• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Quincy Jones - The Dude

David S

I'm clearly on an early 80s kick. Since Beyond (Herb Alpert) I gravitated to Quincy Jones' The Dude, which I used to have on a cassette and unexplainable reasons was wanting to hear the other day so I got the cd. And like Beyond, I forgot how much I liked this recording...and would really enjoy a remastered version of it...anyone else like this one?

About the only thing I need now is a CD of the Mangione albums, "Love Notes" and "Tarantella" (it was a double album with Dizzy Gillespie, if I recall)...

and, of course, some Lani Hall (but I digress)...

THE DUDE is a great album. I'm more of a pop fan than a jazz fan, so it is my favorite Quincy Jones album. I tend to like the album tracks more than the hits. "Somethin' Special" and "Razzamatazz" are my two favorite songs on it. But really there isn't a bad tune on it.

I hated The Dude. It just wasn't what I wanted to hear from Q. It's not even remotely jazz so it won't be featured as a jazz AOTW.

thesmedman said:
About the only thing I need now is a CD of the Mangione albums, "Love Notes" and "Tarantella" (it was a double album with Dizzy Gillespie, if I recall)...

Tarentella was never released on CD, and I doubt that it would ever make it. There's some nice stuff on there as well as some not-so-nice stuff. I think Love Notes was on CD at one time but it wasn't a good album at all, as was most of his stuff on Columbia. He had lost his mojo by then.

Capt. Bacardi

The Dude was a major force on the R&B stations of the day, which is where most of us heard it locally. WJZZ, our jazz station, sometimes played a track or two from it, mainly "Ai No Corrida" IIRC. Still has many good memories for a lot of us who hung out together back then.

There were good songs on that album... "Just Once and "One Hundred Ways"--and "Ai No Corrida", (which I'd often mistake for another familiar-sounding song)--were pretty good tunes...

And despite the "softening up" that "Q" and most artists of his caliber, were into doing around that time, after now-30-years, later, The Dude's age has really held-up very well, considerably!

Dave

Q's success with "Ai No Corrida" as well as its use in a Japanese mystery movie were key to landing its composer, Chas Jankel, a solo contract with A&M. The former 'Blockhead' (as in Ian Dury and his Blockheads) proceeded to record nearly a half dozen albums for A&M. The best of which (IMHO) was his second, Questionnaire.

--Mr. Bill

It's not even remotely jazz
This is true. A good two-fer CD set would be "The Two Sides of Q" and have disk 1 be all his jazz stuff, with disk 2 full of pop stuff. (They could even put in a disk 3 of hits produced by him and performed by other artists.)

"The Dude" is one of my favorite albums from "Q". Great contemporary R&B/Pop album. "Ai No Corrida" is a great dance track, and "One Hundred Ways" and "Just Once" have become AC radio staples over the years. Another fave of mine is "Velas", the Ivan Lins song that features Toots Thielemans whistling and playing harmonica.

:wave:

The title track is pretty neat all these years after the fact. It has become one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom