šŸŽ¤ Interview Richard Carpenter Interview 2014

Harry, you hit the nail on the head.
I can't even imagine the loss that Richard has gone through in his lifetime.
Thankfully he has done his best to keep the legacy alive.

I understand why he feels this way and I can't imagine there is much left to release but as someone mentioned there are other ways he could counteract this issue. I truly believe he needs to somehow make an effort to compile 1 last DVD of some of their Christmas segments, not the corny stuff and skits but the actual musical numbers...I can't understand for the life of me why a song like, "Merry Christmas Darling" of which was filmed almost to look like a music video, has never made it way to an official DVD digital format. I so long for that performance in high DVD quality of at least 480 resolution.

While I understand his viewpoint and respect it....I also feel the fans are the ones that really miss out on his decision to "why bother do anything else", I look at it like....why penalize the fan base for this viewpoint?

I agree, Chris. Richard may feel like there's nothing left, but those of us who have been lifelong fans (and new fans, too) would treasure any new material. We have been here for years and our musical devotion continues!

Looks like RC has donated his (or a) Steinway piano:

Musical Theatre West held its fourth annual Great American Songbook Sing-a-long at the Carpenter Center Theater on Jan. 17 with more than 300 guests tuned in as songbirds.
The enthusiastic throng dined onstage and then sang along, with MTW performers, to some 30 songs written by popular composer Irving Berlin. Executive Director/Producer Paul Garman and Box Office Manager Michael Bett offered commentary on some of the songs and talked of Berlinā€™s great patriotism as a Russian immigrant to the U.S. in the early 1900s.
A highlight of the evening was at the end of the first act when the group began singing ā€œGod Bless Americaā€ and the entire audience rose as one as if on cue.
Popular Musical Theatre West performers leading the singing included: Damon Kirsche (ā€œMan of La Manchaā€ and ā€œ42nd Streetā€); Ashley Linton (ā€œSunset Boulevardā€); Rebecca Johnson (ā€œYoung Frankensteinā€); Dan Calloway (ā€œSweeney Todd,ā€ ā€œSpamalotā€), and Rebecca Spencer (ā€œThe Music Manā€). Corey Hirsch was at the Steinway, a gift to the Carpenter Center Theater by namesake Richard Carpenter.http://www.presstelegram.com/social-affairs/20140208/dancing-the-night-away-for-memorial

I understand respecting Richard's choices. His music, his call. Got that loud and clear. Essentially being a tried and true spoiled brat with all things CarpenterS what I don't get is deprivation. Years ago I felt deprived at having quit smoking (successfully I might add...tk you tk you) it passed I moved on. This jonesing for Karen thing...things we KNOW exist behind a door, a door I keep clawing-n-scratchin' at where the gatekeeper hears me not, is not only another endless round of deprivation... it's tantrum material! Holy man on a crutch!!! This stubborn old me is gonna out wait him, wait and see!

Or....I'll just keep appreciating Gary's titillating contributions to our little forum. So much easier on the manicure.

Jeff

Looks like RC has donated his (or a) Steinway piano:

This reminds me of years back - Top Of The World 2005 - Richard had the Steinway moved from his house down to CPAC for that event (he didn't exactly tell the guests that). He's pretty anal about stuff and as a matter of fact, he and his daughter performed Solitaire on that piano, and from what I recall, it was the same one used to track the Horizon stuff. Fun to hear him playing those same songs/intros years later with the same inflection and tone... :wink:

I agree, Chris. Richard may feel like there's nothing left, but those of us who have been lifelong fans (and new fans, too) would treasure any new material. We have been here for years and our musical devotion continues!

Pretty much this ^^^

I do understand Richard's reasons, however, it doesn't sit right with me that he doesn't use at least some of what he has.

Pretty much this ^^^

I do understand Richard's reasons, however, it doesn't sit right with me that he doesn't use at least some of what he has.

