• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard & Joe Osborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to say that every time I see this thread re-surface I'm reminded of what never happened in post #1 and it makes me sad yet what Chris just mentioned above could turn my :cry: into :).

There was a delay and I didn't get the footage until this morning. You guys are gonna be in for a TREAT. It's actually three hours worth, and it's the '76 Hits Medley primarily along with some other stuff from As Time Goes By. Richard and Joe are working, with all of the stops and starts, vocals mixed in and out and in some cases out of the playback completely with instrumental tracks that Joe is playing along to - basically a typical recording session! LOL (albeit Carpenters). This was all done at Capitol Studios, Studio "C".

I'm currently watching through it, and if you guys can be patient, I will try and isolate and upload a snippet by tonight. Here's the deal, this is definitely not something Richard would normally EVER put out there publicly because it's a much different look at things compared to what the buying public would see (i.e. behaviors, dialogue, smoking, alternate mix versions and transparency of the songs etc). I'd like to keep it here at the forum, and will password protect it. I think it's too good to not share, however with a limited audience.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
There was a delay and I didn't get the footage until this morning. You guys are gonna be in for a TREAT. It's actually three hours worth, and it's the '76 Hits Medley primarily along with some other stuff from As Time Goes By. Richard and Joe are working, with all of the stops and starts, vocals mixed in and out and in some cases out of the playback completely with instrumental tracks that Joe is playing along to - basically a typical recording session! LOL (albeit Carpenters). This was all done at Capitol Studios, Studio "C".

I'm currently watching through it, and if you guys can be patient, I will try and isolate and upload a snippet by tonight. Here's the deal, this is definitely not something Richard would normally EVER put out there publicly because it's a much different look at things compared to what the buying public would see (i.e. behaviors, dialogue, smoking, alternate mix versions and transparency of the songs etc). I'd like to keep it here at the forum, and will password protect it. I think it's too good not to share, however with a limited audience.

Stay tuned...
Awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm currently watching through it, and if you guys can be patient, I will try and isolate and upload a snippet by tonight. Here's the deal, this is definitely not something Richard would normally EVER put out there publicly because it's a much different look at things compared to what the buying public would see (i.e. behaviors, dialogue, smoking, alternate mix versions and transparency of the songs etc). I'd like to keep it here at the forum, and will password protect it. I think it's too good to not share, however with a limited audience.

Stay tuned...

I think I have just died and gone to heaven!!!

Oh, awesome!! I'm always here for alternate mixes. Too bad there were no other outtakes on the footage though. Imagine having them work on something like Thank You For The Music or some other outtakes. <3

Oh, awesome!! I'm always here for alternate mixes. Too bad there were no other outtakes on the footage though. Imagine having them work on something like Thank You For The Music or some other outtakes. <3

Actually there are - I still have so much more to go, but I've already stumbled across part of Comin' Thru The Rye, where Richard's on the lead - sounding fantastic BTW...

Last edited:
Chris your teasing and doing a great job :laugh:
I think I have a mp3 of Coming Through The Rye/Good Vibrations with Richard replacing John Denver's part, it might be a live version from a concert, I'm not sure I need to find that.

Edit: Yeah, found it in my iTunes library, it's a live version with Richard doing JD's part.

Chris your teasing and doing a great job :laugh:
I think I have a mp3 of Coming Through The Rye/Good Vibrations with Richard replacing John Denver's part, it might be a live version from a concert, I'm not sure I need to find that.

I still have about another hour and forty minutes to watch tonight when I get back home. One thing I will say, there was some unreleased stuff of Karen that never even made it on the "unreleased songs" list noted in Mook and various forums. On another note, will try to upload at least one clip a little later :)

Sorry to keep coming back to this - just didn't want to leave anyone hanging. I was up until around 10pm last night watching thru several hours of studio footage for the As Time Goes By album.

Here's the overview: This was taped in '98, and Joe Osborn, Richard, copyist Ron Gorow and manager David Alley (amongst a couple of others) are in Capitol Records' studio "C" . This is all the re-recording of bass tracks and raw playback for Superstar/Rainy Days Medley, '76 Hits Medley, Nowhere Man, California Dreamin', Comin' Thru The Rye, & One Of The Nicer Things.

Because of its length, I need to spend a little time editing out snippets that I feel comfortable uploading. Some of this stuff is pretty rare, and out of respect for Richard I want to use discretion while posting, yet still give fans a look in somehow. I'll be working on this and as soon as I have something solid uploaded, I'll either post here or start a new thread specific to ATGB sessions, etc. Thanks for your patience! :)

Last edited:
My thanks, as well, Chris.

Like others, I've seen the Lakin clip before and what is so striking about it is Richard's demeanor. He seems so relaxed - really in his element. It's a pleasure to watch.

I've got a clip that is rendering that I will post shortly. It's not an unreleased song, however it IS a very intriguing look at how Richard and Joe worked as well as a good look at how a recording session works in the studio with regard to raw, unmixed tracks on tape. Standby...

Here ya go! This is the '76 Hits Medley - Dan Woodhams played bass on the original recording cut for the television show. Joe is here taking his first pass at playing down the chart (which he comes back to later on several times) to record his own bass line to replace Danny's. The playback you hear is off the master (a digital transfer from the original analog multi-track), and you hear the orchestra, backing vocals and Joe's bass coming through the recording console. Karen's vocal is mixed out for this part of the session. Joe is also playing on the bass that was eventually given to Richard for his own personal collection. Enjoy :)

I love it!!
Wow the audio is excellent were they really hearing the playback this loud in the studio? I love seeing Richard in his element it gives you a glimpse of how it use to be. It's also really cool to hear some background vocals from Karen at the beginning gave me goosebumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom