome set, and very tastefully done. Can't wait until mine arrives!

Thank you all for your patience and support. Please tune-in to your local public tv station on December 5th (check local listings). This project was made possible by fans for fans from TJL/My Music.

- TJ Lubinsky

One of the first tracks that was jumped on as we all began to receive our JAPANESE SINGLE BOX sets was of course "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town." The level of excitement at finally getting THAT track on any kind of CD constituted a major event in Carpenters-fandom. The record had languished as a 45-single-only for years. It was overlooked for CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT and when it finally made it to AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS, Richard had augmented it, sweetened it, and had parts re-recorded. Disappointing to fans, to say the least.

Then it was announced to be on the JAPANESE SINGLE BOX and many of us eagerly spun it early as we made our way through the set. Joy turned to a bit of disappointment when reports came out that many could hear vinyl noise in the track, so it became believed that at least this one track was mastered from vinyl.

Now the recording is appearing on the new CARPENTERS-THE COMPLETE SINGLES too and with something to compare it to, here are some results:

- first off, it must be noted that many of the 45s of this song had HAECO-CSG applied. None is heard here or on the JAPANESE BOX SET.
- comparing the two tracks as wave forms, it appears that the new COMPLETE has the better dynamics.
- on JAPANESE, Karen's vocal is tilted a little to the right. On COMPLETE, it's properly centered.
- when you do the OOPS test on the two tracks, JAPANESE reveals much more grit and crackle sounds than does the nice-and-smooth COMPLETE version.

Good stuff!

Harry

We've got a couple messages from Richard in the national breaks, many times local stations will do their own local breaks.

I have not received the DVD yet, nor an indication of shipping.
I just got my shipping notice and the DVD is included on the same notice as the CD set. Might want to check your shipping notice again and if it's not there, send them an email. I wonder if anyone else has just gotten the CDs but not the DVD?

By the way they are shipping from Pennsylvania which explains the longer travel time to the west parts of the country.

Even I would jump on the Singles set if it were available on its own, but I don't watch video and have no use for the holiday CD. Wish they'd offer a donation level with only the Singles set.

I've gotten the shipping notice for the DVD. It came later yesterday, so I would expect it Monday. Ironically, the place that these premiums are shipping from is a place I lived for a couple of years - Warminster, PA. And it's just a stone's throw from where we ultimately lived for many years, Montgomeryville, PA.

Harry

I've gotten the shipping notice for the DVD. It came later yesterday, so I would expect it Monday. Ironically, the place that these premiums are shipping from is a place I lived for a couple of years - Warminster, PA. And it's just a stone's throw from where we ultimately lived for many years, Montgomeryville, PA.

Harry

Did they ship it regular USPS or UPS? I ask because I haven't had the best luck with UPS. Also I see that it's now back up on KQED. Do you know if the premium amount will be the same for all PBS stations or is it up to the individual stations? I probably should just order it from KQED and then I'll get it sooner.

Harry

Do you know if the $120.00 pledge price will be the same for all PBS stations when the show airs in December? If there is a chance it could be more money then I better make my pledge to WQED now. I would rather make a pledge to my local station if the cost is the same.

Thanks

Scott

Listening to Reader's digest set in anticipation. Looking forward with anticipation to Complete Singles, etc. sounds like it will be great! Plus, B sides! And I just bought a doc about West Berlin entitled B Movie. B Movie, B Side? History life.

Back
Top Bottom