• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Randy Newman

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
For the first time in 20+ years, Veteran Singer-Songwriter Randy Newman was in town last night for a concert at the Bijou Theater in Downtown Knoxville (TN). It was a no-frills presentation with just Randy singing and playing piano.
Since I was late arriving, I did not compile a setlist. However, most of his songs are well known. He's on tour to promote his newly released SONGBOOK 1, a compilation of his apx. 30-year career. While Newman has recorded primarily for Reprise or Warner Bros., cover versions of his compositions are found on several early A&M recordings.
"I Think It's Gonna Rain Today" was recorded by Claudine Longet and the Sandpipers. "The Debutante's Ball" and "So Long Dad" are among the early Newman tunes which show up on Liza Minnelli's A&M albums.
Newman has had minor hits with "Short People" from his 1977 LITTLE CRIMINALS album and "I Love L.A." was a video favorite in the early days of MTV. "God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)" is a personal favorite.
Following Newman's show many fans hung out near the theater, and after a long wait we got to do the autograph/photo opp thing. While Newman is almost 60 and has titled one of his recent tunes "I'm Dead But I Don't Know It," he's still a lively and humorous performer.
That tune is about an old rocker who has run out of things to say via his music, but when it comes to Newman nothing could be further than the truth.
Newman's back-to-basics approach gives proof that sometimes 'less is more' when it comes to entertainment.
JB

LPJim said:
For the first time in 20+ years, Veteran Singer-Songwriter Randy Newman was in town last night for a concert at the Bijou Theater in Downtown Knoxville (TN). It was a no-frills presentation with just Randy singing and playing piano.
Since I was late arriving, I did not compile a setlist. However, most of his songs are well known. He's on tour to promote his newly released SONGBOOK 1, a compilation of his apx. 30-year career. While Newman has recorded primarily for Reprise or Warner Bros., cover versions of his compositions are found on several early A&M recordings.
"I Think It's Gonna Rain Today" was recorded by Claudine Longet and The Sandpipers. "The Debutante's Ball" and "So Long Dad" are among the early Newman tunes which show up on Liza Minnelli's A&M albums. JB

"The Debutante's Ball" is the only song by Liza I really like. Luckily, THAT's the song that appears on FAMILY PORTRAIT. What album of hers does "So Long, Dad" appear on?

In addition to The Sandpipers and Claudine, I have some other versions of "I Think It's Going To Rain Today" done by Grady Tate (The Drummer, Turned Singer), Cass Elliot, Melanie (who did "Candles In The Rain") and even Rod McKuen.

Dave

I first heard of Randy's songwriting abilities with "Love Story" sung by Peggy Lee a couple of years before he performed his own songs(a trivia note-Randy arranged Peggy's left field hit from that era,"Is That All There Is?" and allowed Ms. Lee to change the lyric of "Love Story" to make it a bit more upbeat). By the time his first album came out,I was hooked and found his less-than-perfect voice a great vehicle for his compositions. Randy had a live recording pressed as a promo for radio and/or retail and it was later made available as an album for sale to the public. As great as Harry Nilsson's NILSSON SINGS NEWMAN recording remains,it was Randy singing Harry's "Remember" on a Nilsson tribute album that showed just how effective that Randy's rasp could be-and you can tell he was probably tear-filled by the way his piano playing just misses a beat midway through the song. It only took the Motion Picture Academy a few decades to honor Randy,even though it was a near throw away,"You Got A Friend In Me" from "Toy Story2". Not just content with a song or two for a movie,Randy has compleely scored almost two dozen motion pictures,"Avalon" being my favorite. As for albums,I'll take 1990's autobiographical LAND OF DREAMS,though SAIL AWAY(title covered on A&M by Brownie & McGhee)was a true classic-"Let's drop the big one now". Mac

jimac51 said:
As a songwriter,I first heard Randy's "Love Story" sung by Peggy Lee a couple of years before he performed his own songs(a trivia note-Randy arranged Peggy's left field hit from that era,"Is That All There Is?" and was allowed to change the lyric of "Love Story" to make it a bit more upbeat). By the time his first album came out,I was hooked and found his less-than-perfect voice a great vehicle for his compositions. Randy had a live recording pressed as a promo for radio and/or retail and it was later made available as an album for sale to the public. As great as Harry Nilsson's NILSSON SINGS NEWMAN recording remains,it was Randy singing Harry's "Remember" on a Nilsson tribute album that showed just how effective that Randy's rasp could be-and you can tell he was probably tear-filled by the way his piano playing just misses a beat midway through the song. It only took the Motion Picture Academy a few decades to honor Randy,even though it was a near throw away,"You Got A Friend In Me" from "Toy Story2". Not just content with a song or two for a movie,Randy has compleely scored almost two dozen motion pictures,"Avalon" being my favorite. As for albums,I'll take 1990's autobiographical LAND OF DREAMS,though SAIL AWAY(title covered on A&M by Brownie & McGhee)was a true classic-"Let's drop the big one now". Mac

Oh, yeah! Liza did "Love Story". I had it on COME SATURDAY MORNING, as well as FOURSIDER. I also have Jack Jones doing it and Harry Bellafonte duetted that one with Lena Horne, too.

And don't forget "Sail Away"--I have Bobby Darin's and even Gladys Knight made a medley with it and "Freedom For The Stallion".

Dave

There are 3 Newman tunes on Liza' SP 4141, including "So Long Dad" and "Happyland."
Thanks for reminding me of "Sail Away" from SP 4379, a great version by Sonny & Brownie which deserves another spin.
JB

LPJim said:
There are 3 Newman tunes on Liza' SP 4141, including "So Long Dad" and "Happyland."
Thanks for reminding me of "Sail Away" from SP 4379, a great version by Sonny & Brownie which deserves another spin.
JB

I just have Sonny & Brownie's "Sail Away" on my Multi-Artist ODDYSSEY set. I have seen Terry & McGhee's double LP before.

Dave

SP 4379 has a gatefold cover but just has a single LP inside. The cover art was designed by Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean. The album was reissued on CD by A&M (# 0829) and later by Mobile Fidelity. It will be AOTW in ... 73 weeks.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom