Re-Whipped Advance Copy

Status
Not open for further replies.
goldwax said:
If you think that's something, wait till you see the picture of Bree inside!

If the outside of the CD package is "RE-whipped", will the inside be "UN-whipped"?? :D

Gotta get me one, and fast... :agree:

Rudy said:
If the outside of the CD package is "RE-whipped", will the inside be "UN-whipped"?? :D

Only if there were three bonus tracks: "Milk Duds," "Raw Oysters" and "Pink Tacos" :laugh:

--Mr Bill
dirty mind at play again, reminiscent of when he first found dad's WC&OD LP...

Captain Bacardi said:
Herb does quite a bit of new horn work. I love this version of "Lollipops & Roses", where Herb takes off on a very jazzy solo. (BTW, there's no muted trumpet anywhere, for those who don't like that.) Some of it is bit bizarre at times. If you're expecting the carefree, happy sounds of the TJB, then you'll probably be disappointed. But on initial listening I'm pleasantly surprised how this turned out.

Capt. Bacardi

How were you able to listen? I'd like to hear this new horn work myself.

Capt. Bacardi, I'm fascinated by this re-mix project ... a bold move by Herb, for sure. I appreciate your mini-review (and the gem that there's no muted work -- hurray!) Might I respectfuly request that you share a bit more of your impressions of "Re-whipped?" For example, is Herb's new horn work distorted by heavy production techniques, or is the tone fairly natural sounding? It's a long time 'til the release date for us regular folks, so any other tidbits or insights would be most welcome.

Herb's horn is pretty much natural, for the most part. There are occasions where there will be reverb, maybe an effect or two. After listening to this a few times I find this is not Herb revisiting the past, but bringing the past to this century. This is really a new solo album by Herb using the old Whipped Cream sounds as a beginning point. Herb's horn playing is similar to what he did on Gato Barbieri's Shadow Of The Cat CD, with a variety of backgrounds. "Green Peppers", for example, is almost verbatim from the original version, until it eventually gets into a moody Herbie-Hancock-Headhunters thing, and lasts 4:45, as opposed to the usual 1:31 we're used to. "Ladyfingers" has a hip-hop/shuffle going on, and Herb's playing reminds me of his Abstract Heart period. "Love Potion #9" has vocals to it, similar to a Santana Supernatural track. "El Garbanzo" is a quasi-mambo with a bit of a Vince Guaraldi piano break in the middle. You won't polka to "Peanuts" here, either. It's too frenetic for that. "Lemon Tree" has a mood much like "African Flame". "Butterball" clocks in at 6:17 and sounds nothing like the original. It does have some neat sound effects that gets into a Sgt. Pepper or Dark Side Of The Moon mode. This is some funky TJB!

Capt. Bacardi

I can't relate to a great deal of what has been said because I'm unfamiliar with most of the examples cited, but I do look forward to hearing the sound clips that should surely be eventually posted on Amazon.

I sincerely hope it isn't TOO funky for me, for I do have some kind of "threshold" of tolerance for that kind of thing...it does sound interesting, but I must hear some examples to come to a conclusion for myself.

Captain Bacardi said:
Herb's horn is pretty much natural, for the most part. … This is some funky TJB!

Your description is fascinating. Among other things, it reminds me that I could never, ever be a professional musician, because my ears always fall into the first or most impressionable groove of a song as I first heard it. But am I ever curious about the moody Hancock-Headhunters of the rewhipped "Green Peppers." I may be buying this CD for reasons beyond Bree.

Which reminds me: Did anyone else notice that the wrap-around image of her appears to be a flip-flop of the photographer's original negative?

My thanks go to Capt. Bacardi for providing his detailed preview of the forthcoming album; it may well prove not be my cup of tea, but I'll definitely purchase it when released. Will Herb do it again? -- meaning pull off a hugely popular album or single, after years of relative obscurity? I would never bet against him -- I recall being pleasantly amazed when RISE shot to #1 in (I believe) 1979. Here's hoping.

Rudy said:
If the outside of the CD package is "RE-whipped", will the inside be "UN-whipped"??

...if so I suspect many of us will be un-zipped!!!

--Mr Bill
with a (very) delayed play on Rudy's words...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom