R.I.P. Jerry Moss

1​
The Police, “Every Breath You Take”
2​
The Human League, “Don’t You Want Me” (A&M/Virgin)
3​
Janet Jackson, “Miss You Much”
4​
Carole King, “It’s Too Late”/ “I Feel the Earth Move” (Ode/A&M)
5​
Carpenters, “(They Long To Be) Close to You”
6​
Captain & Tennille, “Love Will Keep Us Together”
7​
Billy Preston, “Will It Go Round in Circles”
8​
Carpenters, “Top of the World"
9​
Styx, "Babe"
10​
Herb Alpert, “This Guy’s in Love With You”
11​
Falco, “Rock Me Amadeus"
12​
Simple Minds, “Don’t You (Forget About Me)"
13​
Herb Alpert, "Rise"
14​
UB40, “Red Red Wine"
15​
Billy Preston, “Nothing From Nothing"
16​
Captain & Tennille, “Muskrat Love”
17​
Captain & Tennille, “Lonely Night (Angel Face)”
18​
Bryan Adams, “Heaven"
19​
The Human League, “Human" (A&M/Virgin)
20​
Janet Jackson, “When I Think of You”
21​
Styx, “The Best of Times"
22​
Carpenters, “We’ve Only Just Begun”
23​
Breathe, “Hands to Heaven"
24​
Simple Minds, “Alive & Kicking"
25​
Go-Go’s, “We Got the Beat" (I.R.S./A&M)
26​
Atlantic Starr, “Secret Lovers"
27​
Chris de Burgh, “The Lady in Red"
28​
Rita Coolidge, “(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher"
29​
Sting, “If You Love Somebody Set Them Free"
30​
Sergio Mendes, “Never Gonna Let You Go"
31​
Michael Damian, “Rock On” (Cypress/A&M)
32​
Captain & Tennille, “Shop Around”
33​
The Brothers Johnson, “I’ll Be Good to You"
34​
Breathe, “How Can I Fall?"
35​
Carpenters, “Superstar”/“Bless the Beasts and Children”
36​
Billy Preston, “Space Race"
37​
Styx, “Mr. Roboto”
38​
Janet Jackson, “Control"
39​
Janet Jackson, “What Have You Done for Me Lately"
40​
Janet Jackson, “Nasty"
41​
Joe Jackson, “Steppin’ Out”
42​
Carpenters, “Yesterday Once More"
43​
Carpenters, “Please Mr. Postman"
44​
Gino Vannelli, “I Just Wanna Stop”
45​
Carpenters, “Sing"
46​
Janet Jackson, “Let’s Wait Awhile"
47​
Peter Frampton, “I’m in You"
48​
Carpenters, “Rainy Days and Mondays"
49​
Suzanne Vega, “Luka"
50​
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, “If You Leave”

Checking my own collection, I own 36 of those 50 tracks on various albums, singles and compilations.

Regarding the late great Jerry Moss, if I recall several years ago someone posted at this forum a very long interview of Jerry. It was so long that I didn't finish reading the entire interview. He went way back discussing his youth and Army days and then into his long and productive career. I did a search on this website, but could not find the interview. Is there anyone who knows where this interview is located?
Here is the interview. I knew right where to find it. When I first saw the segment on the Army, I realized that my father was in the Army at the same base and discharged at the same exact time that Jerry Moss was. Pretty cool.

I have 41 of the top 50. No Gino, Frampton, Damien, Breathe, and just 1 Billy Preston. Only early Sergio Mendez. I’m okay with that though. Great list.

I have 35 songs out of the 50 songs in my CD collection. Don't have Janet Jackson, Human League, Falco (hate that 1986 song), Styx, The Go-Go's, Atlantic Starr, Michael Damian (hated the 1989 remake of "Rock On") & Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark.

I haven’t added up how many of those I own, but it’s a majority. What’s odd is, I’ve heard every one of those songs except the two by Breathe. How is that possible!?

Breathe "Hands To Heaven" went to # 2 (2 weeks) which was kept from # 1 by Steve Winwood "Roll With It" on August 6 & 13, 1988. The song "How Can I Fall?" went to # 3 (2 weeks) on December 3 & 10, 1988 which was kept from Chicago "Look Away" & Will To Power "Baby, I Love Your Way"/"Freebird" (Medley).

Replying to Rim, I was at that same House of Blues show, if the album being promoted at the time was "Second Wind" on Almo Sounds. A friend and I got lucky as we hadn't pre-bought tickets. I was able to speak with Jerry during the intermission and he let us in to the post-concert reception. He was an exceptional person and I'm still in shock at his passing.

I had written an article about A&M titled "One Collector's Odyssey," which I sent several copies to various departments at A&M, as well as to Herb and Jerry. This led to him contacting me about participating in the label's 20th Anniversary celebration. There was an exhibit of LPs and 45s, as well as other items from my collection on display at the Chaplin Stage. I was blessed to be photographed with Jerry in front of the exhibit of 45s, and the collection was a good conversation starter with some of the artists in attendance. Although my encounters with Mr. M were all too infrequent, each was very special to me, and I miss him terribly.

A DAY TO HONOR JERRY​

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_1276958773.jpg

Herb Alpert
has arranged with the Jim Henson Company to hold a celebration of the life of A&M Records co-founder Jerry Moss for the A&M family at the former home of the label at 1416 N. La Brea Ave. in Hollywood. The A&M lot has been owned by Henson since 2000, soon after A&M was sold to UMG.
News of the event first appeared on the A&M Staff and Artists Facebook page Thursday (8/30) afternoon. Here’s the full text of the post:
SAVE THE DATE!
Herb Alpert cordially invites all former A&M employees to celebrate the life of Jerry Moss with him on Saturday, 12/16, at the (former) A&M lot. Please stand by for invitations with more details, but mark this on your calendar now.
Note, as we are guests of the Jim Henson Company and must adhere to fire-marshal regulations, RSVPs will be strictly enforced and no walk-ups will be permitted. Thank you!

I am surprised that there is not more tributes to Jerry on this website(after all, he's one of the reasons this site exists! The other of course being Herb.) I also read that Herb didn't attend Jerry's funeral, but he did have a commitment due to his concert at the Grand Ol' Opry. However, I'm glad that Herb has arranged for this memorial to Jerry at their old headquarters at A&M(Inow the Jim Henson lot).

Does anyone have any memories of Jerry, like they met him, or were friends with him or any former A&M employees have stories about him? If you do, please share them with us; he seemed to be a very nice man and we here at A&M Corner would definitely like to hear/read these stories. Remember, like I said before, there would be no A&M Corner without Jerry(and of course Herb!) Take care!

jazzdre

Maybe there aren't more tributes because most people don't know much about him. Probably many people don't know ANYthing about him. He was the businessman, Herb was the face of A&M.

Huh. That Wall Street Journal article says - and links to another WSJ article that also says - that Alpert and Moss sold Rondor Music to Universal Music Group in 2000 for about $400 million. I had previously heard it was only $200 million. I'm making that change in my book.

Maybe there aren't more tributes because most people don't know much about him. Probably many people don't know ANYthing about him. He was the businessman, Herb was the face of A&M.

Yes, this is exactly why I did not comment on this thread earlier. I know of the man, of course, and I always feel a bit of sadness whenever someone in the Carpenters "orbit" passes, but really didn't have anything to add given my lack of knowledge.

This thread taught me more than I had ever known about him, and of course, my condolences to all who new, loved, or admired him and what he brought to the music industry.

First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Happy New Year to all of you in A&M Corner land and may all of your dreams and wishes come true for this new season! I'm writing this to ask if there was any word on the Jerry Moss tribute at the old A&M lot? How did it go? Who was there> Any pictures of the celebration? I'm just curious, being a big fan of a lot of things A&M.

Take care, my A&M family!

First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Happy New Year to all of you in A&M Corner land and may all of your dreams and wishes come true for this new season! I'm writing this to ask if there was any word on the Jerry Moss tribute at the old A&M lot? How did it go? Who was there> Any pictures of the celebration? I'm just curious, being a big fan of a lot of things A&M.

Take care, my A&M family!
Yes---there's a separate thread, and there's video:

Back
Top Bottom