The only thing that bothers me [personally] about this whole side of the argument (and hear me out guys), is this: At what point does Richard, the human being, the individual, the dad, and the husband get to have his own life and identity? True, he was one-half of the Carpenters. But honestly, he's released a TON in the last 30 years that truthfully never had to see the light of day. Granted more compilations w/remixes, but we still got several unreleased cuts. I agree, would be great to hear some of this stuff, but quite frankly, Richard doesn't owe us anything and I'm sure he'd love to spend the remainder of his life enjoying it on his own terms, and not ours. :sigh:

I agree with you, Chris. If Richard wants to keep whatever remains "in the vault", then it is his call.

How many of us have had photos taken of ourselves and found that only 1 or 2 of a batch were really worthy of being enlarged and distributed? Do you distribute the one where your eyes are closed? Your grandmother might want to see all of the photos, but you only feel comfortable distributing the best shots. Right?

The only thing that bothers me [personally] about this whole side of the argument (and hear me out guys), is this: At what point does Richard, the human being, the individual, the dad, and the husband get to have his own life and identity? True, he was one-half of the Carpenters. But honestly, he's released a TON in the last 30 years that truthfully never had to see the light of day. Granted more compilations w/remixes, but we still got several unreleased cuts. I agree, would be great to hear some of this stuff, but quite frankly, Richard doesn't owe us anything and I'm sure he'd love to spend the last 15 years of his life enjoying it on his own terms, and not ours. :sigh:

I do see what you mean, I really do, but whilst I don't think he "owes" us anything I don't think we're being that unreasonable either.

If tracks like "Close To You" can be re-released time and again, I don't see why the solo album can't be released again and, this time, with a couple of previously unreleased tracks. I don't think that this is much to ask.

I agree with you, Chris. If Richard wants to keep whatever remains "in the vault", then it is his call.

How many of us have had photos taken of ourselves and found that only 1 or 2 of a batch were really worthy of being enlarged and distributed? Do you distribute the one where your eyes are closed? Your grandmother might want to see all of the photos, but you only feel comfortable distributing the best shots. Right?

Depends on who's in the photos. If someone featured had been dead for thirty or so years, had had a famous singing career and still had millions of fans across the world, then maybe you would show them all.

If tracks like "Close To You" can be re-released time and again, I don't see why the solo album can't be released again and, this time, with a couple of previously unreleased tracks.

"(They Long To Be) Close To You" was a number one-selling single. It's status as a Carpenters "evergreen" is assured. The reason it's out there so many times is that when people pick up a Carpenters compilation, they EXPECT to find it there.

The solo album on the other hand was a poor seller. Fact. The extra tracks are commonly bootlegged, so anyone who really wants them has already got them in their rough form. Fact.

For what business reason would Richard and a record company pour time and money into an album that likely would be a loser, financial-wise? Yes, it would be lovely for us fans to have a bright and shiny new CD package containing all of the original solo album tracks, a second CD with the cleaned up bonus tracks, original artwork restored and enhanced, a full booklet with remembrances from surviving musicians, maybe even a mini-LP package. It would be great for the few thousand fans who might buy it - and a money loser for a record label. So why do it? Good will? It makes YOU feel better? (And I'm not picking specifically on you, wideawake, but you're the one pressing the issue here.)

The solo album has a track record. It's poor. There's little reason to "go there" again.

The fact that Richard DID do some remixing on several of the tracks and that he's included a few of them on a decent number of compilations tells me that he does indeed hear the fans.

IMHO, better to count your lucky stars that it came out once - that you have a copy - and go enjoy it for what it is.

Harry

Harry[/quote]
"(They Long To Be) Close To You" was a number one-selling single. It's status as a Carpenters "evergreen" is assured. The reason it's out there so many times is that when people pick up a Carpenters compilation, they EXPECT to find it there.

The solo album on the other hand was a poor seller. Fact. The extra tracks are commonly bootlegged, so anyone who really wants them has already got them in their rough form. Fact.

For what business reason would Richard and a record company pour time and money into an album that likely would be a loser, financial-wise? Yes, it would be lovely for us fans to have a bright and shiny new CD package containing all of the original solo album tracks, a second CD with the cleaned up bonus tracks, original artwork restored and enhanced, a full booklet with remembrances from surviving musicians, maybe even a mini-LP package. It would be great for the few thousand fans who might buy it - and a money loser for a record label. So why do it? Good will? It makes YOU feel better? (And I'm not picking specifically on you, wideawake, but you're the one pressing the issue here.)

The solo album has a track record. It's poor. There's little reason to "go there" again.

The fact that Richard DID do some remixing on several of the tracks and that he's included a few of them on a decent number of compilations tells me that he does indeed hear the fans.

IMHO, better to count your lucky stars that it came out once - that you have a copy - and go enjoy it for what it is.

Harry

I fully appreciate that money comes into it and that it may not on the surface make good business sense to re-release Karen's album, however, I don't think that it was exactly well promoted when it was released originally - that may account for its poor performance....or not.

Anyway, I sense my views on this are not really welcomed so let's leave it there.

Yes, it would be lovely for us fans to have a bright and shiny new CD package containing all of the original solo album tracks, a second CD with the cleaned up bonus tracks, original artwork restored and enhanced, a full booklet with remembrances from surviving musicians, maybe even a mini-LP package.

Original artwork and booklet yes but personally, I wouldn't welcome this, if it ever did become a reality. The bonus tracks are way below par and wouldn't do her legacy any favours, with the exception of two or three tracks. Songs like 'Jimmy Mack', 'It's Really You' and 'Midnight' are pretty poor and way out of her range. When I listen to those tracks, I 'hear' Richard's criticism of what Phil Ramone was trying to do. But they were just outtakes. Richard doesn't rate the album full stop, so he's never going to release the rest, not at his time in life.

If we got a re-release at all, I'd opt only for 'Something's Missing' (remixed), 'Don't Try To Win Me Back Again' (remixed) and 'Love Making Love To You'. The latter should have been included on the final tracklist, it's amazing in its final mix.

It's interesting how almost every topic on the forum seems to revert back to Karen's solo album.

A couple of points people need to remember here:

Karen's album did get a decent amount of promotion.There was plenty of media attention given to the album-articles in Billboard,Rolling Stone,New York Times,etc. Everybody knew the album was out. And,I should emphasize that record buyers make it their business to know about when their favorite artists have a new album out.Speaking for myself,I used to visit a record store at least once a month to keep tabs on new releases & reissues.

By the time Karen's album did come out,more than half of it had already appeared on previous albums.In all likelihood,Richard probably included "My Body" and "Still Crazy" on the (From The Top) boxed set as a sales push-figuring people would buy the boxed set just to get those two solo tracks.Yet,that strategy didn't work-the boxed set didn't sell well. I think the bottom line is -Richard included the best solo tracks on "Lovelines" in 1989.Most people were aware of & accepted that fact-and they didn't focus any further attention on the solo album.

Harry

I fully appreciate that money comes into it and that it may not on the surface make good business sense to re-release Karen's album, however, I don't think that it was exactly well promoted when it was released originally - that may account for its poor performance....or not.

Anyway, I sense my views on this are not really welcomed so let's leave it there.
I like hearing everyone's thoughts on things Carpenter. So, thanks for speaking up!

It's interesting how almost every topic on the forum seems to revert back to Karen's solo album.

Boy, ain't that the truth...

It's not just you. It's been a constant discussion topic since there've been Internet forums on which to discuss things.

Harry

Another fact is that music is marketed much differently today than it was the last time Karen's solo work was released. You don't need to spend enormous amounts of money to promote your music effectively to a specific target. Therefore you don't need to top the Billboard charts to recoup your investment. Hell, I've seen artists use Kickstarter very successfully to finance projects -- fans pay for the music they want. I'm happy with the Carpenters catalog exactly as it stands, but if Richard or anyone wanted to provide "just the fans" with CDs or downloads, they could do it and not have to worry about the expense. If Rich doesn't want to do it, that's cool. I tend to agree with those who say he's spent more than enough of his life keeping the flame burning. If his kids would want to pick it back up down the road...well, maybe there's some hope there.

Maybe there should be a list of banned / discussed-to-death topics somewhere prominent?

Just so we know the roads not to go down.

Serious suggestion.

It's not just you. It's been a constant discussion topic since there've been Internet forums on which to discuss things.

Harry

I understand that, but sadly the list of subjects to discuss isn't exactly huge.

I appreciate that your knowledge far outweighs mine and I wasn't trying to 'take you on' - on reflection, my views on the solo album maybe a tad rose-tinted.

Maybe there should be a list of banned / discussed-to-death topics somewhere prominent?

Just so we know the roads not to go down.

I first off want to say THANK YOU 'wideawakeat4am' for ALL of your opinions and insight. I'm genuine in saying this, and in no way want you to feel like you can't share your thoughts and voice them here at any time! I also agree with a few of your points. However, I think some of the push back you are feeling, is from those of us who have looked at this from a 20,000 ft. perspective over a lot of years. I can remember [no joke] 16 years ago asking Richard if there was anything else "unreleased" that he would be working on to polish up and release, and distinctly remember him saying no, not really. In hindsight we know that things turned out differently.

I think the reason I support his decision to call it quits is because, let's be honest, he HAS released a ton of material that had been previously unreleased prior to Karen's passing, and I don't think that the only reason God made Richard Carpenter was so that we get every last thing ever recorded by his sister - for whatever our reasons may be (her voice, her legacy, her tragedy).

Just for the sake of healthy argument, I went back thru their catalog to look at every previously unreleased track that was released after Karen died, and counted upwards of 60+ recordings (including Lovelines, From The Top, Karen Carpenter & As Time Goes By). I'm not really sure where people are missing the reality that Richard has definitely gone above and beyond to please fans, and I think I can say that at some point he deserves a break! Just my $.02 of course :D

Last edited:
Lordy, Lordy, LORDY!!! We are a passionate bunch ain't we? I absolutely thrive on the tired re-hashes. That' why it's called a re-hash. Anyway, I applaud all who comment, wish, hope, speculate or whine here. Keeps me from feeling isolated in my thoughts and opinions. So I say let's not put the nail in the coffin topics-wise as it were. If it wasn't for marked interest and the curious this site would expire. Keeping interest alive however is every bit as useful as having the 20,000 ft. perspective. If the masses or lack thereof said we're gonna burn all things CarpenterS the music would cease to exist. Fanning the flames of burning interest would be flattering if I were sitting in the money chair with my feet up. Sometimes exhilarating and others exhausting yet in the final analysis this forum is a lot of fun regardless.

Jeff

If I'm being honest with myself....I'm 95% complete in all that we have been given thus far....I am so grateful that Richard has given us all that he has since Karen passed away. I have managed to collect just about all of those gems. I yearn to one day get that 5% fulfilled...so that I may be 100% complete....it's tugging at my heartstrings with each year that passes....I would hope Richard would consider one day to put together a collectors DVD of their most beloved Christmas videos, no corny scenes just the music, music music...start it off with the Frosted Window panes video of R&K getting ready for the holidays, Merry Christmas Darling, Sleigh Bells, White Christmas, Christ is Born......etc....all those special performances of just the music...a 10 video DVD will do me fine!! :)

I know we will probably never get something like this but it's my wish and it will continue to be my wish, (no demands) just an old fashioned wish. It's a good thing to be a fan and still "hunger" after an artists work even if you know it may never happen. :)

Back
Top Bottom