• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

I don't watch PBS (or any TV, for that matter) anymore, so I have no clue. :shrug: Reminds me, though, I need to fix the antennas in case one of the Wolverines games is on ABC, or the Red Wings make the playoffs this year. Beyond that, I can't be bothered.

Though I got my shipping email back on Friday, the DVD has yet to arrive. Last I checked in tracking it had arrived in Orlando.

Harry

THE COMPLETE SINGLES arrived today. Here are some quick and dirty pictures of the fatboy case in which it's housed:
IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1948.JPG IMG_1949.JPG IMG_1950.JPG

A note in VERY TINY print on the back cover says:

All tracks have been sourced from the original single version master tapes with the exception
of Ticket To Ride and Your Wonderful Parade, which have been digitally remastered from vinyl.

In my listening so far, all is as has been expected. I'm heading for the third disc now and working on the Resource.

Harry

Wow, thanks Harry for the sneaky peek into this set, I really like how they designed the 3 picture Cd's we have never had that in a smaller set like this and it really fits into the whole singles collection. It's hard not to compare it to the Japan Single Box as the artwork may seem to have fallen a bit short but we all know that the Japanese really go out with all the little details and make their collections spectacular. I guess it's understandable though with this set being a PBS special release and pledge gift. I really don't think the general public would be looking for detail such as the Japan Single Box Set.

So you must have ordered the CD separately, in order to have received it already? I placed my order about when everyone else did here and I got the usual emails like everyone that it's been delayed but then last Friday I got an email from KQED that my order has shipped from Warminster, PA and it clearly says, the DVD, 3 CD Set and the Christmas CD so I assume it will be all in one package. It did not come today but so maybe tomorrow. I'm super excited.

I would have loved for detailed artwork for each single like the Japan Single Box but I'm happy to at least get this since I never dreamed Richard was working on getting this set out and it appears this might be the only U.S. Single Box Set issued for the U.S. fans. Hey and we thought Richard was all done. Ha. I'll take what I can get and obviously pay big bucks for it. As my signature says...Yes, I do love some Carpenters.

Rick
(Chris Has Exited)

Yes Rick, I started this whole process ordering only the 3 CD plus Christmas package.

After you guys prompted TJL to reveal that the DVD was expanded, I had to contact the KQED people to up my pledge to the whole shebang level.

When I started getting emails about delays, I'd get one for the CDs and one for the DVD.

I continue getting separate packages.

Harry

So how does this Christmas CD look, I know you haven't opened it or listened but does the cover art front and back show this is the Special Edition? Any differentiated markings on the back CD jewel case?

Rick
(Chris Has Exited)

And I think I've just uncovered something fairly unique. On "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)", the album version of the song has two synth stabs at around :50, simultaneous with the words "it isn't..." When Richard remixed the song in 1985, he eliminated those two synth stabs. Most CDs have used one or the other of those versions.

I'd already noted that the mono promo single had the synth stabs, but was sped up. Well, here, on THE COMPLETE SINGLES, we also have the sped-up version and from what I can tell, the synth stabs have been minimized somehow.

Harry

I just went through my entire iTunes library and listened for this synth stabs and I hear what your talking about. To be honest, I never really like the sped up version of "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)" it sounds like Karen is on overload or rushing almost like how some of the live material is when there singing so fast. I much prefer the slower version which to me sounds so much better, however since this is a Single Collection it's understandable, interesting how the synth stab would be minimized (meaning Richard must have wanted to tweak this.)

It's also interesting how they used the cover art for Don't Cry For Me Argentina....was that cover art really issued in the U.S. for this single? I have the single but it's the memories label and mine didn't come with a artwork sleeve.

Rick
(Chris Has Exited)

Almost forgot about it. It's a standard SE. Nothing different, but I have not opened it.

Ok, that's what I thought...I'll probably give this away as a gift to a friend since I already own this...it's nice to spread a little Carpenters cheer over the holidays!!:santawave:

Rick
(Chris Has Exited)

On Hush, when I said minimized, I don't think I was clear. On this single version, the minimizing is different, like the stabs were still there, but covered up somehow.

This one is different from all the others.

I would love to obtain a copy of this set, but being in the UK does anyone know if I will be able to purchase it?
Perhaps it will become more widely available?

So bummed that mine has not arrived yet. I received an e-mail that it had shipped, but the tracking number that was included is coming up as "not found." I really hope it gets here soon.

I'm in the UK too and would love to get my hands on a copy of this. I so hope it gets wider release on Amazon.

So bummed that mine has not arrived yet. I received an e-mail that it had shipped, but the tracking number that was included is coming up as "not found." I really hope it gets here soon.

Same here, I got the email confirmation last Fri and today is the 5th day that USPS is still showing Not Found for my tracking. I am wondering if it has something to do with the message on the email "Packages shipped via UPS Mail Innovations will have final delivery by your local postal service". It's like I have no idea, is it really in route or is my tracking # wrong? I'm just hoping it shows sometime this week. Ha

I feel bad for you guys. The way things happened when we were all ordering had me thinking I'd be among the last to get anything. Most here stated that they went all in for the CDs and DVD, but initially I only went for the CD set. I had to re-contact KQED through email to get them to change my order to everything, but still they seemed to keep the two orders as separate items.

I was envisioning all kinds of people questioning me about tracks for the Resource site while I could only just sit and wait.

Harry

I feel bad for you guys. The way things happened when we were all ordering had me thinking I'd be among the last to get anything. Most here stated that they went all in for the CDs and DVD, but initially I only went for the CD set. I had to re-contact KQED through email to get them to change my order to everything, but still they seemed to keep the two orders as separate items.

I was envisioning all kinds of people questioning me about tracks for the Resource site while I could only just sit and wait.

Harry

Which makes me think the maybe DVD is the hold up. There may have been production issues. Those who ordered only the CDs (or in your case, Harry, had a separate order) may have had theirs fulfilled first since the CD was ready to go. It's just strange that they would have sent a tracking number in the e-mail that isn't showing up on the USPS site. Normally when a tracking number is created it will show up in the system with a status of "not yet received by USPS facility" or something similar. The "Not Found" is just really odd. Oh well, I'm sure it's on its way. I was just really excited thinking I would come home from vacation and it would be waiting for me.

I get the "not found" thing too. That's probably a problem with the USPS's tracking system -- it's not nearly as well dialed-in as UPS or FedEx. I've had items before that would show "not found" even after they'd been delivered!

What's puzzling also is that I know for sure of only one other person who's gotten the CD set in the mail, a person over at Steve Hoffman's forum who actually got it a day ahead of me. But he was based in Pennsylvania which is where these shipped from.

But I know there are still a number of folks here and at SH.tv that haven't gotten it. Every day I expect a rash of "It's here!" posts, but so far, very quiet.

Harry

Update: I was just looking at my notification email again and it says the package is "READY to be shipped." So that tells me it was entered into whatever shipping system they use, but hadn't been taken to the post office yet; hence, not scanned into THEIR system, hence "not found."

But on a whim I just checked it again, and now it IS in the postal service's system and shows that is has been shipped .... today. So I'll probably get it by the mid-week.

I'll bet if others check their tracking again, they'll get similar results.

I finally got an update on the USPS website, mine also says arrived in Jersey City, NJ today at 12:30 pm I guess it won't be long now. I think Mike must be right...for me surely it didn't take from last Fri to this Weds to get from Warminster, PA to Jersey City.

It's all good....we are basically getting this 2 months before the public will get it..can't get any better than that for a Carpenters release, huh?
hmm...do I watch the DVD first or listen to the 3 CD set? oh the decisions of a Carpenters devotee.

Back
Top Bottom