• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

RIAA: Who are the Pirates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting. The idea, too, is similar to how software licenses work. I bought Photoshop on version 3.0 several years ago. I am able to upgrade to a future version for a reduced cost. What I'm doing is buying a new version on my old license; I am NOT buying a second product with a second license (unless I am paying full price for a non-upgrade version). I cannot even donate my old version of the softwrae to anyone, since that would be a licensing violation...I would have to surrender my upgrades at the same time.

I don't know if this would be practical for music, but it SHOULD wake up a few folks to the fact that a lot of us have purchased multiple copies of the same music time and time again.

I'm on my fourth--no, fifth--copy of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". I bought the LP in the early 80s, used to hear if I'd like it. I bought the first CD issue. Because that sounded bad, I bought a Columbia Jazz Masterpieces reissue, which sounded worse. I skipped the gold CD, but bought the fourth CD version of it, remastered from a 3-track Presto reel deck. And just recently, I got it on SACD. I'm also thinking of a lot of LPs I (foolishly) traded in for CDs back in the 80s, too, not to mention discs that I have multiple copies of or in different formats.

One might say that the number of discarded and duplicate copies outweighs whatever the industry claims is lost to piracy and "file sharing". (Heck, reissues are a cash cow for them!) If that's the case, why don't they write it off as an even deal and quit hounding us. :wink:

Everything makes sense there. The one stumbling block I see (besides his ignorance of the differences between "there", "their" and "they're" and use of the non-word "alot" (which will be auto-fixed by the forum here in my post) is the part about royalties. The artists will oppose the idea since they DO get royalties with every "re-purchase." Unless maybe someone can concoct a royalty schedule for "upgrades"...

I for one would LOVE to convert my entire collection to CD as most of it will likely NEVER see the light of day on CD...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom