• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard & Joe Osborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1kandrfan

There was a post on Joe Osborn's Facebook page regarding an upcoming project with Richard - wonder if this is a continuation of the Christmas project or a new one?

Joe is looking forward to an upcoming recording project with Richard Carpenter in Hollywood. We'll post more details as we receive them.

I know a lot of people are hoping for the RC solo album, but I'm going to wish that Joe and RC are completing a few Karen & Richard Tracks from the vault...or completing some of Karen's solo unfinished music. Just dreaming....

I'm sure all you facebook fans already know this but in case your not into facebook, Joe Osborn's facebook page has been updating info regarding his recording session with Richard. It looks to me like Richard may be releasing or at least working on a Christmas album.
I wonder if the female vocalist would be his daughter Mindy? What are your thoughts?

Credit:
http://www.facebook.com/joeosbornbassplayer

3 hrs ago
Joe said that the sessions went great yesterday and they will be back at it soon today. They are recording at Bill Schnee Studio with a 4-pc. band. Richard Carpenter is on keys, Tim May on guitar, Joe on bass, and a drummer (didn't get his name). A female vocalist (need her name, too) is singing the songs, which are Christmas/holiday tunes. Best news of all - Joe said that the new bass that Fender just custom-made for him is sounding great!

Yesterday
Joe's getting ready to be picked up to head to the studio for his first session today. He had to take a walk today to the pharmacy....the airlines took his Listerine because it was more than 4 oz. and his aerosol hairspray because it was in his carry-on luggage. Sounds like the recording part of this trip will be much easier for Joe than the traveling part!

Monday 6-18-2012
Joe is headed to Hollywood this week to record with Richard Carpenter. Still the first-call bassist after all of these years. We'll post updates from Joe as the project unfolds.

The project really does seem like "history repeating itself"... After all, Joe was quoted as how "he learned a lot from those kids", as in Richard & Karen...

However, there's little of it you can really take with you through these years w/o Karen (as well as the rest of the stellar cast, which The Carpenters had worked with during their career), so with 'the necessity of a female vocalist' needed, at least in retaining the 'original concept' it has to be somebody...

-- Dave :shrug:

It's very ironic that they didn't list the name of the drummer on these sessions - it's Michael Shapiro, Sergio's drummer for the last 20+ years and Herb's drummer for the last 5 or 6..... Richard's daughter is not the vocalist but I'm not sure who is......

It does seem odd the drummer was not named, I wonder why Cubby O'Brien was not used? I can understand not giving away the name of the vocalist so we are suprised. It appears from his facebook page that he doesn't actually write on it but someone else.

A recent post says Joe will be rehearsing at Richard Carpenter's house over the weekend with Richard and the vocalist and then back to the studio on Monday and Tuesday. It leaves alot of questions though, are they trying to recreate Carpenters sound or working with a new artist? One thing is certain, it's Christmas in June in California. :D I can't help but remember how fond Karen was of Christmas music.

It's very ironic that they didn't list the name of the drummer on these sessions - it's Michael Shapiro, Sergio's drummer for the last 20+ years and Herb's drummer for the last 5 or 6..... Richard's daughter is not the vocalist but I'm not sure who is......

I do know a great keyboardist I could recommend to Richard... :wink:

I'm hoping for at least one KC lead vocal!
And, Richard and whoever the Record Label is for this project surely know
that with Karen even on one song will sell more copies than without.

Joe posted some pictures a few days ago on Facebook - and then they were removed! It included pictures of Richard; a drummer (his name was listed but I can't remember it). There was also a picture of Tim May (guitarist). The interesting tidbit was a photo of what looked like a workbook/binder - it had Joe's name on it along with "2012" - and the illustration on the front of this book had a picture of Richard and Karen (seperate photos). And while I will support anything Richard releases, it would be nice if a gem with Karen was included..

Danny, I understand what you are asking, but No, I won't stop asking for more Karen stuff. I appreciate that Richard would like to move on, but for those of us who are fans of Karen, we will always want to hear whatever is left. Outtakes with or without mistakes. And no, I don't personally call Richard and ask him for stuff. I post in this open forum. And do you think Richard cares that people are asking for more more Karen?
So with that being said, I'm going to say it again. I hope there is one Karen track on Richard's solo Christmas album. Sorry Danny.

Joe posted some pictures a few days ago on Facebook - and then they were removed! It included pictures of Richard; a drummer (his name was listed but I can't remember it). There was also a picture of Tim May (guitarist). The interesting tidbit was a photo of what looked like a workbook/binder - it had Joe's name on it along with "2012" - and the illustration on the front of this book had a picture of Richard and Karen (seperate photos). And while I will support anything Richard releases, it would be nice if a gem with Karen was included..

I noticed those pictures had been taken down too! They were really revealing. The cover of Joe's music sheet binder with both Richard and Karen's photo on it was quite suggestive of the fact that this is some kind of Carpenters session, not a Richard solo session. I wonder if it's Richard who asked him to take them down?

If Richard plans to release a new CD this Christmas, at what point do you think we will know if this is true for this year? I mean we are almost into September, if it was going to be released in Decemeber, wouldn't it be getting ready for pressing now at the manufacture? I know some of you here have worked in radio or recording, would it hit some type of list to confirm a release this Christmas/Thanksgiving. I'm assuming this would be a A&M release?

Unless they're going to release it as an itunes sale only :wink:. Richard, effectively, doesn't have a label or recording contract any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom