RC's Christmas Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave60640

Maybe this hardly qualifiies as "new" but what's up with Richard's Christmas album? :shrug: At this point, it seems to have "urban legend" status.
Speaking of...has anyone made any contact with the Carpenters' camp lately?? I, for one, would just like to hear something to the fact of a "all is well" or "no news is good news" type of message. Maybe Peter or someone else has some insight on what's been happening with RC and what the plans are for the most anticipated Christams album in my lifetime?????

I hate to sound negative, but at this point does anyone really care anymore? I'd still buy it, but I think he's alienated a lot of people by not releasing back when there was a bunch of talk about it. He'd need a lot of promotion, but I'm sure a lot of people would go "Who is Richard Carpenter?"

Someone really needs to speak to his webmaster. Their web site has not been updated in AGES! In fact, when Richard was in Japan launchin his "come back", there wasn't a single mention of it on their web site. The web master hasn't even updated the photo section in years. I am sure there are a number of fans that, not only would do a much better job, but would even do it for free. Richard really needs to kick that person to the side and let someone, who really knows what they are doing, take over.

The web site would be an excellent way for him to keep in touch with his fans, and would be an excellent forum for him to discuss projects such as the Christmas album.

It's a very inexpensive way to adertise and communicate with fans. I am glad to see so many artists taking advantage of this medium.

Well, he did have a wonderful lady by the name of Beck Boxberger that managed the website, but she retired or moved on to something else. And it seems whoever took over "retired" with her.

Barbra Streisand's website has remained dormant for years and all of sudden it took off with the upcoming release of her new album. Why did it take off? She fired the dead weight staff and hired a new staff.

Richard needs to do that!

The problem isn't his staff, it's that he apparently doesn't HAVE a website staff.

Richard needs to just bite the bullet, and hire a real website developer to maintain his site. If he found the right person/company, he could keep his personal involvement to a minimum.

The current site was done by one of his staffers who apparently had a small web design company, but web technology today is far beyond what that site offers. Richard could be doing a lot of exciting things with a website if he would just go for it.

Everyone praised Becky. She left without completing her job? How about the second half of album notes of "as time goes by"?

I knew Richard won't record his lead vocal for his next album, but I asked him to record on April 21st. He promised me he will include "Together At Christmas Again".
Universal Music told us hurry up or Richard would have to be late for the next job.
Richard seemed to be happy to talk more with fans.

Richard sent me a letter(May 5). I thought he would start recording very soon.

I saw Richard's photo on American newspaper site nearly a month ago. It was taken in May or June, not related with Christmas album.

I posted information about the presenter in another thread. I saw almost the same article posted on 18th, too.
Another article posted on 18th was interview with Richard would be included in "Clint Eastwood Presents JOHNNY MERCER: THE DREAM'S ON ME".

Several days ago I saw DVD Gold would be released again this November.

The latest Japanese news article about Richard was about Les Paul' movie that was shown on TV in the U.S. 2007, shown as a movie in Japan last year. The ad clip where Richard talked about Les Paul was the most viewed video on the net in Japan [2009.8.10~8.16]

No information about Christmas album, tribute album. :sad:
I sometimes checked Tachikawa's site and Julian Lennon's site. I have found none new.

SHM-CD's in papersleeves will be released in a week. Universal Music Japan Shop have them, but Carpenters page of Universal Music Japan doesn't have the information. Their news page was updated on June 26 with Richard's comment about the 40th Anniversary Box both in English and Japanese.

Sakura

DAVE 60640-Richard's Christmas album will probably never be released because Richard(to my knowledge) isn't signed to any Label.Unfortunately,with the dire situation that the music industry is in these days,getting a record deal is pretty tough.In Richard's situation,a prospective label would look at His previous solo album sales-two albums which were both commercial bombs-and realize that there isn't much interest in Richard as a solo artist.A Label would also look at this Christmas album that Richard has completed,and they might decide that it's not good enough for release.
I would recommend just forgetting about this album,and pretend it doesn't exist.If it does come out sometime in the future,then it will be a pleasant surprise.This album has already been in limbo for seven or eight years.In all probability,Richard's shopped this album around with several Labels,and they just weren't interested.

mr J. said:
In Richard's situation,a prospective label would look at His previous solo album sales-two albums which were both commercial bombs-and realize that there isn't much interest in Richard as a solo artist.A Label would also look at this Christmas album that Richard has completed,and they might decide that it's not good enough for release.

So question is: who has paid for all the recording sessions and guest appearances for tracks we know are already laid down?

But if he really wanted to release it, does he really need a label these days? Artists that aren't signed to labels release their tracks via download on their websites all the time.

I don't think Richard is that interested in this side of releasing material or probably particularly bothered either. He's semi retired.

Mr. J can totally tell that I am, indeed, a dreamer. I was hoping against hope, that someone had an ounce of info leading to, what appears to be, a lost hope. Maybe my opinions count for nothing in this world, actually I know they don't, but (to me) RC couldn't produce a bomb if he tried.
So here I sit, quietly waiting and....

newvillefan said:
I don't think Richard is that interested in this side of releasing material or probably particularly bothered either. He's semi retired.

Exactly. If he wanted to, it could be done.

Let's face it; RC has proven he is a pianist, arranger, composer and conductor. While his parents brought him up to be the musical star of the family, it was his sister who had the voice everyone wanted to hear. With the meager sales and attention of his solo efforts, RC's time has gone by. His successful efforts have focused on recreating his past and grown his fortune by tweaking material featuring his dead sister. Other than people who visit this forum, most people do not care anymore and would say, 'Richard who???" or "Oh yeah, whatever happened to him after his sister died?” Sadly, by reading the posts here from time to time, clearly he has alienated most of you as well.

The magic died in 1983. It is unfair and unrealistic to keep asking for more. Any RC lead vocal attempts will only be compared to what he and KC created and make people wonder again about what could have been. Ouch!!! In this economy, the cost of failure to walllet and ego would be far too expensice. Could your ego (let alone his) stand that comparrison again?

Shouldn't we move on?

"Shouldn't we move on?"

If that is the way you feel Mr SPAC then why are you wasting your time here?!

I for one have loved RC's solo albums, and would dispute your claim that "the magic died in 1983."

"Most people do not care anymore." Oh yeah? Well, just take a look at the astonishing reception he received during his recent visit to Japan and tell me nobody cares anymore. Or how about all those magazine covers and articles that have appeared during the past few months, (not to mention a best selling compilation album). Or the huge double page story that appeared in a top selling UK newspaper last year regarding his possible collaboration with Claire Dela Fuente.

Also, perhaps the "meager sales and attention of his solo albums" can in part be attributed to the woeful lack of support and publicity offered by his record label, and this applies to the last few Carpenters albums too. RC can afford to release anything he chooses with or without the "backing" of a record label, it all depends on whether he has the inclination to do so. And considering he held a huge press conference last year detailing all his future plans I don't see your logic in questioning why we "keep asking for more," as if the idea of new material is such an outlandish concept.

NEWVILLE FAN-If Richard didn't record the album while under contract with a label,then He would have paid for the album production costs himself.He could've even recorded the album in his own home studio(if he has one)and subcontracted some backup singers and/or orchestra.

DAVE-To clarify a definition here-a "bomb" is an album that doesn't sell-or by music industry standard-an album that doesn't even break even.Richard didn't "create" the bombs,it's the record buying public that does that-by chosing not to buy that album.It's not a quality issue,it's a sales issue.

Also,I would strongly dispute the above comment:"The magic died in 1983"-Karen's three posthumous albums "Voice Of The Heart","Old Fashioned Christmas" and "Lovelines" feature a good chunk of her best work.

Incidentally,for those that love Richard's "Time" album,and are unaware,the single "Something In Your Eyes" is available on several Dusty Springfield compilations.Ironicly,even though Dusty recieved no name credit on the single,it became a Dusty Springfield track,and A&M gave Dusty's label the rights to use the track on her own albums.

As a radio programmer, I must say something about Christmas. While a new solo RC album is not something I would want to put stock into, a Christmas album is another thing completely.

Christmas albums are evergreens. They sell year after year. Many artists past their prime release new holiday albums with much success. The "QVC" crowd last year helped Neil Sedaka have a big selling Christmas CD. This year, QVC is behind Michael McDonald. The Hallmark company did great with exclusive holiday collections featuring James Taylor and Barry Manilow.

If Richard wanted to market himself off of the Carpenters name with a new Christmas CD, he could do very well. Even better, if he secured a national sponsor behind him. People become very sentimental around the holidays and look for things from their childhood. Richard could release these tracks he has been working on for years and throw in one or two Karen vocals from the vaults. The audience would be there.

I would release it as "The Carpenters", as long as Karen's vocals appear a few times. This would make it much easier to sell. Much of "Old fashioned Christmas" was Richard alone.

For what ever the reason, Richard just does not seem motivated to perform or record. It must be personal, because the market and the audience could still be there if he wanted.

I've said it before, but I've always wished he would conduct a talent search and find an amazing new female voice, and make some new records with that person. Not under the "Carpenters" name, but a new name.

The biggest problem with that plan is, the majority of the music buying public today just doesn't dig the type of music Richard makes. That's the reason his solo albums didn't sell, too. A case CAN be made for lack of promotion by the record company -- they could have moved more albums if they'd marketed it differently (via infomercial, maybe).

But Jeff, you are right about a new Christmas album. It would get much more attention than a standard album and labels would fall over themselves to sell it.

JAZZ4JEFF said:
Richard could release these tracks he has been working on for years and throw in one or two Karen vocals from the vaults. The audience would be there.

I would release it as "The Carpenters", as long as Karen's vocals appear a few times. This would make it much easier to sell. Much of "Old fashioned Christmas" was Richard alone.

I agree in theory with the idea of packaging up the album as a Carpenters album, as long as there were enough tracks with Karen to justify it. If people bought it as a Carpenters-labelled collection, they would surely expect to hear at least the same number of Karen leads on it as, say, An Old Fashioned Christmas. He wouldn't get away with calling it a 'Carpenters' album if all that is on it is the other version of 'Ave Maria'.

Which begs the question: how many Karen/Christmas related leads can there possibly be left? I'd say zero, other than Ave Maria.

I'd agree Stephen, that is about the only Christmas lead that we would think exists, he couldn't call it a Carpenters Christmas CD. However he could add that track as a hidden bonus from his solo CD, better yet from a marketing standpoint release the CD and then the next year release it again with bonus track of alternate take Ave Maria so we buy it twice :o :laugh: Olivia did that with Christmas Wish, first released at Target stores and then the following year it was released again at Target stores with a bonus track. Did I buy both, you bet!! Target store had a display when it was released in their stores on a end stand very nice display the kind that you could press a button and choose the CD # and play samples while shoppers walked around. I had to do my part by pressing her CD as many times as I could so shoppers would get the point, yeah you need this. :laugh:

We know that ATGB didn't get the sales we had hoped but I always thought a collection of Christmas duets on CD titles Carpenters and Friends at Christmas would be nice...Georgia Engel, Gene Kelly, Bruce Forsyth, Kristy McNichol, etc....Of course I prefer to be alive when that happens. :laugh:

Will I buy a Christmas CD with Karen singing even 1 song - YES!
Will I buy a Chrismas CD without Karen singing - YES!
Because it has the Carpenter name....that is such a part of my life. I don't know how much I'd listen to it though.

I purchased "Time" on vinyl when it was released because it was Richard. Do I ever listen to it - NO.
I purchased his second CD because it was Richard with Carpenters music. Do I ever listen to it - NO. It is like really nice elevator music.

I think the idea of a CD with Carpenters and Friends would be great, if they could get releases for the people to be on the CD....and then would probably have to be reworked a little due to being mono.

Or even a DVD with only the Carpenters parts released would be nice.

Jonathan

^^You're probably right. For all intents and purposes, we've seen the end of Richard as an artist. It's so sad.

I don't think I agree 100% with that. RC has too much of a love of sharing music with the public and his fans. Whether or not it's his album, or just a guest arrangement or vocal, I think we'll see (and hear) more from RC as long as he is able to make it happen. He has way too much talent to hold back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom