RC's Christmas Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.
The newfound singer, whom Carpenter declined to identify at this stage, will
grace his Christmas album next year.
Posted by Sakura on this site 11/16/2008. As far as I can tell, Sakura is always on top of everything Carpenters, so I hold out hope.

raz42289 said:
I'll believe it when I see it.

Same here, I'd really enjoy another RC solo lp.
Maybe sprinkle in some unreleased KAREN :love: :thumbsup: (HINT HINT) RC.
I'd like to hear Is kid Mindi sing some more too.
But as RAZ42289 put it I'll Believe it when i see it.

lee

youtube.com/cosurecad

1979lee said:
raz42289 said:

And there's the problem right here. :rolleyes:

When will people just let Richard be Richard?

Richard hasn't change his style of music. I still love to hear more from him, especially NEW music by him.

Face it people, Karen is DEAD, and she's not coming back. Life goes on!

Danny

Well, it's pretty much too late for this year now. Christmas albums usually get released around August or September, to give the warehouses time to get stock in place and stores to make plans for displays and promotions.

I just looked up Carpenters on our music distributor's database....CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT and CHRISTMAS COLLECTION are currently their two top selling Carpenters titles. The next three are compilations, followed by CLOSE TO YOU and then another compilation.

Every year around this time, I always check Amazon.com to see which of the Christmas albums are being re-released, and I always look out for Richard's Christmas album. Again - nothing this year...

I've heard that Petula Clark is supposed to have recorded a track, as well as Glen Campbell and Gladys Knight. Petula is 76 years old now. Gladys Knight is 65 and Glen Campbell is 73. Richard just turned 63.

If he's ever going to release it, he needs to do it ASAP before any of these artists die (sorry, but I had to say it) otherwise, that album is going to have a lot of posthumous recordings on it.

Also, Richard would be foolish not to include Karen's recording of the Schubert Ave Maria, if not just as a tribute to her, but as a gift to the millions of Carpenter fans who have remained loyal for so many years. In my opinion, tt would be a slap in the face or the equivalent of a middle-finger gesture not to release it on what is probably the last possible opportunity for him to do so. Failing that, it would be a nice suprise if he'd release it as a Christmas single, along with a few of the other cherished Christmas songs they recorded.

Sad fact is, that both Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond are releasing new Christmas albums this year, and Richard does not.

I have to add, that Manilow's and Diamond's albums include some previously released material, but it's better than nothing.

Sometimes I think, that Richard is so busy with his family life and with his "private" life, that he doesn't have enough time for the music left. Or maybe he is ill?

Sad. Richard is such a good musician!

Bruno

Bruno said:
Sad fact is, that both Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond are releasing new Christmas albums this year, and Richard does not.

I have to add, that Manilow's and Diamond's albums include some previously released material, but it's better than nothing.

Sometimes I think, that Richard is so busy with his family life and with his "private" life, that he doesn't have enough time for the music left. Or maybe he is ill?

Sad. Richard is such a good musician!

Bruno
I bought the Christmas album of Barry Manilow last year. (They didn't sell it to Japanese, so I had to ask an American friend to get it for me.) And a new song could be heard in the U.S. last Christmas, I think.

Sakura

In fact, there are three Manilow Christmas albums:

Because It's Christmas (1990)
A Gift of Love (2002)
In The Swing of Christmas (2009)

BECAUSE IT'S CHRISTMAS is the best, in my opinion. It is jazzy and melancholic, a bit like PARADISE CAFE.

A GIFT OF LOVE is more uptempo. It is very short, only thirty minutes.

IN THE SWING OF CHRISTMAS was released only in the US last year as a Hallmark (??) offer, I couldn't order it at amazon.

Bruno

Daniel Perales said:
1979lee said:
raz42289 said:

And there's the problem right here. :rolleyes:

When will people just let Richard be Richard?

Richard hasn't change his style of music. I still love to hear more from him, especially NEW music by him.

Face it people, Karen is DEAD, and she's not coming back. Life goes on!

Danny

Wow...Danny....don't think you could have made that any more clear...I think you have made your point.
Let me make mine.
We know Karen's gone. We also know there are tracks in the vault. In what condition, we don't know.
It's kind of like this, let's say a curator of a museum had unpublished works of Pablo Picasso. As a fan of Picasso, you'd want to see the unfinished works of art. The curator would be the one to decide if those works of art are ever displayed or not. Fans would want to see it. Art lovers would beg to see it.

That is how Carpenters fans feel about Karen's music. Richard is one-half of the Carpenters and the curator of their music. We will ALWAYS want more, to hear even a snippet of the great singer who has touched our lives for many years. We do respect Richard and he does have final say, of course. But does that mean we can't hope for more? I know I will always wish we had more of Karen & Richard Carpenter.
EVEN if that means throwing us a 'bone' on his solo Christmas album.

aaflyer98 said:
But does that mean we can't hope for more? I know I will always wish we had more of Karen & Richard Carpenter.

I'm with you Patrick...It's ok to hope for more...I hope every year that we will get a new song or remix or video release or something from Richard. We all love Karen's voice and it's a natural thing to want more of what we love especially...."When it's Gone..it's Just Gone :love: .

Thanks, Mike, I know. I meant, I couldn't order IN THE SWING OF CHRISTMAS last year. I ordered it some days ago at amazon, and I'm waiting for it to be delivered in the next couple of days.

Bruno

Off topic, Barry Manilow

Bruno, you may not have watched this. I don't know Region.

Happy Holiday! [DVD] [Import] (2009)
Rhino
2009/11/03
Amazon ASIN: B002RB56X6

I think I have watched this, but don't have the DVD. Fans said that this was released only for fan club members, and this year released for non-members.

Sakura
Edit;
I thought "In the Swing of Christmas" has one more track than last year release. Amazon US CD list is without "Toyland" and 2 more tracks. Amazon US download and Amazon Germany CD/download 2 more tracks.

I got my copy of IN THE SWING OF CHRISTMAS today.

Track listing:

1. Silver Bells
2. Carol of the Bells / Jingle Bells
3. Joy to the world / It's the most wonderful time of the year
4. Have yourself a merry little Christmas (previously released in 1990)
5. Violets for your furs
6. O Tannenbaum/Winter Wonderland
7. Christmas time is here
8. The Christmas Song (prev. released in 1990)
9. Toyland
10. Count your blessings

Bonus Tracks:
11. Rudolph the red nosed reindeer
12. Christmas is just around the corner

It sure is!! And the first gift is: With this post I am finally a Diamond member!

Bruno

Wow! After all these replies and side bar conversations, I feel safe in saying that the answer to my original question would be a firm"no!"
Please let me be one of the first to know if anyone hears something down the road about 2010. I am getting old and I may forget all about the album. :freak:

As I said on an earlier post,Richard(to my knowledge)isn't signed to any label.Even though this Christmas album was (obviously) completed years ago,it's not going anywhere without a label.Really,the situation is very obvious,but Richard and his representatives aren't going to admit to this.Being without a record label is damaging to a recording artist's self-esteem.The reality of the situation is that there's no market for Richard as a solo artist,and his previous two solo albums prove that.Richard has probably shopped this Christmas album around with a few labels over the past eight years,and they probably felt it wasn't going to sell-and didn't sign him.

Why couldn't Richard release the album through his own website for purchase, would he need a record label for that? Better yet allow us to download them for .99 cents a song. I'd prefer an original CD but even downloads would be better than nothing. I thought there were alot of guests that were to appear on his Christmas CD, not sure how the guest artists would get royalties of he sold the CD himself. :?:

It's a shame we may not ever get to hear this album.

Now there's a thought. Would that be possible for an artist to release something through their own website? I know certain artists will release "special" editions or "exclusives" through I-Tunes and other music sites, why not through their own?!
As an artist, the risk would be nil, promotion could be as easy as a mailing list and look at how many hits (and possible purchases) Carpenters website has had already.
How many of us would gladly purchase a tune at a time for say a dollar or two if it were something that was previously unavailable. Tunes such as "Dance In The Old Fashioned Way", "Thank You For The Music", "Make Me Laugh" and other gems, including RC's own Christmas offerings, would surely be profitable enough to invest in the technology already in use.
I know I am dreaming (again) but the idea is an AWESOME one that should be explored. Thanks Chris!!!! :goodie:

Would that be possible for an artist to release something through their own website?
Sure, that's done all the time these days. Some artists are even releasing music "a track at a time" now, rather than doing a whole album at once.

Richard is in the position to do whatever he wants to do, that's the bottom line.

Were there any skits by Carpenters at Dorothy Hamill Special? I have seen only "Make Me Laugh" on the net.

While I was searching for Dorothy Hamill and Barry Manilow before, I came across the Dorothy's news video in which she talked about her book. I searched for Karen in the book, and found that she told about Karen and there was a photo, too.

Dorothy Hamill will appear on FOX on Thanksgiving Day. Olivia Newton-John will sing at the Kaleidoscope. I wish I could watch the program.
http://www.womenandcancer.com/

Sakura

Still off topic,

Does anyone have the photo of Karen in the green outfit, the same one in Perry Como Christmas Special?
In the photo that I had, Richard wore green denim jacket, probably matched to Karen's blue and orange ones.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom