Re-Whipped Advance Copy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received an advance copy of Herb's Re-Whipped. Here is the artwork. As soon as I can listen & make notes, I'll fill you all in.

RewhippedPromoFront.jpg
RewhippedPromoBack.jpg

So the running order has been remixed too. Interesting.

I wanna see more of the cover girl. Hopefully another poster is in the works? :wink:

Very cool the way they remixed the logo on the back cover. I'm surprised they didn't do it that way on the original release back in '64!

Well, it's interesting to see how this album, first going from being "accessible" to the next generation of Young Record Buyers would be "accessible" MUSICALLY, too! :winkgrin:

Dave

...giving a "More Power" to our "Department of Youth", too! :neutral:inkshield: :wink:

Take just about all that has been written here speculating about what Re-Whipped would be like, and shred it! It's not like any of the lighter than air verbiage that has gone before.

The tracks are all new. The re-mixes are very creative. Herb plays new solos, doing both melody and counterpoint in some tracks. While he plays some like the originals, this is a jazzier, more free-wheeling Herb! His years later take on the tunes is quite interesting.

Some have essential snippets (actual audio) from the original tune. 11 of 12 do sound like the original, to varying degrees. The exception being Butterball, which if you don't listen extremely close to the new version, you wouldn't even know it was derived from the original!

This is hard to explain, you have to hear it to believe it. I really like it, with maybe the exception of the previously mentioned Butterball, which might need time to grow on me. Whipped Cream is a very strong opener. It starts with a cool new groove going with piano and percussion. Herb lays down a new melody with a jazzy/funky trumpet section following. There are pieces of the original track mixed in, incuding the familiar piano, Herb overdubs his original and the track ends with the familiar wood block.

Some of the original tracks as used, are equalized, have record noise applied and are made to sound like played on an old Victrola or broadcast on early radio. Here & there, I hear a little funky horn like from North On South Street and a little from Colors.

A Taste Of Honey opens like the original, but repeats the marimba & guitar opening. It probably has the most original track included of any of the re-mixed tunes. Like Whipped Cream, it is very strong and probably more closely resemble the originals.

More to follow...

On March 7th Shout! Factory Releases Reinvention of Whipped Cream & Other Delights, Featuring Ozomatli, Thievery Corporation, Medeski Martin & Wood, and New Trumpet Solos from Alpert

LOS ANGELES, CA -- Legendary trumpeter, arranger, recording artist and music-industry trailblazer Herb Alpert has connected with a stellar crew of visionary remixers on Rewhipped, due March 7th on Shout! Factory. The 12-song collection serves up groovalicious takes on every track from Whipped Cream & Other Delights, the landmark, 4X GRAMMY-winning 1965 LP by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass that spent eight weeks at #1 when it was originally released.

Not content to merely hand off his originals for contemporary reinvention, however, Alpert has recorded tasy new trumpet solos for every track, personally revisiting each one with the passionate, signature sound for which he is renowned. The release of Rewhipped corresponds with Herb Alpert's March 13 induction into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, when he'll receive a Lifetime Achievement Award along with his fellow A&M Records co-founder, Jerry Moss,

Rewhipped is the first project to remix an album in its entirety. The list of producer-mixers adding 21st-century flavor to these classic recordings includes John King of famed production team the Dust Brothers (”A Taste of Honey”), L.A.'s fiercely eclectic collective Ozomatli (”Whipped Cream,” “Love Potion #9”), jazz-funk masters Medeski Martin & Wood (”El Garbanzo”), avatars of electronica Thievery Corporation (”Lemon Tree”), sample-juggling genius Mocean Worker (”Bittersweet Samba”), fted film composers Anthony Marinelli (”Whipped Cream,” “Love Potion #9,” “Green Peppers,” “Butterball,” “Peanuts,” “Lollipops and Roses”) and Camara Kambon (”Ladyfingers”), and Teutonic turntablist DJ Foosh (”Tangerine”).

Whipped Cream's sexy blend of jazz, pop, salsa, bossa nova and Dixieland set a new standard for stylish instrumental music and the all-time classic album continues to influence artists 40 years post-release. Rewhipped not only underscores Alpert's impact on the development of electronic music and remixing--his inventive use of overdubbed trumpet parts has been widely copied--it also stretches the original's global sensibilities, adding slinky breakbeats and unexpected arrangements, among other sonic innovations. GRAMMY winners Ozomatli took the remix idea to the extreme by providing a spicy vocal track to the previously instrumental “Love Potion #9.”

Boasting contributions from drummer Hal Blaine and pianist Leon Russell and loosely based on a theme of delectable edibles, Whipped Cream & Other Delights (reissued by Shout! Factory in 2005 as part of the Herb Alpert Signature Series) spent eight weeks at #1 and more than a year in the Top 10, eventually logging nearly three years in the Top 40. “A Taste of Honey” was a Top 10 single and snagged “Record Of The Year,” one of the album's four GRAMMY Awards. For his part, Alpert has sold more than 75 million records worldwide.

Whipped Cream's provocative cover, meanwhile - depicting a voluptuous model named Dolores Erickson wearing nothing but whipped cream - became an essential tableau of the era. The artwork for Rewhipped salutes this trailblazing iconography with a beguiling shot of cream-clad Guess girl Bree Condon.

In 1965, Whipped Cream & Other Delights was as cool as it got. Four decades later, Rewhipped cruises the cultural cutting edge courtesy of today's hippest remixers. Take it for a spin and get swanky.

rewhippedwide.sized.jpg

Yours Truly said:
Looks like there might be a "story" behind THIS Whipped Cream...Rewhipped Cover Girl, as well--though probably not nearly as dramatic as Dolores'...!! :oops: :twisted:

Dave

Well, I was right, wasn't I... :wink: And even MORE Dramatic, too! :bigeek:

Dave :winkgrin:

TonyCurrie said:
As for "bouncing"....

Using a three-track machine, you'd start with percussion/bass on track 3. with a solo trumpet on track 1. Then you'd play that back over headphones while Herb played the second trumpet part, recording both of these on track 2. Then track 2 would be played through headphones while Herb played a third part, all of this being recorded back on to track 1.... and so on, bouncing back and forth between tracks 1 and 2. Hence the term 'bouncing'.

Or in another case, you might record three tracks, then mix those down to a single track on a second 3 track machine. Then you have two open tracks to record onto, and again, the track could be mixed down to a single track. Thing is, the more you bounce, the more you increase the hiss level and remove detail as the number of generations increases.

Rewhipped is the first project to remix an album in its entirety.

Man, who wrote this stuff? :shake: It is far from the first project to have an entire album remixed like this. Both of Bebel Gilberto's albums have completely remixed companions. Rob Zombie has full remix albums for at least two of his recordings ("Supersexy Swinging Sounds" was the remix for "Astro Creep: 2000", for example). Paula Abdul had one for her album "Forever Your Girl", which dates back to the late 80s. I'm not sure if it remixed ALL of the tracks, but if not, it had the majority of them.

Just a nit I'm picking for now... :wink:

Not Necessarily Steve Sidoruk said:
...Rewhipped is the first project to remix an album in its entirety...

'For the record', what about Milli Vannelli's REMIX PROJECT--; can't think of the name of it right now, but it was their SECOND album, released Right After their FIRST, Girl, You Know It's True...

Dave

...who thinks if a SECOND album that's basically a "remixed deal" can follow a "debut", then... :|

Oh there have been lots of albums remixed. It's a pretty common thing these days in the hiphip/pop genre. But, usually they have a track or two added or maybe an extra disk. It's more rare to have an album re-thought with all the original songs like this one. It's certainly happened, but not as often.

I'm liking the cover!

They could fix it by adding one word: Rewhipped is the first project to remix an Alpert album in its entirety.

Mike Blakesley said:
Oh there have been lots of albums remixed. It's a pretty common thing these days in the hiphip/pop genre. But, usually they have a track or two added or maybe an extra disk.

And us "old timers" remember how popular 12" singles used to be. :D

My first experience with remixes were with 12" singles from the disco era. Back then, a remix was just that: existing tracks were mixed differently for the dance DJs, with more of a beat, and enhanced percussion. The song was also presented in a longer version, with added verses or even a lengthy instrumental break in the midsection. They were often longer than album versions. And a lot of these are rare enough today to command prices into the three-digit range. I could get over $100 for my Chicago "Street Player" 12" single, but you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands first. :agree:

As time went on, several years later, some "remixers" actually would just use the vocal and a couple of instrumental bits, but record a new rhythm and bass line for the song. That's pretty much where "Rewhipped" is going to be. That's just the way things are done these days, and technically I don't even like calling them remixes since they use so little of the original recording, often just sampling it.

Yeah, I'm a purist on the terminology here...

Yeah, "revamp" would be a better term.

The other thing I remember about most 12" singles is they'd start and end with just the drumbeat to make it easy to mix into another song. (or have an extended percussion break in the middle) Those were the days, indeed. One of my favorites was Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" which had a cool sax solo that wasn't in the original LP. (remembering my DJ-days here)

The "Remix Producer" is Anthony Marinelli,who is probably the soundtrack composer that shows up on my Google searches. Marinelli's credits include the music to "The Mayor of Sunset Strip",the documentary about Rodney Bingenheimer,aka Rodney on the ROQ,a fixture on the Sunset strip music scene for almost 40 years. As producer of the project,I would think that Marinelli had a hand in the selection process of who got which song and played a part in what eventually made the cut for the finished product. An interview with him discussing the editing process of "what fits and what doesn't" that must go inside the producer's head would prove interesting. Wonder if Shout could supply such an interview with promotional materials? Mac

Mike Blakesley said:
Yeah, "revamp" would be a better term.

The other thing I remember about most 12" singles is they'd start and end with just the drumbeat to make it easy to mix into another song. (or have an extended percussion break in the middle) Those were the days, indeed. One of my favorites was Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" which had a cool sax solo that wasn't in the original LP. (remembering my DJ-days here)

Or if you really remember 12" singles, "Hot Stuff" merged right into "Bad Girls", at least on the copy I had. There are other 12" versions out there that don't have this merge.

Billboard just released this little news item about the album:

Remixers 'Rewhip' Classic Alpert Album

January 11, 2006, 3:35 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Thievery Corporation, Medeski Martin & Wood, the Dust Brothers' John King and Mocean Worker are among the acts who have remixed material from the classic 1965 album "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" from Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass.

Due March 7 via Shout Factory, "Re-Whipped" will also include five remixes from project producer Anthony Marinelli, two of which feature Ozomatli. In addition, Alpert re-recorded a handful of his famed trumpet solos for use on the album.

The release is part of an ongoing series of Alpert reissues that began last year. "It has been wonderful," Alpert told Billboard in late 2004 about the journey back in time. "It caught me off guard. I try not to live in the past, [but] when I heard these tapes, I just felt it would be nice for people to be able to experience it."

Albert & the Tijuana Brass spent 32 weeks at No. 1 between 1962 and 1968 and scored a slew of pop hits, including "This Guy's in Love With You" and "A Taste of Honey." As previously reported, Alpert and A&M Records co-founding partner Jerry Moss will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award in March at the 2006 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in New York.

Capt. Bacardi

OK, I have got to ask this and I am really going to show some major ignorance, so please bear with me...I have read this entire thread, and especially Steve Sidoruk's post which sparks some interest for me, and...

What actually is a "remix" anyway?

If I buy this "Rewhipped" album, what am I going to hear when I play it? I'm not talking about technical recording details - I don't care much about that...I am talking about the music. Am I right in speculating that other musicians have taken these songs and re-recorded them somehow? Who is playing the songs? What does Herb Alpert actually have to do with it? I see above that it says that he has "re-recorded some of his famed trumpet parts." What does that mean? I do not understand what is going on with this project...

Sorry... I don't get it at all :?:

As with many other aspects of language, the word "remix" has significantly changed its meaning over the years.

Originally, the technical term described a situation where the multitrack master of a recording that had previously been mixed down to two tracks for stereo and issued was mixed again, with perhaps the exclusion of some instruments or vocals present in the original mix, and in some cases new vocals or instruments added to the original. This new recording was described as a "remix".

Then the term was hijacked by the younger generation, who developed a new art - first of all taking original vinyl and with some slick handling and rap vocals creating something new using some of the components of the original recording. Latterly this has developed a stage further, with musical phrases, and snatches of an original sampled and rearranged to produce a new musical work that has been created not on conventional instruments, but on a computer mixing up little bits of something. These "remixes" often start with an electronic rhythm track over which bits of the original are dropped in - often in a different order, or in a rhythmic, highly repetitive way. New vocals, sometimes new instruments are also added.

It's this definition of "remix" that we're talking here. It's little snippets of the originals, with new rhythm tracks and Herb doing some new trumpet work. It will not be the Tijuana Brass as you remember them. It will be 21st century dance music, but with echoes and allusions to the originals. When done well it can be fantastic (and I have tried doing remixes myself and can tell you it ain't nearly as easy as it might seem). When done for money and with no artistic integrity it's often utter crap.

In this case, however, I have exceedingly high hopes and can't wait until March!

I do not think I have ever heard something like that before - I don't really comprehend... and 21st Century dance music? :confused:

That sounds a little "scary" to my aged ears. :shake:

I guess I'll have to actually hear it before I'm going to understand what is happening, or whether I am part of the so-called "audience" for this project... :confused:

I'm glad Captaindave had the guts to ask the $64 question, and I appreciate Tony's characteristically clear answer.

I confess my lack of musical imagination, but I have to wonder who, exactly, is the target audience for such a project. Old farts like me who grew up with the Brass in the 60s are not likely to enjoy snippets of beloved favorites sprinked over ugly rap vocals and electronic repetition. Young pups may love the latter but wonder why anything so corny (to their ears) as the original tracks would be the source material.

To my mind, the only things obviously attractive about this CD are

1. Herb Alpert's giving his name, blessing, and (reportedly) horn to it;

2. The New Girl, AKA Delores II: Bree, uh, Condon. Yeah, after three tries I think I got the spelling write.

But I'm saving my money until I read here the first reviews of the album.

It's important to remember the target audience for this project, which is aimed at the younger, dance-oriented crowd. I've listened to these tracks now, and there's some really interesting stuff going on for the most part. It's a lot more urban-sounding, heavy bottom, and Herb does quite a bit of new horn work. I love this version of "Lollipops & Roses", where Herb takes off on a very jazzy solo. (BTW, there's no muted trumpet anywhere, for those who don't like that.) Some of it is bit bizarre at times. If you're expecting the carefree, happy sounds of the TJB, then you'll probably be disappointed. But on initial listening I'm pleasantly surprised how this turned out.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm thinking this might be somewhat like the re-release of the Four Seasons' "Oh What a Night (December 1963)" -- very reminiscent of the original but with a more pronounced beat, longer music bridges and a bit different instrumentation. Do I assume correctly?

If Mr. A would have asked Juan Oskar, :tongue: JO would have suggested doing a kick b** big band version of "Lollipops and Roses". The 1965 "A Taste of Honey" is eternally perfect. :thumbsup: later amigos.........J

Thanks for scanning in all the artwork! It's really cool to finally see it. The "wrap around" cover on the actual CD is really nice and works well, but I have to admit that I like the photo on the advance copy better. Having her holding the old TJB vinyl albums was a really cool idea and kind of "connects" this new project back to the original. I hope that photo is at least included somewhere in the booklet.

I'm really excited about this album! I can't wait to hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom