• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Remembering Karen Carpenter in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let me give my appreciation and kudos to all the eloquent tributes that have preceded my words (and perhaps to those who will follow mine). I had to allow the entire day (Feb 4th) to play out before I could join this discussion. You see, on the evening of February 4, 2015, I was with one of Karen's best friends... Well, to be specific, I attended a concert in Clearwater, Florida put on by Olivia Newton-John---my first time seeing her in concert. (I know that pleases Chris, an Ordinary Fool, among others.) So it was Olivia, a few hundred others, and me... I had hoped that she might make mention of Karen and maybe even sing a Carpenters' song (she has recorded "Rainy Days and Mondays," for instance). But that wasn't to be. Still, Olivia put on a great show.

Every year as the date of February 4th approaches, I grow restless and my heart is heavy. After all this time, the ironic thing is that, while Karen's voice has always comforted me, this date brings me in need of comfort yet again. When things in middle school and high school were close to unbearable for me, I played Karen and I was comforted. After high school graduation, as I was coming out of my shell and becoming my own person, I was comforted (and enthralled) by Horizon and (like mstaft) A Kind of Hush. As later Carpenters' music was released and then those after 1983 were made available, I was ecstatic, and I was comforted. So on February 4, 2015, I had to hear Karen's beautiful voice (as BarryT60 says, "to work on appreciation more than grief"): I played a CD I compiled of my top 21 Carpenters' songs; I sang along. I smiled, and I was comforted. I read the other tributes here. I smiled, and I was comforted...
i have a friend Rick Bartolini from Santa Rosa, CA. He IDOLIZES Olivia. I met him and we discovered our mutual interest. In 1998, we went to Las Vegas to watch Olivia perform, her first full concert in 16 years. As his career as a booking manager grew, Rick was able to book Olivia (and pick her up at the airport!) He had her dressing room stuffed with all kinds of goodies he knew she'd enjoy. He also placed some framed photos of Olivia and Karen Carpenter together in a little vignette. As if on a mental at home. Olivia was touched. At that time, she'd sing a John Denver/Karen Carpenter tribute during her shows. "Karen was my buddy," she'd say.

Mark, I am finally winding down after a long day and I have headphones on and listening to Voice of the Heart....one of my favorite albums, reading these lovely comments now...what a perfect way to end this remembrance day in my opinion. What an amazing voice she had, this album still tugs at my heartstrings....:love:
It's one of my favorites too, Chris. It's becoming easier to separate the album from the circumstances surrounding its release. Many wonderful recordings found there!

First, let me give my appreciation and kudos to all the eloquent tributes that have preceded my words (and perhaps to those who will follow mine). I had to allow the entire day (Feb 4th) to play out before I could join this discussion. You see, on the evening of February 4, 2015, I was with one of Karen's best friends... Well, to be specific, I attended a concert in Clearwater, Florida put on by Olivia Newton-John---my first time seeing her in concert. (I know that pleases Chris, an Ordinary Fool, among others.) So it was Olivia, a few hundred others, and me... I had hoped that she might make mention of Karen and maybe even sing a Carpenters' song (she has recorded "Rainy Days and Mondays," for instance). But that wasn't to be. Still, Olivia put on a great show.

Every year as the date of February 4th approaches, I grow restless and my heart is heavy. After all this time, the ironic thing is that, while Karen's voice has always comforted me, this date brings me in need of comfort yet again. When things in middle school and high school were close to unbearable for me, I played Karen and I was comforted. After high school graduation, as I was coming out of my shell and becoming my own person, I was comforted (and enthralled) by Horizon and (like mstaft) A Kind of Hush. As later Carpenters' music was released and then those after 1983 were made available, I was ecstatic, and I was comforted. So on February 4, 2015, I had to hear Karen's beautiful voice (as BarryT60 says, "to work on appreciation more than grief"): I played a CD I compiled of my top 21 Carpenters' songs; I sang along. I smiled, and I was comforted. I read the other tributes here. I smiled, and I was comforted...

I hope that your heart feels less heavy now that the 4th February has passed for another year. All I would say as far as future anniversaries go is that Karen wouldn't want you, or any of us, to be sad.

I hope that your heart feels less heavy now that the 4th February has passed for another year. All I would say as far as future anniversaries go is that Karen wouldn't want you, or any of us, to be sad.

wideawakeat4am: Thank you so much for your concern and your kind words. :) The sadness has faded, and it's been overtaken by the joy, mainly from the positive feedback/interaction here and the enjoyment from reading all these terrific posts!

I think Karen if she were here with us, would be so touched that her fans still remember and talk about her, even after all these years....

I always wonder what her voice would sound like...but I could definitely see her working in the entertainment industry, whether on tv, or on a tv show, tv special, or maybe a Dancing With The Stars kinda venue....

Listening to her voice, takes me back to the spring, summer of 1988....Superstar, Ticket To Ride, Close To You....then I heard I Won't Last A Day Without you which I just loved, and Sweet Sweet Smile which was fun to hear....and the fall of 1988 when I heard Now, and Look To Your Dreams, and Sandy, and One More Time and I Have You...then the amazing oldies medley on the Now and Then album...followed by the 39 voice chord which gave me chills on the I'll Never Fall In Love Again number which sounded so sophisticated. I loved her voice on Another Song and Crescent Noon....Mr Guder's harmonies astounded me....Begun was beautifully sung....I always link One Love, A Place To Hideaway and Maybe It's You as a 3 part song...I remember I wept upon hearing Rainbow Connection, before it was released on As Time Goes By...it was so sweet to hear THAT voice again....same with Trying To Get The Feeling Again....

The first time I ever saw her image was for the tv promotion in 1988 of REMINSCING where they showed clips of her singing...and my heart stopped. Finally when I was able to purchase YESTERDAY ONCE MORE video...I was in heaven and watched it over and over again....

She was definitely the soundtrack to MY life, and I am sure everyone can agree that she was THEIR soundtrack....RIP Sweet Songbird Karen Carpenter....

Coming in late to the discussion as usual, but I posted a commemoration on my blog, to the accompaniment of Ravel's "Pavane for a Dead Princess," at http://splashingrocks.blogspot.com/2015/02/pavane-for-dead-princess-karen.html. There is something about that composition that seems to strike just the right melancholy-but-beautiful note for remembering the greatest singer of wistful ballads -- among many other genres.

Just read your tribute Yamaguchi. How thoughtful, provocative, resourceful, dignified, respectful and a class act article all the way.
Thank you for your contributions.

Jeff

I agree, thanks Yamaguchi for your link and article, very nice, I even listened to the classical piece to relax me this evening as I read your article.

This is a good point you wrote:
"And in those East Asian cultures (Japan, China, Thailand, etc.) that are not infected by the bizarre biases of American's twisted contemporary tastes, the musical legacy of Karen and the Carpenters lives on and grows in brightness like an unquenchable flame."

The Japan audience has really carried the torch for Carpenters since Karen's passing, so many limited edition box sets, cd's distributed and authorized by Richard in Japan which signifies that the flame continues to burn bright.

I have been reading all the comments here & have been trying to find something meaningful to say. You all have said so many wonderful things about Karen. I know it probably sounds ridiculous but Feb 4th didn't click with me. Well actually something was clicking with me because I had been going through a difficult time & had been listening to some of Karen's music. I ended up feeling more emotional & finally someone told me about Feb. 4th being the anniversary of her death. Apparently my heart was more in tune than my mind. I was looking at some YouTube videos of many of Karen's performances & stumbled upon a tribute by someone that goes by "sisterlead02."
It . was entitled "Karen Carpenter: I miss you. It was a very nice slideshow of pictures of Karen but it was the song itself that caused me to breakdown in tears. I know how much people loved her & miss her but have never really heard anything that moved me the way that song did. Miley Cyrus sang the song which she originally did after her grandfathers death. The song was very simple but the words expressed so much the way I miss Karen but have never been able to find the right words or song that could do it. This video did it perfectly. I was 14 when Karen hit the music scene. I fell in love with her voice & the words she sang, they held so much meaning for me. I .grew up quite poor but X-mas that year I unwrapped my gift & it was the "Close to You album" & it was the best gift I could ever have received. It's been 45 years & I still have that album. After that my home was filled with her music. Considering all the songs she sang, there is only one that wrapped it's arms around my heart & has never let go. It expressed how I felt then, how I feel now & will feel forever. The song was "Yesterday Once More." It was her songs I waited to hear on my radio & oh..how they made me smile. I don't want anyone to ever forget the gift she gave us all...her voice, so I talk about her, her voice, her passion & how much she is loved & missed. Just last night I was talking to a young man to get help with my computer & music came up & & Karen came up. He talked so much about her music & the love he felt in her voice & how much it moved him. He sang a few bars from 3-4 of her songs & told me his favorite was "I Need To Be In Love' which gave me the perfect opportunity to share with him that it was her favorite song as well & she even said in an interview that although it was her favorite, she had a hard time singing it because it upset her. By the time our conversation ended, I found out 3 things about Clark. One..he was in the Manilla...the Phillipines (I know I blew that spelling) two, he grew up loving the Carpenters & three, he was born on March 2nd of 1983, which of course was Karen's birthday as well. I don't think he is able to miss her as many of us do, but after our conversation, he did understand why she was so loved. It is just more proof that although she is not with us anymore, her music is & it continues to reach more & more generations. Actually I must correct myself here, Karen is always right here beside each of us every time we hear her songs. I need to apologize for rambling on so. This is my 1st post & the 1st time I was sharing it with others who feel as deeply about Karen as I do...but it felt so good to talk about her & see what others have said about her.

Wonderful blog commentary, Yamaguchi! Thank you for sharing it with us. And thanks to all who have posted their beautiful thoughts and memories of Karen here.

Welcome aboard Fan1970! How well I relate to your expression and Xmas day of 1970 was my CTY lp intro as well.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom