Rare Brasil '66 Mas Que Nada "Promo Video"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

Here's a rare Brasil '66 video I've never seen before. It looks like a "promotional video" for HAP, with Sergio, Lani, Janis & Co. in the jungle while a sexy black couple dance and gyrate. Lots of great glamour close-ups of Lani band Janis with some odd 'fish eye' lens effects thrown in.

Does anyone know where this film would have been screened? Could this be one of those 'juke box videos' (the exact name for these escapes me, but it isn't 'Soundie') which were popular for a time in the '60s?

That's pretty cool!

Good job syncing the stereo recording to the video also.

Yeah, the video and audio are synced up well. Janis, however, must have still been new to the song. Check out her slightly off lip-syncing at around the :35 mark. Lani is right on, though.

Harry

The "Juke box videos" I was thinking is Scopiotones. Herb and the TJB "made" two I know ("Tijuana Taxi" and "Bittersweet Samba" , the latter directed by the young Robert Altman). Both are silly fun and and campy with lots of zingy closeups of girlie butts 'n boobs. Herb and the group never appear in either of them. According to the Scopitoine checklist, Brasil '66 did not make any.
This B'66 clip is more sophisticated than the usual Scopiotone (better photographed with better color) and rather advanced in featuring a sexy black couple...it's downright steamy for 1966.

www.scopitonearchive.com/scopitones/by_artist/a_b.html

Thanks a million Tulita for posting this awesome video of Mendes' greatest ensemble--his original group. In 1984 I saw a ten second video clip of this with Sergio Mendes as a guest on a short-lived syndicated variety series named On Stage America. I always wanted to see the entire video and here it is. Wow-- or as they would say in Portuguese--oba, oba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom